fast motion blockiness in digital

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jimmy vb, Aug 29, 2002.

1. Jimmy vb

Jimmy vb Stunt Coordinator

Still working on my new Mitsubishie ws55809 to improve the picture. Progressive scan dvd looks fabulous. Digital cable looks so-so now, have the satellite guy coming today to see if I can get reception and kiss the folks at Adelphia goodbye except for a limited local channel package. Thh digital channels now actually look pretty good EXCEPT when fast motion action is there(mainly sports)--where I get some blockiness and visible digital effects. Is this just par for the course on digital signals for this type of tv? Is there an adjustment to help improve this? I am hoping that a better signal from satellite will help with this but I get a pretty good picture except when there is alot of motion and it seems related to the digital nature of the picture. Oh I live for the day when sports packages come out in hdtv--but that is at least a few years away. Any suggestions on how to improve this for now?

2. Gregg Loewen

Gregg Loewen Video Standards Instructor, THX Ltd.
    Insider

Gregg Loewen
    par for the course.

the blockiness is due to limited band width. You could try to turn down your sharpness control and see if this minimally helps.

regards

Gregg