What's new

Fast and cheap "Garage Blasters" ? (1 Viewer)

ColinM

Senior HTF Member
If sound quality, build quality and looks are all low priority, :D , is it as simple as buying a woofer and tweeter of similar sensitivities, making a proper size cabinet to accommodate the woofer, and toss in a pre-made PE crossover?

Nothing specific yet, but I'm shopping for a buddy - he wants a stereo to blast Skynyrd, etc, and the package has to be

TimForman

Supporting Actor
Jeez! Ummm...well...you could try one of the Piezo horn tweeters and skip the crossover. Might as well at least use WinISD to get the right box and port size. Who knows? Might not be horrible. 4.5mm Xmax, whoa.

TimForman

Supporting Actor
On second thought, I bet you could find some Cerwin Vega's somebody wants to dump for $70. Sounds like your buddies kinda speaker.

A

Anthony_Gomez

Just buy some car audio 2 ways and throw em in a box.

Dito....something like a 6x9 or 6" coaxal. most of these will be 4 ohms though, so get a reciever accourdingly..

...heck....get 2 pairs of cheap car speakers and wire them up in series for 4 ohms...he can have QuadraSound :D

Seth_L

Screenwriter
Dito....something like a 6x9 or 6" coaxal. most of these will be 4 ohms though, so get a reciever accourdingly..

...heck....get 2 pairs of cheap car speakers and wire them up in series for 4 ohms...he can have QuadraSound
Except that when you wire up two 4 ohm loads in series you get a 8 ohm load :D

Seth

A

Anthony_Gomez

damn typo ...that is what happens when the fingers type faster than the brain can process :D

Chuck Bogie

Second Unit
Keep an eye out at Goodwill - picked up a pair of old Infinity Studio Monitor 120s for $20 a little while back.

Ryan T

Second Unit
I got a pair of Mission MK II model 70 speakers form a second hand store for $12 :). Thats the best $12 i've ever spent.

Ryan

Allen Ross

Supporting Actor
a buddy of mine picked up a single electrovoice EV Aristocrat loud speaker (from the 50s) at a yard sale for 10 bucks and parted it out, L pads, OX, pizo tweeter and horn, along with the 10 inch driver. he got 60 bucks for the two L pads alone and then 50 for the XO and then another 60 for the drivers not bad

Bhavesh P

Grip
I'm running a set of Kenwood 6x9 3-way speakers (I got free as leftovers from an audiophile) in carpeted boxes on a Kenwood stereo receiver (got free for installing a car stereo) running 4ohm stereo and they sound pretty good. I also have a caraudio 10" Kenwood Tornado (that I got for free since it had a crack in the cone...easy fix) in a 3/4" mdf box ($7) with a 250W plate amp from PE. It is possible to make something that works for little money! That sub can't handle the power of the amp though...

What's even more humorous is that in the college residence I live in, I have the loudest, best sounding stereo. Everone else has computer sub/satellite systems.

Justin Ward

Supporting Actor
If you just want a "boom-sizzle speaker". You could buy some el-cheapo 10 or 12 inch drivers plus any efficient tweeter and throw 'em in a box. Or maybe you could go with full range drivers and bypass the crossover.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks