What's new

Farscape The Complete Series Coming Soon From A&E Home Entertainment (1 Viewer)

Mark Talmadge

Senior HTF Member
I'm not talking about dislodged DVD's or disks. I'm referring to DVD defects such as what I would call "scuffs" or "smudges" that you cannot clean off with the appropriate materials. These are the defects that I'm referring to.

AlexF

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Alex
Originally Posted by Mark Talmadge

I'm not talking about dislodged DVD's or disks. I'm referring to DVD defects such as what I would call "scuffs" or "smudges" that you cannot clean off with the appropriate materials. These are the defects that I'm referring to.
None of those on my copies in this set. The inserts with the discs had no burrs, not sticky bits, nothing. Nobody I've talked to or read about has had any issues with the sets either (other than getting disc 2 twice and no disc one in the archives bits, but that also seems to be limited to the Best Buy exclusive set).

Oh, and the "complete series" isn't just the 4 season sets. It's also the 5th set of "archives" (the extra bonus material). I do agree, the little cardboard box? Kinda crap. The size? Awesome. :)

smithb

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brad Smith
Originally Posted by Mark Talmadge

I understand what you are talking about. I only attribute those types of defects to the case when there is a flaw in the case design that causes them, and the only time in my experience that happens is when the disk becomes dislodged and is allowed to bounce around loosely in the case.

Other times that I see these type of defects appear I blame it on the processing of the disks not the case design itself (e.g., how disks are moved around, sorted, and put into the cases). As for how the disks are inserted into the case, I've seen the same issue appear at times with all case designs (even thinpaks), not just these. The worst offender being the foldout cardboard sleeve design where you can see the marks from how the disk is inserted into the sleeve.

So we just disagree. While I prefer disks to come in either the thinpak, standard size or double wide cases more then anything else. It also depends on the material used (the more pliable plastic is preferred), the hub design (for holding the disks securely but not overly tight and without pieces easily breaking off), and the hinge mechanism with the trays (again pliable without adding stress when flipped). Any in my opinion the A&E cases are almost perfect in these regards (the hubs can be a little to tight).

As evidence, I did not receive one loose disk or any scratches or scuff marks on any of the disks received in either the Farscape, Homicide, or Dr. Quinn sets I received from A&E. As I said before, that is a fair number of disks to receive through shipping from DD (who doesn't package as well as Amazon) without a single issue. So not all cases are created equal, even if they do share the same basic design principle in look.

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
I went through every single disc in my set for a review. Not a single problem with any of them. None. Nothing was dislodged, no scuffs or marks. I personally like the keepcase width cases. Much much less room.

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
At this point I'm glad I chose to hold onto my Starburst edition sets. Mine are *all* the DVD-9 editions, which was a major factor, and when I heard there was no CC *or* sub-titles on the A&E release it cinched it. While I don't *need" either I frequently watch with them on so my wife will not complain about the volume when she's trying to sleep. I turn down the volume, turn on the sub-titles, she sleeps, and I don't get nagged. :) From what I've read about the updated audio mix I'm glad I kept the Starburst set as it sounds as if you might need the sub-titles on occasion to hear dialog that is now buried in the mix. It also doesn't hurt price wise in that I paid ~$140 for the entire set... new... by very careful shopping around.

That said... I'd be all over this at the price currently offered by amazon if I did not already own a copy... in spite of the reported "negatives" of this release.

KyleC

Supporting Actor
I know it's a year later but Amazon once again has it on sale for $50 this time. Has there been any consensus whether the video quality is better or worse than the Starburst editions? A few user reviews I read said it looks fantastic and also some said the audio sounds like it was remastered.

AlexF

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Alex
From my cheap, quick, and certainly uneducated comparison, they appear to be pretty much the same in terms of video quality. Not having the Starburst collection anymore, I cannot compare the audio (different audio systems and environment now).

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks