Farscape -- Yep I'm back again!! Season 3 mainly

Discussion in 'TV Shows' started by Greg S, Jan 2, 2005.

1. Greg S

Greg S Supporting Actor

HOLY CRAP has this show got it going on!

Just finished Season 3 and man what a tumultuous ride!

I would have say to me that perhaps the best moist heart wrenching episode of this whole season would be Infinite Possibilites Part 2

(below is in spoiler mode just in case)

Hell I thought it was bad enough when Aeryn died in Season 2 but when Crichton died (forget that there were 2 of them) .... dam!!!! Seeing the last few minutes with the 2 of them together really grabbed the heart strings and tugged GREATLY. Then 2 episodes later when she is in the dead city and is coping with the loss man what a poignant episode!

My goodness its been quite a while since eny show has been able to grab me like this and make me care about what happens to the characters. Its not a show about kicking a$$ and taking names, or a bunch of special effects shots, or how many aliens we can see but it is truly about the characters ALL OF THEM. Sure there is more of the focus on the 2 leads but hey there should be.

I know I am preaching to the choir here but I just needed to say something yet again about how much this show has grabbed me. Its like an addiction now, one that I will hate to see leave in 2 weeks when Peacekeeper wars comes out on DVD and I can watch it but at least it got some sort of ending.

I also have to mention that I feel like the actors/actresses on the show all have SUPERB chemistry with one another (particulary Black & Browder though). I don't always get that feeling from other shows and thats why I think this works so well. As I mentioned before I truly care about these characters & what happens to them. Hell even Scorpius has me babbling about what's going to happen to him next.

Oh and that Cartoon episode has to be the craziest TV episode I have ever seen but dam it sure was well done, loved it and the one where everyone was affected by the mist (wouldn't mind being trapped with Aeryn with that problem myself LOL!!)

Lastly I have read on several threads that many felt that Ben Browder's acting was just OK but really needed work. Personally I think he and the other cast members have been great. The emotion that is poured into the scenes really shows (just watch the episodes I mentioned above). Maybe I have turned into an old softy, or just seen to many action shows and so the "DRAMA" of really good writing and acting just bowls me over to easily but I have to say this is a helluva ride!

Anyway I will let everyone get back to their regularly scheduled programming!!

Greg

2. PhilipG

PhilipG Cinematographer

Greg, I'm glad you're really getting into the show now. I agree with all of your comments. Farscape absolutely rocks! [​IMG] [​IMG]

3. MichaelGH

MichaelGH Stunt Coordinator

Greg,
    I completely agree with you. Farscape is definitely my favorite tv show and I think my two favorite episodes are the ones you mention..._The Locket_ also ranks up there with some of the finest SF television episodes ever. It didn't come across to me as sappy or schmaltzy but as genuine and heartfelt.

I've never quite understood the detractors of the show on this board. The same flaws that Farscape has are the same flaws that any SF TV show has, but that doesn't mean that the show didn't manage to find other strengths to make it well worth watching from week to week.

I just hope that we can get another series even half as good as farscape or firefly on the air in the next couple seasons...seems like we're in a dry spell right now.

Michael

4. Greg S

Greg S Supporting Actor

Michael,

Good points there. And I agree "The Locket" was also a very poignant(sp) episode and I too do not believe it was too sappy.

Even though we all knew that the picture in the locket had to be Crichton's there was still that off chance that it wasn't and the fact that he chose not to open it until after she passed was just another effort of good writing IMHO. The fact that it came back up later (disintegrated picture back in "real time") it was nice to see the inference there yet again!!

There are TONS of holes with Farscape -- more than I can add up BUT again what draws me to the show is how well everything is done. To me it really didn't have any weak points -- the characters were great, the acting was great (at no time did I get the feeling that the actors were "mailing it in"), the special effects didn't look to fake or too CGI, the writing was quite good (kinda went off the cliff every so often but kept me right there anyway) and as I mentioned before there was TOTAL chemistry with this group and it showed on the screen.

I feel that there are only a few shows I have seen where the chemistry between the characters made it all work for me (Farscape, West Wing, Firefly, The Shield, & Dark Angel(yes I know many people hate this show but I loved it even though the wheels fell off in Season 2)). To me this is the KEY ingredient to having a successful show. Moonlighting is a good example of a show that did well and I liked it but it could have been even better if the "principles" could have gotten along at all!

***UPDATE***

Well I was off from work yesterday and basically locked myself away and managed to watch the entire 4th Season -- whew!!! Man what a ride!!!

I think the show lost a tad bit of steam in Season 4 (Season 3 I would have to say is my favorite --- even if it is a lot of doom & gloom) however it was still gripping & entertaining!!!

I loved in Twice Shy (I think this was the episode) when

at the end when Aeryn confronts John in the corridor about the "drugs" and they "kinda" have it out and he explains what his deal is. They connection at the end when they she states so there is NOTHING between us anymore and pauses and he replies back nothing but gives that little smile and she smiles back and they both truly realize that they are on the same page!! A tad rushed but man it was cool to see it. Afterall the struggle and pulling back and forth it all came to a head. Much like when they finally gave into their true feelings back in Season 3. **LOVED IT!!**

The end -- WTF!!! You mean to tell me those whack jobs at Sci-Fi and elsewhere tried to end the whole series like this??!?!?!?!? That's insane!!! No wonder people were so pissed, I was too and I KNOW there is the PKW miniseries waiting for me in 2 weeks (an insanely long time to wait too but not as long as you guys had to wait, LOL). However I can make one comment about it, it did leave me with a little bit of peace even if there was no miniseries:

Even though the show ended on a Bad Note and a "To Be Continued" the major story lines were "relatively" closed up albeit it with MANY, MANY holes. And more importantly if Crichton and Aeryn were to die at least that not only they went together (always died/got captured apart before) and they both knew the truth about how they felt!! Tragic ending but one I could have lived with if I had too.

Below are just some musings (some based on things I have read on other boards that I just want to comment on)

1. Poor Acting -- again as I mentioned already -- Are you people frelling crazy!! I would hate to see what it takes for some folks to feel like it was good. I wouldn't change a thing!

2. "The John & Aeryn Show" debate -- well you know this argument has merit to some extent. While I did feel like the show did take this turn I went back and mused my thoughts of the episodes and while there were several episodes specifically centered on this topic I think that for the most part "they" (John & Aeryn) only had a few minutes in each episode about "their story" and in some cases there was no touching on it at all or only a minute at the end of the episode.

3. "Whimpy Aeryn" -- this is a semi-tough call here -- While I feel they really softened her character for Season 4 (loved the change in look overall!!!) I did see it coming. I think this was an interesting aspect of her character and one that was fitting. She really had to become a stronger person within herself since this was more about her having emotions and confusion about the man she loves and her direction in life vs. kicking a$$ and taking names. I was fine with this change!

4. "Scorpius/Harvey" -- Loved the Scorpius character -- he is so ...... (can't think of the right word here) .... devious -- man you just don't know which angle he is coming from or what he is really up to. I would say that he was/is truly on his own mission but dam he does a nice job of "playing all sides"!! **HARVEY** while I agree he was HUGELY important in this whole story he did begin to drive me nuts after a while. I understand the importance of it but I do believe this part could have been toned down some.

5. D'Argo -- Love this character!! Can't say anything more than that!

Final musings (hope to have more to say once I see PKW):

I am VERY, VERY SAD about this show being over but you know what my sleep habits can't take any more, LOL!!!! It has been a great and enjoyable ride and one that I am sorry to say I missed when it was first on. I had mentioned in a previous thread that 24 was my official favorite show well after getting through Seasons 3 & 4 there is no doubt that Farscape is now #1!!!

It's not often that a show can make me smile, laugh, & cry all at the same time but this one did and on more than one occassion. Truly there is some magic here that allows its viewers to connect to the emotions being poured out on the screen and honestly believe that you do not have to like Sci-Fi to like this show. I do think that you either like this show or don't plain & simple but that EVERYONE can take something away from this show that they like, BUT you MUST give it time as Season 1 really didn't start to flow until 1/2 to 3/4 of the way through it and is VERY EASY to give up on.

The writers, directors, actors/actresses, puppeteers should all be commended on a tremndous job well done. The people who should be shot are the ones that took it off the air!! Based on other info on the net (takin' with a grain of salt of course) I doubt that we will see any more of "this" Farscape. It appears from interviews that while I think the other members of the team (Browder, Simcoe, etc.) would be willing to do more Claudia Black has moved on and doesn't believe in "going back" and Farscape would not be Farscape w/o these same people playing the same roles (just wouldn't work for me). Also with Browder taking on a role on "Fargate" .. ooops I mean Stargate [​IMG] I doubt there would be any way to continue things with these folks. It sucks but I will survive. However it does appear that there is potential for another part of the Farscape franchise (as Claudia Black put it in some interview I read). While this would interest me I don't think it would be the same.

For many of the shows I have followed in the past it always felt to me like it was time for them to end (all the Star Treks, ER (should have finished long ago IMHO), Friends, Cheers, and many others) this along with Firefly (and even Angel even though I never really followed it) did not deserve to have their legs removed from them. Its ashame that other people (execs etc) couldn't see how good this was, even if it was an expensive show.

Thanks to all who have put up with my ramblings [​IMG] !!

Later

Greg

5. Daniel Kikin

Daniel Kikin Screenwriter

Wow Greg, now that's what you call a marathon! Now you need to wait two weeks for PK Wars on DVD unless you have it recorded already...

6. Greg S

Greg S Supporting Actor

Man do I wish I did!

As far as the marathon goes I just kept saying I'll watch this episode and then go get some stuff done but I just couldn't stop until it was over -- I honestly felt like I was on drugs and just couldn't get enough!

Greg

7. Patrick_S

Patrick_S Producer
    Supporter

Keep in mind it was the producers and writers who ended the show that way even thought they already know they were canceled.

From what I've read they always felt that they would be able to resolve any loose ends via another season or movies.

8. Kevin Hewell

Kevin Hewell Cinematographer

[​IMG]

I don't want to be any where near you after you watch the mini.

9. Mikel_Cooperman

Mikel_Cooperman Producer

Mikey

That's something you dont get allot in current Sci Fi. Enterprise has gotten a bit better with that but was almost non existant until this season and look at the recent Star Wars movies. Farscape along with B5 is great written Sci Fi, with story and adventure plus thought out story arcs and character development. What else could you ask for?

10. Laura Nicholson

Laura Nicholson Stunt Coordinator

Actually, if I remember correctly, the final word on the cancellation came on the last day of shooting of the season. I think that's what was said in the Season 4 commentaries. But I might be wrong.

11. Greg S

Greg S Supporting Actor

Well that doesn't sound too good!

Frell is it the 18th yet??

Greg

12. Daniel Kikin

Daniel Kikin Screenwriter

I remember reading that around the time of the cancellation too, they found out on the last day of shooting and decided to carry through with the last minute instead of ending it with the proposal.

13. Ric Easton

Ric Easton Cinematographer

Glad you loved the show, Greg! And yes, we all had to wait an awfully long time to even find out there would be a conclusion. This was after Sci-fi had told the they would have a 4th and 5th season and then went back on their word about the 5th at the last possible minute. I can't tell you how angry I was knowing that a major cliffhanger was coming, and most likely never a resolution. Although it was a long wait, they did such a fantastic job on The Peacekeeper Wars, that it ended up being worth the wait.

Ric

14. Ric Easton

Ric Easton Cinematographer

So Greg,

Did you see "TPW"?? What did you think? It was just about everything I hoped it would be after such a long hiatus.

Ric