Fassbinder suggestions?

Discussion in 'Movies' started by Lars Vermundsberget, May 23, 2004.

1. Lars Vermundsberget

Lars Vermundsberget Supporting Actor

I've got the R. W. Fassbinder films released on DVD by the Criterion Collection (Fear Eats The Soul and The BRD Trilogy).

Now I'd like a few more RWF films. I consider ordering some from www.amazon.de but haven't made up my mind yet as to which titles I should get. Which one(s) would you suggest?

2. SteveGon

SteveGon Executive Producer

Well, Brook K is our resident Fassbinder fanatic and is more qualified to make suggestions than myself - I've just started exploring Fassbinder's work.

Two recent Fassbinders that I've seen are In a Year With 13 Moons and Fox and His Friends. Both are quite good. I'll also recommend Mother Kusters Goes to Heaven and Beware of a Holy Whore (the latter would make a neat double-bill with Truffaut's Day for Night).

3. Rob Gardiner

Rob Gardiner Cinematographer

I don't know if it is available on a little shiny disc, but WHY DOES HERR R. RUN AMOK is quite stunning.

4. Brook K

Brook K Lead Actor

My ears are burning. :b

Why Does Herr R. Run Amok is supposed to be released by Fantoma but they have not done so yet. I don't know if it is available in Germany.

As Steve said, he's one of my absolute favorite directors and I could recommend almost all of his films that I've seen, but here's 5 to start with:

The Bitter Tears Of Petra Von Kant
    Fox And His Friends
    Mother Kusters Goes To Heaven
    The Merchant Of Four Seasons
    Chinese Roulette

or if you prefer to sample something else from his early period try Rio Das Mortes or Whity.

If you speak German you could also get Lili Marleen which was released only in Germany with no subtitles. Thus I haven't seen it, but there are several clips in the BRD Trilogy extras.

5. Lars Vermundsberget

Some of the titles on amazon.de have only one customer review (or none at all), so the number of stars isn't always much to go by... So that's why I asked you.

Of the titles you mentioned at least the following seem easily available:

"Lili Marleen"
    "Die bitteren Tränen der Petra von Kant"
    "Händler der vier Jahreszeiten" (Merchant of Four Seasons)

So I'll consider buying those quite soon and also "Liebe ist kälter als der Tod".

"Warum läuft Herr R. Amok?" seems to be released in a couple of months so I may look into it eventually.

6. Brook K

Brook K Lead Actor

Bitter Tears is my favorite of his films and one of my favorite films period.

Merchant is sometimes identified by critics as his first great film, and Wim Wenders says it's his favorite on the commentary included on the R1 disc.

I like "Love Is Colder Than Death" quite a bit. Heavy Godard influence.

7. Jim Rankin

Jim Rankin Stunt Coordinator

I loved The Merchant of Four Seasons and Fox and his Friends, but I didn't care for Bitter Tears, maybe I wasn't in the right mood at the time and I definitely plan to revisit it someday. I can't wait for an R1 release of Berlin Alexanderplatz.

8. Lars Vermundsberget

Could "Berlin Alexanderplatz" be something for Criterion? I think I read such a rumour somewhere...

9. Brook K

Brook K Lead Actor

Last I heard the Fassbinder Foundation was trying to raise funds for restoration, but that was over a year ago.

I would hope they don't stop there, there are two other key Fassbinder TV series' I'd love to see: World On A Wire and Eight Hours Are Not A Day

Plus there are several other films/TV films I especially want to see:

The Stationmaster's Wife (Bolweiser) (on the commentary track for Whity, Michael Ballhaus calls this his favorite Fassbinder film)
    Jailbait
    The Third Generation (probably the film of his I want to see most of those I haven't seen)
    Germany In Autumn