What's new

Fast Times at Ridgemont High - new version in November vs. High School Reunion SE? (1 Viewer)

Patrick.C

Second Unit
I've been meaning to pick up Fast Times for a while and just noticed that there's a new version coming out in November. According to Amazon (I know, not the best source to go by) the new version has the following features:

* Commentary by director Amy Heckerling and writer Cameron Crowe
* "Reliving our Fast Times at Ridgemont High" documentary
* Music highlights
* A video map and more
* Widescreen anamorphic format

and the current "High School Reunion" version has the following:

* Commentary by director Amy Heckerling & screenwriter Cameron Crowe
* Production notes
* Theatrical trailer(s)
* Documentary: Reliving Our Fast Times At Ridgemont High
* Music Highlights
* Hangouts of Ridgemont High: A Video Map
* Parental Lock
* Universal Web Link
* Widescreen anamorphic format

These look like basically the same disc. Does anyone have any further details about the new version? Is it a new transfer, etc.?

Kevin M

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Ray
Yes, those are exactly the same contents of the previous disc....not to worry as the old transfer was pretty good however IMO the DVD's original mono soundtrack was rather thin and "tinny" even for an older mono track. I don't require any 5.1 remix or anything but at least they could have sweetened it up bit or boosted the bass or something, it sounds really bad to my ears.

Kevin M

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Ray
They remixed it?
Hmm......I'll still wait until I hear some feedback on this - no pun intended :D - but I just may double dip on this one if the track has been improved sonically over the previous DVD (as I said, 5.1 isn't a big factor for me).

Dave Mack

Senior HTF Member
interesting... It's such a music heavy flick and the sound is pretty flat... Hmmmm....

Jay Pennington

Screenwriter
A remix with the respect and subtlety of the recent Blazing Saddles DVD would be in order here. No new pasted-on sounds, just the original stems cleaned up and remastered in 5.1. It would be great to be able to hear the music so treated.

Rhoq

Supporting Actor
DVDEmpire.com has the following info...

There will be a separate Widescreen and Full Screen release. This info is, of course, from the Widescreen version)

11-2-2004

Fast Times At Ridgemont High, directed byiAmy Heckerling (Clueless), isisimplyia modern cult classic. First-time screenwriter Cameron Crowe (Jerry Maguire) went undercover asia high school student andicame back with theistraight dope onisex, drugs andirock'n'roll while capturing some of theimost memorable screen characters ever. They're all here, from Stacy (Jennifer Jason Lee) andiLinda's (Phoebe Cates) sexual misadventuresito go-getter Brad's (Judge Reinhold) quick careeriin theiworld of fast foodito theiunforgettable Spicoli (Sean Penn)ias theiultimate surfer dude. Add appearances byiNicolas Cage, Anthony Edwards, Forest Whitaker. Ray Walston andiEric Stoltz andiyou have an unbeatable cast. With all this talent behind it, no wonder Fast Times At Ridgemont High isias honest, fresh andifunnyias it wasia generation ago.

Product Information
Features:
Feature Commentary With Amy Heckerling and Screenwriter Cameron Crowe
Reliving Our Fast Times At Ridgemont High
Hangouts At Ridgemont High
Music Highlights

Patrick.C

Second Unit
From Universal's site:

Run Time: 1 Hour 30 Minutes
MPAA Rating: R
Bonus Materials

Reliving Our Fast Times at Ridgemont High
Feature Commentary with Director Amy Heckerling and Screenwriter Cameron Crowe
Hangouts of Ridgemont High Video Map
Production Notes
Cast and Filmmakers
Theatrical Trailer
Music Highlights

Technical Information
Audio:
English Dolby Digital 5.1 Surround
Spanish Dolby Digital 2.0 Mono
English DTS 5.1 Surround
Captions: English
Subtitles: French, Spanish
Picture: Anamorphic Widescreen (1.85:1)
Color

Jay Pennington

Screenwriter
Here's hoping the 5.1 was done as I described above!

It's too bad Amy Heckerling won't let them put the extra TV footage on there. Sure, not reincorporated, but would it be so bad to feature them in a deleted scenes section?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks