What's new

Fassbinder BRD Trilogy (Criterion) (1 Viewer)

WillardK

Second Unit
Comments? Complaints? Reviews? I know there are at least two or three other fans out there and this is a fairly major release of his work on dvd. I still have half the Lola commentary and the supplement dvd to go through, but I'm pleased with it. Lola in particular is a candy colored visual stunner with what is so far a fascinating commentary.

On a side note: anyone know what's happened to Fantoma's second Fassbinder set?

Brian PB

Supporting Actor
I would love to comment on this release, but the recently-under-new-management DVD Planet lost my order (placed back in July) :angry: (I cancelled with DVD Planet this morning & placed an order with Overstock.com).

Early word from loyal Criterion-watchers is that this may be Criterion's finest release thus far.

The only online review I've seen so far:

Mondo Digital

Can't wait to receive mine.

I purchased Criterion's FASSBINDER's BRD TRILOGY a few weeks ago at Kim's Video in NYC (for 60 dollars) and I must say that it is one of the best DVD purchases I've ever made. The transfers are in a word: STUPENDOUS! The supplements are also very good, especially the documentary I DON'T JUST WANT YOU TO LOVE ME (which has a segment of Kurt Raab's last interview) and the 50-minute "Lifestories" interview with Fassbinder. Criterion has shown that they know how to take care of Fassbinder's filmic legacy. To answer your question, Willard, I e-mailed Fantoma to inquire about their proposed second Fassbinder set. i haven't gotten a reply yet. I hope it comes through since IN EINEM JAHR MIT DREIZEHN MONDEN (In a Year With 13 Moons) is one of Fassbinder's most personal and powerful films.

DADA for now....

WillardK

Second Unit
I agree about 13 Moons and have been looking forward to the dvd. The others in that set are also worthwhile. I saw Martha for the first time at a screening over 5 years ago and haven't seen it since... or noticed it available on video anywhere.

All of the superlative comments I also agree with (thanks for the link to 'Criterion watchers' BrianPB). The only thing I would add is that while the BRD Trilogy is one of his great achievements, it's debatable as to whether it was his greatest. It's just to say that so many of his other films (13 Moons for instance) are as powerful, wellmade and transcendent. That's what's amazing me right now about this current flood of Fassbinder's, most of which I'd seen before in theaters but never so many in such a short time... out of the bunch, maybe two or three are just 'good' while the rest are excellent to brilliant! I don't agree with the opinion that many of his other films are 'not very good' and that Criterion's selections are sufficiently representative. Nothing could be further from the truth. Yeesh.

Anyway... this is such a beautiful set it makes me wonder why anyone at all interested in film and what it can do WOULDN'T want it. How's that for over-the-top gushing?

Brook K

Senior HTF Member
I've got the set as well but haven't watched it yet.

Willard, I own all the DVD's released so far, except Querelle, and completely agree with what you said about the quality of Fassbinder's work. I think he is Germany's greatest director and should be mentioned in the same breath with Kurosawa, Kubrick, Bergman, Bunuel, etc. as one of the very greatest filmmakers of all time.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks