Fast layer change

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by Rick Westfall, Nov 2, 2003.

1. Rick Westfall

Rick Westfall Stunt Coordinator

I don't have a big fancy TV (yet) so differences in video quality will be hard to pick up. If I upgrade my current DVD player (Panasonic A110) one of my biggest concerns is to get a player that changes layers without being noticed (or at least pretty darn fast). Throw some models out there...I don't want to go above $300

Thanks
    Rick

2. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

Rick, you're going to have to do some of your own research here (reading test reports, reading posts). Some players buffer the data, resulting in less-noticeable layer changes. But, really, what's the big deal? One DVD might take an entire second as the laser readjusts its focus, while some other discs might take less than a second. This, out of a film that lasts 120 minutes. At best, only the most minor of "inconveniences." Not worth, IMO, basing one's purchasing decision on.

3. matt-f

matt-f Second Unit

4. Rick Westfall

5. matt-f

matt-f Second Unit

One thing you can do is on some DVD titles, they actaully fit on one layer but they just put them on as two layers. If you just grab the movie part of the DVD and burn it to a DVD-R, you can enjoy watching your movie interrupted. I know some of my friends do this. Note, the movie material is not being edited at all, so it's a perfect copy except the movie is only there.

6. Rick Westfall

Interesting work around. Any loss of quality?

7. matt-f

matt-f Second Unit

Rick,

There is no loss in quality at all because you're just copying the movie file only (assuming that the file size does fit on a DVD-R) and just burning that only to the disc.

You will lose quality if you were re-encoding the file to make it fit on a DVD-R if the file size is larger than what a DVD-R can hold therefore, requiring the use of the two layers then there would be no point in copying in that case, unless you still want to.

One of my friends who owns an anime series(legit R1) who tested copying to DVD-R only the stuff he wanted - in this case, the episodes/English track only. Two of the volumes(dual layer) had 5 episodes and four(single layer) of the remaining volumes had 4 episodes. He told me the first two volumes had to be re-encoded since they were too big to fit, while the rest of the volumes were ok. This will give you an insight about how you want to proceed in copying what you want.

Hope this helps.

8. Kristoffer

Kristoffer Second Unit

My Denon 220 jas no layer change!