What's new

Fast and Furious...great moogily oogily! (1 Viewer)

Greg Z

Stunt Coordinator
How come it's always the old muscle cars that get trashed in these hollywood movies?? Save a muscle car, make a chick flic!:rolleyes

Jeff Savage

Second Unit
Good movie great reference DVD.
Now on to the nitpicking. Besides what has already been mentioned I will add the constant use of "nos" like a word rubbed me the wrong way. Around my part of the country people will point you out as a newbie and snicker behind your back if you do that. All the real racers call it N O S (the initals for Nitrous Oxide Systems) or nitrous (of course NOS is the largest maker of nitrous parts and systems).
The biggest inaccuracy that made me mad was that a car that is a fast 1/4 mile car, is going to be a POOR highway performer.
Well just to slightly disagree here. My street legal low 11 high 10 sec Mustang is equally at home beating up other iron on the strip or highway. Now twisty roads are another story but all I would have to do is make some suspension changes and I could hang with them :)
BTW I do not street drag racing or condone it. Tracks are much safer. However there are times where I do accelerate from a standstill rather quickly (we are allowed some fun after all aren't we?)

Anthony_J

Stunt Coordinator
I'm somewhat confused by this line after the first race:

-------------------------------------------------------

Paul Walker (to Vin Diesel)

"I almost had you."

Vin Diesel

"You almost had me? ....not double clutching like you're supposed to..., etc."

--------------------------------------------------------

If I'm not mistaken, the first race was down a straight city street. I didn't see any turns, and thus wouldn't think there would've been a reason for double clutching (or downshifting, for that matter) to be necessary.

Am I crazy? What would be the point of double clutching on an upshift?

Other than that I enjoyed the movie because it never tried to be anything it wasn't (a la "Pearl Harbor"). Brainless, harmless fun packaged in an amazing sounding and looking DVD.

GlenH

Stunt Coordinator
Yes. Double clutching seems totally unnecessary when upshifting in a drag race. In fact, some crazy people who don't mind breaking their transmissions don't even use the clutch at all or lift the throttle during shifts in a drag race. How they do this, I have no idea as I was never able to upshift without depressing the clutch pedal. Downshifting w/o the clutch is easy, though.

Again, we see that, though this movie might have been factually based, in reality, it was very inaccurate. IMO, the street racing sequences are about as accurate to real street racing as the truck hijacking sequences are compared to how trucks are really hijacked.

Glen

Shad R

Supporting Actor
Fast and the Furious blew JP3 away as far as sound goes. To me, JP3 didn't have enough deep bass, the bass in Lost World was WAY deeper than the bass in JP3. Fast and the Furious may put Phantom Menace and Pearl Harbor to rest as my reference discs.

Kami

Screenwriter
After listening to Rob Cohen's commentary, I would love to attend one of these races. The way he talked about it, it sounds like a blast! The cars, the girls, the excitment, the SPEED! This film captures all of that.
Not to turn this into anything not related to the obviously nice dts soundtrack on this disc, but I just had to chime in here.

I really hope you aren't being serious here...street racing is dangerous. A family member of mine was killed by a street racer. I know this makes my opinion biased but please don't see these types of races as "cool" in anyway. They claim lives.

sorry for the off topic remark (and mods, delete it if it's out of line), but i kind of had to since it has affected me directly.

Adam

Sean Conklin

Screenwriter
You don't have to street race to race, go to a quarter mile strip on Friday or Saturday night.
I for one DO! Every weekend, from opening day till the last day, I race my car at my local 1/8 mile track, and occasionally go to the 1/4 mile track in Lewiston 100 miles away! :)
I admit I do occassionally do a little stoplight to stoplight racing, but only if it's safe and I do not exceed much more than 50 mph! When your 2 car lengths ahead at 40 or 50 mph, the points been proven ;)
My car's favorite snack is the 5.0 mustang ;) In Montana here we do not have many import cars to snack on:frowning:

Sean Conklin

Screenwriter
How they do this, I have no idea as I was never able to upshift without depressing the clutch pedal. Downshifting w/o the clutch is easy, though.
With practice you can learn to keep the pedal to the metal and quick clutch it at the same time without losing any significant time, yes sometimes it's a little hard on the synchro's and occasionally you miss a shift(that's why the rev limiter was invented, so you don't over rev during a missed shift) I can do it in my '66 Plymouth Barracuda 4 speed. (Hand/foot/eye coordination practice)

I bought the car back in '89 and the guy I got it from was also a drag racer, he liked to shift the poor 'Cuda without the clutch at all(gearjamming), so when I took delivery of the car the stickshift was in the passenger seat, seems he was racing a Camaro one day and while "gearjamming" into second the stick broke off in his hand, so needless to say I fixed it and the old Cuda was back on the road.

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
Kami, sorry to hear about that. To tell you the truth, I never really considered the danger aspect of it. But I would still like to see one just once.

Sean Conklin

Screenwriter
John, Yes my Dad was a Drag Racer(NHRA) his whole life and I practically grew up at the Drag Strip, so naturally as a boy I idolized my Dad and as a result have Havoline running through my blood:). So on top of HT I also have the expense of constant vehicle upgrades, and spend a lot of time tinkering. No John I'm not a cop like Brian (who's Brian BTW?)I am actually a part time tile setter and stay home Dad, and I also do mechanic work on the side.
Kami: I am also sorry for your loss as a result of street racing, your definitely NOT out of line, there is a point on the street when one must excercise caution, and I do NOT advocate WILD street racing, as a matter of fact I've NEVER been pulled over for speeding (knock on wood), I do not engage in any kind of a street race unless it is 100% safe(in Montana there are more deer than pedestrians, or other cars for that matter) there is "safe" places to race here, but in populated area's I will almost never exceed the speed limit, like I said, if I'm ahead after 40 or 50 mph I generally back off as the point has been made, if I happen to be behind I still back off. Extreme speeds should be reserved for the track.
I am afraid a film like the F&F will have teenagers and young people thinking they can do this too.:eek:
In reality these "professional street racers" (the ones that group up like in the F&F are pretty much responsible and will usually only hold races on abandoned roads and streets. Of course Kami as you know there are irresponsible drivers out there and unfortunately things like this will happen.:frowning:

GlenH

Stunt Coordinator
YES, I AM YELLING!!! DO NOT ATTEND STREET RACES OR PARTICIPATE IN THEM!!! AS I MENTIONED BEFORE AND AS KAMI HAS NOW STATED, IT IS A PURELY DANGEROUS ACTIVITY WITH ZERO REDEEMING QUALITIES. UNLESS YOU CAN BE ABSOLUTELY POSITIVE THAT THERE ARE NO OTHER MOTORISTS ANYWHERE NEAR YOU, YOU CANNOT SAY THAT STREET RACING IS SAFE!!!
John, please... GET OVER IT!!! As I've already pointed out, the street racing scene is typically VERY VERY BORING! Not much happens except for a bunch of young wanna-be punks hanging out and cruising around in packs. Why do I know this? Because I used to be one of those IDIOTS! As I have also stated over and over again, what you observed in this DVD bears little resemblance to what happens in the real street racing scene. No only will you be bored out of your wits, but you may well end up being arrested or having your license suspended for being a participant if the cops show up.
If you are interested in checking out this "scene", consider attending an Import car show or drag race. You will see some incredible cars that puts the stuff in the Fast and the Furious to shame.
Glen

GlenH

Stunt Coordinator
With practice you can learn to keep the pedal to the metal and quick clutch it at the same time without losing any significant time,
Sean,
I know it is pretty easy to shift w/o taking the foot off the throttle. What I don't understand is how people are able to upshift without depressing the clutch pedal at all. I have heard several people say this is possible, but in my experience, I have never been able to do this no matter how hard I try to slam the shifter into the next gear. Have you ever done this before? Is it even possible?
Glen

Sean Conklin

Screenwriter
What I don't understand is how people are able to upshift without depressing the clutch pedal at all. I have heard several people say this is possible, but in my experience, I have never been able to do this no matter how hard I try to slam the shifter into the next gear. Have you ever done this before? Is it even possible?
Glen, technically there is a point when engine RPM and the transmission gears are spinning at the same RPM(as you know because you can downshift without the clutch provided you are at the correct RPM), but in a race, I would say NO, because the engine RPM has exceeded the transmission gear speed and needs the clutch to engage the synchro's so the gear can be changed without grinding. When I got my 'Cuda that was perfect testimony that you cannot upshift without the clutch at high RPM, hence the shifter broke off in his hand :laugh:
You can do it, but at high RPM there will be either a bang, grind or crunch sound as you are directly engaging the new gear without the benefit of the synchro(the synchro slows the input gear to be able to mesh cleanly with the selected gear).
So if you have a strong arm AND are willing to do damage to your tranny then yes it can be done.
Always use your clutch, with practice you can become lightning quick.
Also in this day and age, at the dragstrip an automatic will outperform a manual. If you were to take 2 IDENTICAL cars, 1 with a automatic and one with a manual, and both cars are utilizing every state of the art tranny tweak available, the automatic will run the quicker E.T.
When I was young(maybe 20 years ago) my Dad ran a NHRA race car, it was an [H stock automatic] The index for H/SA was 12.45(1/4 mile E.T.). The index for the same car with a 4 speed [H stock manual]H/S was 12.35.
Now the index is H/SA = 12.25 and H/S = 12.30

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
Glen, you seriously need to RELAX! Jesus. I heard you the first time, and your comment is noted. I would also go back and reword your post to something a little less irrate, the mods might not take it too kindly.
That being said, I AM curious about what goes on at these races. You said they were boring, alright, but do you mind if I draw my own conclusions.
This is all moot anyway, as they don't happen here in my area, so the chances are slim to none i'll ever get a chance. But if they did, I would go. Is that alright with you!?
Sean, Brian was the name of the kid in the movie.:)

JaleelK

Second Unit
With this DVD, the sound is just incredible!! Fast and Furios is a winner and must own DVD for any surround sound freak.

Sean Conklin

Screenwriter
Sean, Brian was the name of the kid in the movie.
Oh yeah, DUH! I guess I'm just not good with names.

Glen: John just want's to see a "meet" for himself. In his defense, I don't think John wanting to see a "meet" would hurt anyone. What man would not want to see this, especially after watching F&F?

John: Do you have a dragstrip nearby?(I'll bet there's one within 50 miles) Usually spectator tickets are cheap, and for a few dollars more you can get a "Pit Pass" which allows you to roam around the Pit's and see the cars up close and talk to the drivers. It's money well spent!

GlenH

Stunt Coordinator
John,

I apologize if you took offense to my anti street racing messages. As you know, you can do whatever you want.

Since it is likely that the vast majority of people on this Home Theater Forum do not have any experience with street racing, I wanted to dispell the myth that these events are somehow fun and exciting things for people to spectate or participate in.

Because I have firsthand knowledge of the deadly consequences these types of activities can have on totally innocent people, I have a very anti-street racing mentality and I ALWAYS make it a point to stress how wrong street racing is when the issue arises in any forum. I highly doubt the moderators would have any problems with my messages. After all, I have not made any offensive or unreasonable points and have not personally attacked you or anyone else.

Again, if you get a chance, attend an import car show and you will get a much better view of these types of cars than at a street race.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks