What's new

Fast food/ Restaurant Phobias (1 Viewer)

DonnyD

Screenwriter
Well, I can't really say I have a phobia about things concerning fast food joints nad restaurants but I definitely do have things that I watch out for.

Fast food joints: Persons who serve you are seldom seen washing their hands. You'll often see them wiping their noses or something, then handling your food.... even though it is usually packaged, it kinda grosses me out. I have been known to walk out of a joint if I notice anything like this.

Restaurants: I'll give one encounter as an example...
Some friends of mine opened a new restaurant recently and I decided to have lunch there. Within 15 minutes I witnessed the following:
1) Waitress came from the kitchen licking her fingers. Did not wash hands... went straight to the serving utensils and began wrapping them.
2) Owner of restaurant came out of kitchen licking HIS hands... I knew this experience was gonna be bad
3) Noted another waitress through kitchen serving window, looking down as if she was in the process of preparing something, then running her hand through her hair a few times during this. Then she came out of kitchen with two salads.
4) Went through the buffett line and the serving lady was saying something about a bandaid not sticking well. Handed me my plate and then I saw it... a loose bandaid on her hand that was holding the plate. After serving me, she proceeded to a bar ( in plain view of all) and changed her bandaid.
5) Another friend of mine was there cooking some of his "famous" chicken and dumplins'. I had a small serving of these and my first bite, I got a bone. The first three bites, I got three bones! I picked around the chicken parts to eat the dumplins. Then my friend who made the dumplins (which were VERY good, BTW) came out to tell me NOT to eat the dumplins.... the owner had run out of chicken breast and had used leg parcels for the meat, and obviously had not boned them well at all.

Give me a break!!! All this in 15 minutes and I have to add, I have never gone back. I know that my friend who owns this restaurant is a very heavy smoker.... wonder where he puts his ashes.....

I actually iddn't go in the restaurant to look for these things.... they just jumped out at me.

Let's hear some of yall's experiences at some food venues....

ThomasC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas
i was at the local wendy's a few weeks ago, and none of the employees were wearing gloves. i could see them handling the food but i don't recall seeing any of them licking their fingers or picking their noses...hopefully they didn't do it before i went it. but most of the time, i eat on campus, and all the people that have to handle food with their hands have gloves on.

GordonL

Supporting Actor
This kind of stuff goes on all the time. It's no good even in places where they wear gloves. I was at a Subway once where the food preparers wear gloves. Unfortunately, sometimes they forget they have the gloves on and collect your money/and or count out your change using their gloved hands!

Cam S

Screenwriter
I had a bad experience at a hotel resturaunt in a town called Trail. There were about 8 of us eating lunch, and half way through eating my Club Sandwich, I noticed some hair, and instantly stopped eating. 3 others at the table noticed hair as weel and soon no one wanted to finish eating. We simply got up, and left the resturaunt without paying. It was so gross having that happen, YUCK!

MikeH1

Screenwriter
Real Name
Billy
I remember when I was about 12 my uncle, aunt, their kids and me were driving to Vancouver just before Christmas. On the way we stopped at the Husky in Blue River and grabbed some chow. My uncle orders a coffee and half way through drinking it notices a hair from a certain part of the human anatomy. He flicks the hair off the cup and continues drinking the coffee.

I always wondered about Uncle Dale....

Jason Wilcox

Supporting Actor
i was eating a hamburger at an applebees a few years ago and to my surprise i found a 3" long piece of metal wire in my mouth. so i got a free burger...though i wasn't all into eating it after that

John Thomas

Senior HTF Member
Err, Donny, could you private message (PM) me telling me which restaurant this is? (I live in the same area as you do)

SteveA

Supporting Actor
At a local deli about 10 years ago, I watched the fellow making my sub (with no gloves) walk around the corner and put his hand down his pants - to "adjust" himself. When he came back and asked if I wanted lettuce, I walked right out the door without saying a word.

Luckily for everyone, the deli closed down not long after that.

Eve T

Supporting Actor
I went through a Rally's fast food drive through and noticed that the greesy cook was removing my chicken fingers from the fry basket with....his bare hands! I didn't eat them and have never gone back.
I used to work fast food when I was a teenager and I know for a fact that if another teenager drops a hamburger on the floor that they WILL pick it up and use it anyways. Bon Apetit!
I have phobias about fast food and restaurants in general. I've found hairs in my chicken, etc and lots of gross things at restaurants that I fear going out to eat.
There is a Chinese food place next to where my husband used to work that had an ambulance outside their place almost every week. He worked at a pet store and the rats would always get out and I wonder where they went?...Hmmmm next door! I witnessed this Chinese restaurant take their "meat" or whatever you want to call it, out of trucks in hefty bags! Ewwwww not to mention that several of the employees from the pet store have witnessed these Chinese guys that work at the restaurant BLOW their noses (snot) into the food in the kitchen. How did they witness it? Their back door was wide open because it would get too hot in the kitchen and while the pet store employees were outside smoking on their breaks they would witness all kinds of things like this. I've eaten there before!!!!!! NEVER AGAIN. I avoid buffets all together now.
I think I'm going to go get sick now ...:eek:

MikeAlletto

Senior HTF Member
I used to work fast food when I was a teenager and I know for a fact that if another teenager drops a hamburger on the floor that they WILL pick it up and use it anyways
Not really. I worked at McDonalds for about 4 years or so and we never did that. Everyone washed their hands all the time and it was very clean. Not every McDonalds is like that though, but the store I was in made a TON of money and was always busy and we were extremely fast.

Places can and do get shutdown for all the stuff people have mentioned already. I just don't eat in places that I don't know about and if they don't look clean then forget it.

Peter Kim

Screenwriter
Note to self: Promise to never read these threads again or stop eating out completely. And only eat raw carrots and celery.

No more ramen either, after the infamous ramen and bugs thread.

Mike__D

Supporting Actor
As I get ready to bite into my Roast Beef hoagie topped with hot peppers, I think of the lovely Wawa lady who rubbed her nose with her gloved hands as she made my hoagie. At least she used the back of her hand, that's ok, right?

Oh well, at least my Cool Ranch Doritos were sealed in a bag...

Mike D.

Neil Joseph

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Joseph
One thing I can tell you is I am always very nice to the waiter/waitress that serves me because I have heard horror stories about some of the things they have done to a customer's food when they were upset by them.

David Von Pein

Senior HTF Member
And only eat raw carrots and celery.
Nope! Those items are not safe either.
You see that rather rotund woman over there, Peter? Standing by the Kroger vegetable bins? I just saw her sneeze all over the carrots & celery! :)
Sorry. You'd better stick to packaged Oreos and Nehi soda. It's much safer. :D

David Von Pein

Senior HTF Member
And God Himself is the only entity who knows what happens to our consumables when we don't even see the servers! If restaurant employees are so willing to flaunt these violations right under our very noses (having to know full well that they can be viewed by anybody who wants to see), can you imagine what's happening behind those swinging kitchen doors?! *mini-barf* :)
Actually, as I think was said above, this sort of thing no doubt occurs a million and one times per day around the globe. It's obviously not a HUGE problem, or we'd have multitudes of customers getting sick each day. It's just that it's in our heads.
I've often heard that we'd probably all be praying to the porcelain God each day if we only knew just how much "icky" gunk we consumed in our food, such as microscopic pieces of bugs, insects, and the like. I recall hearing somebody say that if a certain food company could get by with a very small percentage of "fecal matter" in the food, that it was an acceptable amount. Now THAT deserves a *big barf*!! :)

Clinton McClure

Rocket Science Department
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Clint
Mmmmmmmmmm...........Tastes like chicken!
htf_images_smilies_yum.gif

Mike Lenthol

Second Unit
Am I the only one that's not really bothered by all of this? Sure, it doesn't go well with some of conceptions of what 'clean' food is, but all the mentioned stuff realistically would not pose any problem. It might actually be beneficial (stretching it in this case of course, but it's a fact), we as a society are overly clean which 'relaxes' the immune system, and in young doesn't even let it develop. Just think of how many folks you know have allergies.

Clinton McClure

Rocket Science Department
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Clint
It does not bother me in the least. I've found hairs in my food and kept on eating, seen the kid behind the counter not wear gloves, and eaten at a Kentucky Fried Chicken which was closed 2 days later by the Department of Health. You can never completely get rid of all the "unsanitary" practices in fast food, all you can do is not eat there. I enjoy the food, however, so I'm going to continue to eat at my favotire places.

Users who are viewing this thread