Farscape S4 Box: AR Question

Discussion in 'TV on DVD and Blu-ray' started by Chad E, Oct 21, 2004.

1. Chad E

Chad E Stunt Coordinator

I finally found the Farscape S4 box set yesterday. I picked it up without looking it over too closely, since I had checked online beforehand, and it appeared that there was only one version available. However, when I got it home (and thankfully, before I took the shrinkwrap off!) I realized that the "spec sheet" included under the shrinkwrap gave the AR as "4:3".

Now, I thought that S4 was filmed in widescreen, and I'm pretty sure that I read reviews of the single-volume releases that stated they were anamorphic widescreen. I had assumed that ADV would just basically repackage the single-volume releases into a box. However, this "4:3" has me concerned. Can anyone who purchased the box set confirm that the "4:3" is just a packaging error, and that the actual discs themselves are 16:9?

Just to let you know, the set was purchased at Future Shop in Canada. Interestingly, Future Shop's own site lists the item as anamorphic widescreen, and the UPC on FS's site matches the one on my box: 7 02727 10332 2.

I don't want to open the set if these are 4:3 and the original releases were 16:9. Thanks for any help that anyone can provide!

2. Daniel Kikin

Daniel Kikin Screenwriter

I have the individual sets and they're all 16:9, it's probably a packaging error.

3. Michael_EC

Michael_EC Stunt Coordinator

Did anyone else have a defective volume 4.4 in the box set? I've been through two versions and they have both had a defect in the second episode of the first disc.

4. Chris Roberts

Chris Roberts Stunt Coordinator

What is the defect? I don't think I've watched that whole disc yet (I skipped from 4.3 to 4.5).

5. Eric F

Eric F Screenwriter

Is the boxed set on 5 double-sided discs or 10?

6. Jason Borchers

Jason Borchers Second Unit

7. Chad E

Chad E Stunt Coordinator

You're correct. I took the plunge and opened it, and the discs themselves were in fact widescreen. (And in fact, the individual cases inside the box have the correct information printed on them--it's just the spec sheet outside the case that's wrong.) Thank you!

8. Daniel Kikin

Glad to be of service Chad, enjoy the set!

9. Michael_EC

Michael_EC Stunt Coordinator

About halfway through the 2nd episode on the 1st disc the picture froze, then jumped back approx 15 minutes in the episode.

10. NeilO

NeilO Producer

It is really disappointing to read things like this. Several episodes in my season 1 set have similar error problems. I would have hoped the quality control would have improved by now, but apparently not.

Neil

11. Ted Todorov

Ted Todorov Cinematographer

I had problems with the 3 episode discs in seasons 1 & 2 -- the middle episode would pixilate & crap out.

Ted

12. Daniel Kikin

ADV Films has been replacing the Season One faulty discs. Just email ADV Customer Support using their website and they'll send you any necessary replacement discs.

13. MartinMcNally

Got this defect, exchanged the disc and the same error.