Farscape S4 Box to be flippers

Discussion in 'TV on DVD and Blu-ray' started by Eric F, Sep 19, 2004.

1. Eric F

Eric F Screenwriter

ADV does it again, changing format mid-stream. I was unhappy to find out Andromeda S2 collection was flippers, while the individual retail release wasn't.

I don't like flippers because I have a DVD changer which is single sided only. For $100+ MSRP you'd think they would give us the whole deal.

2. Chad E

Chad E Stunt Coordinator

ADV's website claims the Farscape Complete Collection - Season 4 contains 10 discs, which would imply they were single-sided discs, wouldn't it? The same as Seasons 2 and 3, I believe.

Where did you hear they were flippers? I guess it's possible ADV changed the specs for this and hasn't yet updated their site. Now I'm curious...

3. Eric F

Eric F Screenwriter

Almost all the stores are listing it as "5pieces". Maybe they mean 5 2 disc boxes?

I hope I'm wrong, because I want to try digging up the individual releases on eBay.

It really annoyed me that they did that they went with flippers for Andromeda without notification.

4. Jesse Skeen

Jesse Skeen Producer

[​IMG]

5. Eric F

Eric F Screenwriter

Nice reply- we're not mindreaders. I'm not the only one who doesn't like flippers.

6. Jason_V

Jason_V Producer

Jason
    ^ Same here. I can never remember which side has what shows on them and which side should go up in whichever player I'm using.

Just box up the existing discs and put them on a shelf. It can't be that hard.

7. GarySchrock

GarySchrock Second Unit

Wow, if this turns out to be true, I'm so glad I got impatient and bought the individual releases of season 4. (When I bought them I wasn't sure when the box set was coming out, and I picked them up most of them through the DDD sale.)

8. MattGentry

MattGentry Second Unit

I too hate double-sided discs. If for nothing else then because of scratching...

9. Michael St. Clair

I like flippers when they save shelf space. [​IMG] [​IMG]

10. Ted Todorov

Ted Todorov Producer

The type of packaging has far more to do with the shelf space then whether they are flippers or not.

Example: the R2-UK Buffy & Angel 6 DVD season sets are thinner than some two DVD cases I have. I hate flippers for TV shows. The worst offender so far was Northern Exposure, where there was no way to figure out what was the correct episode order from the stupid flipper labels.

Say yes to thin, space saving packaging and say NO to flippers.

Ted

11. Jesse Skeen

Jesse Skeen Producer

For the 100th time, DVD was designed as a 2-sided medium. End of story.

12. James Landau

James Landau Stunt Coordinator

There seems to be some confusion about terminology in this thread. I think what you are all discussing is simply double-sided discs, not flippers. To my knowledge, there have been no TV sets released as flippers (I can imagine the uproar if there had been) and I can't see any reason ADV would release this set as such. Each episode simply isn't that long. We're not talking 3-hour movies here. ADV would either have to be insane or extremely desperate to cram the set on as few discs as possible. But then again, I've already seen a few examples of a layer change coming just five seconds before the end of an episode. So I guess it wouldn't be too shocking if some company thought we'd be just fine with flipping a disc over to watch that last five seconds.

13. MarkHarrison

MarkHarrison Supporting Actor

Thank you James. This is one of my pet peeves. It's quite silly I know, but it bugs me to see people get this one mixed up over and over and over. [​IMG]

14. Michael St. Clair

Did you read what I said? That's why I said I like flippers when they save shelf space. And sometimes, they do just that. [​IMG]