What's new

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
In the go-go early 1980s kids are fast-tracked on the route to becoming adults. For the students of Ridgemont High this means being thrust into jobs they hate, taking drugs, and experiencing sex early. Stacey (Jennifer Jason Leigh) hasn’t had sex yet but wants to, and is getting advice from much more experienced Linda (Phoebe Cates). Brad (Judge Reinhold) jumps from one embarrassing fast food job to the next but still feels like a big deal on track for management success. Damone’s (Robert Romanus) gig is scalping concert tickets at jacked up prices. Mark (Brian Backer) is lovelorn at the movies, and can’t seem to catch the signs that he’s got the greenlight for romance when it’s right in front of him. And Spicoli (Sean Penn), well Spicoli is going to float through life on a cloud of smoke, catching waves and hanging with his buds, even if it kills him.
The adults are all non-existent except for a handful of teachers. Mr. Hand (Ray Walston) is the strict disciplinarian, but even he...

Continue reading...

Last edited by a moderator:

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
The adults are all non-existent except for a handful of teachers.
I always found it odd that they show Stacy's mom saying good night to her before she sneaks out on a date since it's the only appearance of a parent in the movie.

Speaking of the music, I was happy to hear The Go-Gos got into the Rock And Roll Hall of Fame if only because of how good the opening of this movie is with "We Got The Beat".

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
That video really should have been included with the Criterion.

Also, RIP Adam Schlesinger, one of the early victims of the COVID crisis.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
@Sam Posten said

“ I’ll say this at the top of my lungs: Olivia Wilde needs her own talk show. She guides two very strong personalities through their magnum opus together and really elicits great responses. It’s clear that she really ‘gets’ this film and is a smart and thoughtful appreciator of cinema. I really don’t follow a lot of celebrities so wasn’t really familiar with her outside of a few films, but she is very talented in this arena.”

She is also an emerging great director having directed the hilarious Booksmart.

B-ROLL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan
That video really should have been included with the Criterion.

Also, RIP Adam Schlesinger, one of the early victims of the COVID crisis.
I suspect if the song were a UMG song it would be. But it looks to be managed by BMG ...

Christian D66

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Christian
Seeing this as a 13 year old film geek in 1981 was revelatory as it was the first youth film of the decade to capture the era's cultural vibe and that great opening is the ultimate 80's suburban mall experience (where I would go to see DAWN OF THE DEAD at midnights). Spicoli was an instant icon and it was one of those teen films that made you feel good about being a teen, despite all the bad shit. My older brother was outraged the abortion scene was so cavalier. I thought it was real and how I would have acted.

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
I was still in high school when this movie came out and it is one I have yet to add to my collection but I plan on adding the release from Criterion soon.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest posts

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks