What's new

Farscape Season Box sets (1 Viewer)

Mikel_Cooperman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mikey
Love the show but buying to episodes a DVD is a bit pricey. How about season box sets like X-files, Stargate and now the Simpsons?

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
I think ADV has addressed this... I seem to recall a post by someone working there explaining that not only do these titles have a high licensing fee, but if they were to release a box set vs. their current schedule, then they'd lose impulse buys people who aren't willing to spend $100 at once on a TV show (but will spend $220 over the course of a year; people are funny).

Alex Morrow

Stunt Coordinator
Well, maybe they could do a sneaky web site only box set purchase and then do the individual discs in the stores. No one would ever have to know that we got the whole set.
------------------
My DVD Collection

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
Yes, Farscape cost ADV a ton of money, there are alot of mouths to feed on that show (Scifi, Hallmark, Henson, like 3 other companies, THEN ADV). They are listening, and are working on offering some kind of box through their web site so that you can make your own season boxes. Frankly, the quality on the discs is outstanding, and if it means sacrificing that, I dunno if it's worth it.
I have confirmation from their marketing people that they HAVE heard the cry from fans, and because of strong sales, something may be able to be done to maybe bump it to more eps/release
They ARE trying, but they have to make a profit to stay in buisness.
Jeff Kleist
Otaku no DVD Columnist/Review Team MemberLink Removed

Jacob Perry

Stunt Coordinator
I can understand the box set decision, but I wish they could release the volumes quicker. At this rate, we should have season 1 complete by 2003!

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
The discs on coming out every month, and with 2 eps apiece we should finish Season 1 by January
I agree, wish it could go faster, especially since I just addicted my mother to it tonight. She sat through 6 episodes straight(She has NEVER sat through 6 episodes of ANYTHING) and wants more more more more! I only have the 4th disc to satisfy her hunger, then what am I going to do? :)
Jeff Kleist

Jacob Perry

Stunt Coordinator
Disc 4 was disappointing. I didn't mind buying only 2 episodes per disk with the great commentaries but with the lack of extras I think they should go to 3 a disk.
Anyone know why they nixed the commentaries? The cast seemed to love doing them. Maybe because they are to busy filming season 3?
2 barebones episodes a disk? What is this Star Trek?

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
Because they recorded all 6 commentaries at the same time, after that it was a "let's see how they sell". Commentaries will probably be coming back, given how much everyone's liked and enjoyed them
4 isn't barebones, it has the Anthony Simco featurette and some other stuff
Please keep in mind that when I talk to ADV, I pass along what I've heard here, and I'm sure the ADV employees here do as well. You ARE being listened to, but things get planned out and authored MONTHS in advance, and you'll just have to wait to see when it takes effect
Jeff Kleist

Jacob Perry

Stunt Coordinator
I agree that the quality is great, the picture and sound is first rate. Thats the bottom line. Commentaries and extras are gravy.
Just put them out faster. The Region 2 release is awesome. I can't help but be jealous. I'm a Farscape Fanatic!

Daniel Kikin

Screenwriter
Jeff, sorry to nag but anything new on releasing Farscape quicker or in box sets? These six week waits seem to feel longer between each release!

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
Nothing new that I've heard. It's one of the things I'm going to be asking about at Otakon, weekend of the 10th tho
Jeff Kleist

Mikel_Cooperman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mikey
I know I want Box sets and most of my friends are not buying the 2 episode DVDs because they are holding out for WHOLE SEASONS.
Please let us know.

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
You'll be waiting a long time then. ADV doesn't do box sets of anything (no, the 2 discs in a box for Robotech doesn't count). As I said earlier in the thread, they are considering puting out an X-Files style box to hold them in, but that's as close as you're going to get
Jeff Kleist

Daniel Kikin

Screenwriter
The box sets don't bother me as much - after the chat with Peter, I'm glad we have Farscape on DVD at all, considering what lots of shows are going through with syndication rights, etc. I just wish they'd come out faster than one in six weeks or two at a time.
[Edited last by Daniel Kikin on August 02, 2001 at 10:44 AM]

Mikel_Cooperman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mikey
Yeah, it is good we have them all but who can afford to pay $20.00 for two episodes and at the rate they are releasing them and with less extras, we are going to be waiting a hellva long time.
Here is the consensus from Amazon.com:
Great Show but DVD release is too slow, June 10, 2001
Reviewer: A viewer from San Diego, CA USA
I've recently started watching the show on the sci-fi channel and instantly got hooked. The cast, characters and special effects is everything you could ever want in a weekly sci-fi epic.
I bought the first two DVD released by ADV to catch up on the story since we're well into season 3 now. Then I found out that ADV is releasing only 2 episodes per month. I will have to wait approx. 7 more months to view season 1. >:-(
Then there is the cost of... per episode that discouraged me even further. I ended up buying Farscape region 2 DVD's from the UK for about... for the entire season 1 and I'm mid-way through season 2 now. :) It’s a bit expensive but I did save... and the wait, well worth it.
I had to switch the region code on my DVD-rom drive on my computer so I can view it. NO BIG DEAL but do your homework if you go this route.
Hopefully ADV and Jim Henson Co. will get the hint and start thinking about the fans and not about maximizing profits on nickel and dime DVD sales. I wanted to view the entire season and I would have preferred it to be in region 1 coding. Oh, well I lost patience and ADV lost my money. Too bad for ADV.
Skimping on the extras!, July 16, 2001
Reviewer: Steve Ryhn (see more about me) from Mendota Heights, MN USA
While the first 3 DVDs had entertaining audio commentaries on the episodes, the 4th DVD does not. Indeed, the "extras" are production designs and a D'Argo profile, of which half of the footage is recycled from eariler DVD extra footage.
Given that they are only putting 2 episodes on each DVD, this really felt like they are socking it to us. I was rather ticked about the whole deal. If it wasn't such a great series, I would never contemplate buying another DVD. As it is, they better not skimp on the extras on the future DVDs, or they will have one fewer customer in me.
frown.gif

Great Episodes, Poor DVD, July 13, 2001
Reviewer: Charles Paschall (see more about me) from Richmond, VA
It is a bit of a rip to only release 2 episodes per DVD. I was dealing with that fine. The commentary tracks on the past DVDs made up for it a bit. This one has NO extras at all and yet is still priced like the prior ones. ADV and Jim Henson should be ashamed. I think I will stick with my dub tapes rather than get this DVD. I returned mine. Sad to say though that people are still going to buy these no mater how overpriced they are. The episodes on here are great though. PK Tech Girl develops some of the emotions between Aeryn and John. That Old Black Magic shows some of Zahn's dark past.

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
It used to be $25 for 2 eps
I will post here when I hear something about the boxes, but given that there are still 2 more discs in season 1 to go, I'd just calm down ;)

Frank Anderson

Senior HTF Member
Now there is only one disc left to finish off season one.

Any idea when it might come out?

Any rumors on when season two might start coming?

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
March for disc 11, same 6 weeks between discs as before

From what I hear Season 2 may take a different release form (but still done right) but DO NOT TAKE THAT AS GOSPEL. IT IS HERESAY ONLY. I REPEAT, DO NOT BELIEVE THIS AND REPEAT IS AS CONFIRMED TRUTH

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks