1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Fashioning a "sub-woofer" from a seperate receiver and pair of speakers?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Chris T. Kennedy, Sep 16, 2001.

1. Chris T. Kennedy

Chris T. Kennedy Stunt Coordinator

This may sound crazy, but I have to ask it.
    First of all - my audio setup consists of a 5 speaker DD 5.1 & DTS system. No subwoofer right now.
    Okay - Here is the crazy part. I have a pair of speakers (seperate from the ht setup) with 15" woofers in them. Is it *possible* to run the subwoofer out of my DD/DTS receiver into a secondary stereo receiver (with a mono -> stereo RCA adapter) and run the two speakers as "low end only" speakers? Or...is this a big no-no?
    - Chris

2. Rich Kraus

Rich Kraus Stunt Coordinator

will it work? yes.
    will you get true sub bass? probably not.
    the 15's in those enclosures were probably woofers, not subs in the first place, designed to produce bass and not sub bass. enclosure tuning comes into play there also.
    OTOH, you have the stuff so give it a shot. probably better than nothing. if it sounds better to you, its better to you [​IMG]. get out your radio shack SPL meter (you have one, right? [​IMG] ) and run some test tones through them once you have them running, see what your actually getting.
    ------------------
    'Till next time,
    Rich (the kite guy)
    My DIY audio page!
    Use your ashtray please, dont throw um on the street. thanks [​IMG]

3. Chad Isaacs

Chad Isaacs Supporting Actor

I tried this once with a pair of old fisher 3 ways.I disconnected the mids and tweeters and just ran the 15's.THey simply could not handle most of the lfe info from most dvds I tried.They sounded much better running them large off of the "b" speaker output.
    ------------------
    My dvd collection
    http://www.dvdprofiler.com/mycollect...?alias=cisaacs

4. Wes

Wes Screenwriter

Wes Peterson
    quote: Okay - Here is the crazy part. I have a pair of speakers (seperate from the ht setup) with 15" woofers in
    them.[/quote]
    What brand of speakers?
    I have done this same thing with good results. Actually they were Fisher 15"ers. I did build new boxes that were tuned much lower than the originals and much heavier construction!
    I have ran these subs for 5 years now after having ran them for 6 years prior in the Fisher boxes. In a few weeks I will be firing up my new theater and will use the Fishers until I can afford better raw speakers(may look at the Dayton 15"). And my 15"ers handle themselves better than my brothers Definite 18"er, although the Def 18 will go a bit lower!
    Here is a couple links to what they look like now:
    http://prosteering.8k.com/images/image71.jpg
    http://prosteering.8k.com/images/ssyste.jpg
    Wes
    [Edited last by Wes on September 17, 2001 at 02:43 AM]
    [Edited last by Wes on September 17, 2001 at 02:45 AM]
    [Edited last by Wes on September 17, 2001 at 02:45 AM]
    [Edited last by Wes on September 17, 2001 at 02:48 AM]