What's new

Farscape: Starburst DVD Problems (1 Viewer)

Mark Seyb

Agent
Has anyone had problems with the second season releases of Farscape: Starburst? I purchased 2.1 and the last episode on every side starts to freeze up around the 30 minute mark and I eventually could not watch the rest of the episode. I had purchased this one from Deep Discount DVD and exchanged it thinking it was a bad copy. Well, the replacement does this same thing. I have been watching it on my Sony 5-Disc changer so I decided that I would switch to my kids Cyberhome. It still freezes a little on the Cyberhome but I was at least able to watch the rest. I assumed that maybe DDD got a bad batch. So, I recently purchased 2.2 from the DVD Planet retail store and and it does the same damn thing! I'm unable to finish the second episode on Side 1. Anyone else have problems? My Sony DVD player plays every other DVD flawlessly. Help?

AlexF

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Alex
there's a better thread already created to discuss these starburst editions, and their problems. well, it may not discuss the problems as yet, but it's likely best to combine the conversation.

It is this thread here...

I've got all 5 starbursts, and thus far, #3 and #4 have both had issues, and i've had to return them both, but the replacements had no issues at all. the latest has had no problems at all for me.

Mark Talmadge

Senior HTF Member
I experienced the same problem with Disk 1.3. Never had that problem with 1.1, 1.2 and 2.1. The problem could very well just be the disks themselves. Plus, not all DVD players will play every DVD either.

Joseph Bolus

Senior HTF Member
I *also* had this problem with the Season 1.3 release.

The disc froze two-thirds of the way through the season cliffhanger ep ("Family Ties").

I had the disc replaced at my local Suncoast. The replacement also froze in the same place.

I tried the disc on every DVD player that I own:
* A Panny player/recorder.
* A Panny DVD player (Which can also read DVD-RAM discs!)
* A Sony "dual-laser" pickup player (This player had played everything up to this point; even very heavily scratched discs.)

Finally, I tried the disc in my computer's DVD drive. It was a "no-go". They all froze at the same point in the episode (right in the middle of the so-called "last supper" scene).

I've had *no problem at all* with any of the other discs in the series.

Will_B

Senior HTF Member
Two of my Starburst editions have been defective - freezing, stopping, and having to be exchanged. I tried mine on two DVD players and on a computer DVD drive before deciding it was truly a def'cktive disc.

Evidently double sided discs have a much higher failure rate than normal DVDs, so this is why we're being stuck with this crap.

The failure rate of these Starburst discs has been so high, for me, that I can't buy these online. I have to buy them from a physical store because of the strong chance that I'll just have to drive the darn disc back to the store to be exchanged.

Maybe this is why Best Buy hasn't been ordering these in quanities...

Karlo

Auditioning
I haven't had the chance to watch the DVDs yet but some people [in my thread, see "Farscape: Starburst Edition" thread] have mentioned "freezing" problems

Karlo

Auditioning
I haven't had the chance to watch the DVDs yet but some people [in my thread, see "Farscape: Starburst Edition" thread] have mentioned "freezing" problems

Karlo

Auditioning

Mark Talmadge

Senior HTF Member
After a few months, Best Buy finally got more copies of Farscape Starburst 1.3 in. After buying Volume 1.3 I had to return the DVD immediately, this made the second defective version of this same set I had to return the disk, and the third copy I got seems to be playing fine. The episode that kept getting stuck seems to be playing fine now. There are two more episodes that I have to watch but hopefully, and god willing, they'll play fine.

I've sent complaints through ADV Films website over the past two weeks and I haven't received a reply to my concerns. At any rate, and I don't know if it had anything to do with it, but I ended up opening up my DVD Player and cleaning it out a bit with one of those dust cleaners that they make for computers.

I have yet to watch the Volume 2.2 that I had to exchange as well but I'm hoping that the new copy I got doesn't suffer from the same problem.

Todd Hostettler

Second Unit
The sheer amount of problems I had with 1st season Starburst discs (I ended up having playback problems with 2 of the 4 sets) virtually assured I won't be double-dipping on the rest of the series. :thumbsdown:

Mark Talmadge

Senior HTF Member
This is really wrong that ADV Films would literally screw the fans who buy these disks when they won't even answer to consumer complaints. I'm thinking about contacting the State Attorney General in my state and filing a complaint regarding ADV Films selling of these DVD's and not making the effort to accept returns or exchanges for corrected DVD's from consumers over this.

There are Federal Laws that protect consumers from such unscrupulous actions from a DVD distributer such as ADV Films. These companies have a responsibility to resolve consumer complaints when a company sells a defective piece of merchandise.

Maybe the threat of a Class Action Lawsuit will get the ADV Films to answer our concerns.

Mark Talmadge

Senior HTF Member
Just thought I'd let everyone know that I have finished watching the replacement copies of Farscape Starburst Volume 3 and Farscape Starburst Volume 2.2 and there were no problems with these latest copies I finally replaced through Best Buy.

I don't know about the rest of you but I hope every release of this series isn't going to be like this. I don't want to have to replace each release three or four times in order to get a working copy of these DVD volumes.

Andy_Bu

Supporting Actor
Question for those that have this issue.

Can you fast forward through the problem?

I only ask because I took all of my discs and fast forwarded through each episode with no problems. But I don't know if this is enough to tell me that my discs are ok.

Please let me know.

Thank you

Andy

Roger_R

Second Unit
Just had the time to watch through vol. 3 and it turns out the season 1 finale hangs. When I looked at the disc closer, there was this tiny, black, round spot inside the disc itself.
Bought this back when it was released, so I doubt Play will replace it... :frowning:
I haven't had a problem with the other ones though.

Will_B

Senior HTF Member

No. The laser gets completely lost when it hits the defective section of these double sided discs.

But you can go back to the menu, pick a chapter that starts somewhere after the glue error (or whatever causes these double sided discs to fail), and then you can try rewinding it to as far as you can before the laser hits the ruined part of the layer and gets lost again.

Depending on your machine you may not even have to turn the DVD player's power off to get back to the menu.

Andy_Bu

Supporting Actor

OK thanks Will, so it looks like my discs are ok for now.

Each one I buy I will FF through as soon as I get it so that I can have the chance to return it.

We don't intend to watch the series until all the seasons are available.

Andy

Mark Talmadge

Senior HTF Member
Any Bu, why should we have to fast forward through the disk errors? The whole point in watching the DVD's is to watch them straight through and enjoy the DVD. ADV Films should be taking the neccessary steps to ensure that fans of these shows are getting a top quality product.

In the end, I have purchased the five DVD sets of the Starburst series and I have had to exchange each volume about 3 times before getting a non-defective copy of each volume.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joshua32
Recent bookmarks