What's new

Fast and Furious...great moogily oogily! (1 Viewer)

GlenH

Stunt Coordinator
Sean,

You're absolutely right. The inaccuracies are not really relevant to the entertainment value of this movie. Again, as I mentioned, it is as accurate as Rocky is accurate to true heavyweight boxing. There are some accurate parts in Fast and the Furious but also a LARGE dose of stuff put in for pure entertainment and fantasy value.

It DOES sound real with the sound of the motors and the blow off valves popping and hissing and I too will be watching this movie over and over again for how entertaining the soundtrack and general action in the movie is.

Glen

Sean Conklin

Screenwriter
Glen, it was a film, if they depicted it exactly, it would've been boring, they have to fill a movie and of course they are going to make the race scenes long and drawn out, it adds to the excitement.
7. The statement that "you'll blow yourself to pieces" when running NOS is pretty ridiculous. NOS is actually quite safe when set up properly with the correct fuel management.
True, when set up correctly! I spend a lot of time racing and watching racing at my local 1/8th mile track, and other tracks, and I have seen some people try to use a 250 HP shot of NOS and shoot pieces of piston rods out the side of the oilpan, I have also seen pushrods shoot out from the hood, but I have never seen anyone get hurt yet, but amateurs with NOS can be dangerous.

Yes,many youngsters will probably be demanding NOS, NOS systems will probably double their business.

But for me I enjoyed it as a film and thats about it, except I really loved the Charger best.

Sean Conklin

Screenwriter
BTW, that metal plate falling off the car was a bit odd, and theres no way the Charger could've pulled a wheelie like that on Street tires, they're just not sticky enough, but I loved it just the same.

Reginald Trent

Screenwriter
C'mon guys this is Hollywood, so are you REALLY naive enought to expect accuracy? Also can anyone give the names of recent non-documentary films that were 100% accurate? Even though this movie was reality based it is still a Hollywood fantasy.

GlenH

Stunt Coordinator
Glen, it was a film, if they depicted it exactly, it would've been boring, they have to fill a movie and of course they are going to make the race scenes long and drawn out, it adds to the excitement.
Sean,

I know my post was long, so you probably didn't read the whole thing. Please note that I MADE THIS EXACT POINT when I mentioned the inaccuracies. In fact, I've stated a couple of times that a movie about real street racing WOULD BE BORING. I do know that they ALWAYS have to jazz up a topic in a movie to make it exciting (archaeology is not nearly as exciting as Indiana Jones or Tomb Raider, etc.).

Glen

GlenH

Stunt Coordinator
and theres no way the Charger could've pulled a wheelie like that on Street tires
Did the Charger have street tires? I could have sworn there was a scene showing the Charger light up its rear tires which wrinkled it's sidewalls. If the tires were "wrinkle" sidewall drag racing tires, it is VERY possible for a 900 hp car to actually pop a wheelie off the line.

If not, you're correct that it is impossible for a car to pop a wheelie with street tires.

Glen

Richard Travale

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rich Travale
8. That scene where the mitsubishi eclipse's motor blows up due to that 2nd shot of NOS is also ridiculous. An engine which blows up from NOS will not cause a metal panel from the bottom of the car to pop off. It just won't happen.
Glen, I gathered that this was from the excess torque that twisted the frame enough to pop the rivets.

GlenH

Stunt Coordinator
Glen, I gathered that this was from the excess torque that twisted the frame enough to pop the rivets.
OK, I can suspend disbelief and accept that as why the bottom plate popped off. But, in the real world, another shot of nitrous would not really put any significant strain or torque on the frame. Then again, maybe Kwang is right and b/c it was a Mitsubishi, that very small amt of extra torque on the frame popped the bottom plate loose!:)
Glen

Keith_R

Screenwriter
Real Name
Kyle
Boy you guys talk like you know what you've been doing:) maybe a little street racing aside from home theater:D

Reginald Trent

Screenwriter
Quote:

Boy you guys talk like you know what you've been doing maybe a little street racing aside from home theater

-----------------------------

The racing scenes in this movie are reminisent of my motorcycle riding/racing days of years ago. The difference being they have cars instead of motorcycles.

Bergan Peters

Stunt Coordinator
The biggest inaccuracy that made me mad was that a car that is a fast 1/4 mile car, is going to be a POOR highway performer. You can't have it both way because the gearing that is needed to perform a sub 12 second 1/4 mile time would leave you LAGGING after 100mph on the highway. THUS in the Ferrari racing scene, they would have been EQUAL in the 1/4 (That Ferrari does the 1/4 in around 11 seconds I believe) and after 100mph the Ferrari would have TOASTED that Supra. Of course there is some macho counter culture that believes that making a japanese car equal a Ferrari is somewhat noble, but that is the WHOLE POINT of the Ferrari, because it WAS more than he could afford. Anyway this DVD makes me want to buy an SVS more than ever.

GlenH

Stunt Coordinator
The biggest inaccuracy that made me mad was that a car that is a fast 1/4 mile car, is going to be a POOR highway performer.
Actually that is completely untrue. If you have a car that can run the 1/4 mile in "10 seconds or less" as Vin Diesel's character put it, at the end of the 1/4 mile, that car would be traveling about 150+ mph. When you are running enough hp to generate 10 second 1/4 miles, gearing is not an issue. In fact, if your car is geared too low, 1st gear becomes useless. Not only that, but you would not want to hit top speed before the 1/4 mi is up. Also, in order to turn a mid 12 second 1/4 mile, your car needs to be able to hit a trap speed of at least 110 mph or so. And if you are talking about a car that runs "sub 12" 1/4 miles, that car would be hitting around 125-130 mph at the end of the 1/4 mile. Trust me, these cars have PLENTY of acceleration at ANY speed. They basically run into a wall once they run out of gear (about 150 mph on a Honda and closer to 200 mph in a 6 speed Toyota Supra).

With respect to the Ferrari, I believe it was either an F355 or a 360 Modena. In either case, that car would run the 1/4 mile in high 12s to low 13s. There is a HUGE difference between a car that runs the 1/4 mi in 13 seconds flat vs. one that can run it in 11 seconds (like a good 20 car lengths at the end of the 1/4 mile). Even the mighty Ferrari F40 and F50s could only manage about a 12.1 second 1/4 mile time.

Trust me, no *STOCK* Ferrari, Porsche, Corvette, Viper, or even the $800,000 McLaren F1 for that matter, would stand a chance against one of these "10 second rice rockets" when it comes to a 1/4 mile drag race.

During my STUPID and FOOLISH street racing days, I used to bitch slap EVERY single Porsche or Ferrari I ever encountered with my fairly TAME 500hp 91 300ZX Twin Turbo. I would positively KILL Corvette ZR1s. One of the ONLY cars that beat me was an old turbocharged Honda CRX running... yup, you guessed it, NOS!

Glen

Sean Conklin

Screenwriter
btw- my 'nearly' stock vette runs a 12.6 - i was creamed by a turbo supra
though he was high 11's
Chris Maynards stock 'vette runs 13.5 or so.
My Dodge Dart runs low 13's, but I have upgraded a little since those times, and I'm also going to be running NAAAAS!! baby!(adjustable from 50 to 150 HP)(and not because of the F&F, I have have been contemplating this for a while now) I'm hopefully looking for mid 11's or better.

BarryNS

Stunt Coordinator
The most glaring one for me was these guys doing balls-out runs with highly modified turbo cars and simply shutting them off as soon as the come to a stop after the finish line....mmmm, smoked turbo bearings almost smell better than popcorn!!! :D

jonathanR

Stunt Coordinator
Back to the sound quality of the film....

I watched the dvd at about -10 db under reference level..........the sound was excellent, especially the imaging, from all sides of the room, but the bass was a bit lower than I expected. Now, for instance "fight club" at -10dbs under reference is explosive and down right scary at reference level. What were most of you watching the dvd at what ref. level? Was the dvd recorded at a little lower than normal......I'll try watching some of the action scenes tonight at -6db and see if there a big diff.

JOhn

PatrickM

Screenwriter
I watched it and recommended a friend get it as well since he's into the car modification thing. He probably put it best when he said the movie (story) itself was probably below average but the sound of disc was well above average.

Patrick

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks