What's new

Farscape: Peacekeeper Wars is approaching (1 Viewer)

Kevin Hewell

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Hewell
Well, they have shown that Chiana has this strange leaping ability ("Mind the Baby" S2 Ep1) but they didn't really show it much beyond that.

Sikozu has always been able to walk on walls and the ceiling.

They did ratchet up the fighting but both of them have shown before that they can kick ass.

Chuck Anstey

Screenwriter
Real Name
Chuck Anstey
I know they can kick ass but the first thing that popped into my head when they starting fighting was "This looks exactly like Spiderman vs the robbers with its unrealistic physics". I would have prefered they just kicked their asses the old way without the hopped up CGI.

I still love Scorpius as Einstein / Dr. Strangelove. That was funny.

Chuck Anstey

Frank Anderson

Senior HTF Member
I watched it all last night. An absolutely frelling awesome mini-series. It sure would be nice if the ratings are good enough to support making another mini-series. Claudia Black never looked better. I enjoyed seeing so many characters coming back but was disappointed in not seeing Kent McCord back. Maybe in a next one we see Little D aged into his teen years and help grandpa out on Earth.

[url=https://static.hometheaterforum.com/imgrepo/7/7d/images_smiley_spidey.gif] [/url]

Ric Easton

Senior HTF Member
I think I read somewhere that Claudia Black might not be interested in making anymore. If that's the case, then I would still be happy that we got a fitting end to the series.

...and no cliffhanger!

Ric

Patrick_S

Senior HTF Member
Wow I certainly hope that you are wrong about that one.

FYI: The DVD comes out January 18, 2005.

Here is some information concerning the DVD.

Packing over 4 Hours of show, plus extras,:

- "The Making of The Peacekeeper Wars " (30-minutes)
- Interactive Conceptual Art Gallery
- Authentic Production Storyboards
- Spacecraft Gallery
- And much, much more!

The specs on this are: Widescreen Video, English 5.1 Dolby Audio, English 2.0 Surround Audio, and English & Spanish Subtitles.

I’m kind of disappointed that there is no mention of commentary tracks. The ones the the cast did for the DVDs are generally entertaining.

Moe Maishlish

Supporting Actor
I think there's lots of room left for exploration with future Farscape mini-series'.

Rigel's backstory, while generally accepted (i.e. deposed dominar), has hardly been explored. The brief snippet of communication between himself & his cousin in the mini could open up a door for a future mini-series...

Then there's the whole D'Argo/Sikozu/Mr. Crusty
side story that we were talking about earlier. The writers can flex their (somewhat predictable) creativity with this one, and make for a fitting re-union.

One thing that kinda disappointed me during the mini was no mention or appearance by Xan. I would have really enjoyed seeing her character once again, even if only as an echo in John's memory, or something that Stark could conjure up.
Not exactly a missed opportunity, but perhaps some fodder for future mini's.

On a side note, given those stellar ratings, doesn't Sci-Fi feel stupid for cancelling this show? I mean... duh!

:D

Moe.

Kevin Hewell

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Hewell
If they do anymore minis/films I would love if they explored the whole Nebari angle. That's something that could be very explosive.

Lee Jamilkowski

Stunt Coordinator
I remember Rockne S. O'Bannon saying at one time that Farscape is John's last adventure or something to that effect, definitely implying that it will lead up to his life ending at some point. The miniseries kind of forces O'Bannon's HORIZONS story from the Farscape magazine into the dream/alternate timeline/other explanation status as some of it can't come true now.

Also, as I recall, the implication at the end of the show was that John permanently closed up the wormhole to Earth, meaning that unless he takes the long way home (60 years or so), he's probably going to have to make his home out in the Uncharted Territories and probably accept he'll never see his Earthbound family and friends again.

I also couldn't help but think that the father of Grazya's child might be John.

I'm surprised they could get away with what John wrote on the chalkboard. I guess as long as certain letters are missing, it's the equivalent of bleeping, eh?

Steven.W.T

Stunt Coordinator
'Farscape' Pulls In Impressive Audience
Author: Michael Hinman
Date: 10-19-2004
Source: Watch Farscape

While it didn't get the same numbers that "Battlestar Galactica" did last December on the Sci-Fi Channel, one thing producers for "Farscape: Peacekeeper Wars" can say about that "Galactica" only had to deal with Cylons ... John Crichton (Ben Browder) and crew had to face baseball playoffs and high-rated television series on other networks.

The four-hour miniseries, shown last weekend on the Sci-Fi Channel, pulled in some 2 million viewers both nights in its original run, showing that there definitely is life left on Moya.

According to a press release from the Sci-Fi Channel, Sunday night's broadcast pulled in a 1.5 rating on the cable channel, showing huge increases for viewership in that timeslot from just one year before. The first night of "Farscape" bumped Sci-Fi's audience by 88 percent overall, and more than 163 percent in the key 25- to 54-year-old age demographic. Those 18-49 were drawn in as well, as Sci-Fi saw a 202 percent jump in that demo.

What was more impressive was the fact that more people tuned in for the first broadcast of part two, than showed up for the first part. The last two hours of "Farscape" earned a 1.9 rating, equating to more than 2 million viewers, up 30 percent over the previous night.

The show was a ratings winner for Sci-Fi, making it the highest-rated cable network in those key demographics for the two nights. It beat out TNT, TBS and SpikeTV.

While the initial ratings numbers don't account for encore showings of the mini, Sci-Fi Channel officials said some 7 million pairs of eyes were on "Farscape" over the weekend.

So, what will come next for "Farscape"? It's hard to tell. Sci-Fi Channel canceled the show prematurely in 2002. Thanks to numerous well-organized fan campaigns, The Jim Henson Co. -- which produces "Farscape" -- found private funding, and put together the four-hour miniseries.

While Sci-Fi Channel did pick up the miniseries for its original air, it is unclear whether the network will order more telemovies or miniseries based on the Rockne O'Bannon series in the future. Such a decision would likely be made next year.

As for a series revival? That, too, remains a possibility. The miniseries finished with stronger numbers than what "Farscape" had before it was canceled, but it will be up to studio heads whether the series itself could see a comeback.

Rex Bachmann

Screenwriter
Real Name
Rex Bachmann
Moe Maishlish wrote (post #67):

Most especially since their pretext for terminating it was that today's young "demographic" isn't that excited or turned on by space settings and the like. Note that Sci-Fi's regular line-up now includes one night of Stargate SG-1 (Monday), one of Andromeda (Tuesday), and one of an admixture of "space operas" (the aforementioned + Stargate Atlantis) (Friday), all "space shows" that their demographers supposedly told them no one they would want to attract to their broadcasts would be interested in.

Rex Bachmann

Screenwriter
Real Name
Rex Bachmann
Kevin Hewell wrote (post #54):

Depends on one's willingness to come to conclusions and make related assertions based only on inferences.

Joseph Bolus

Senior HTF Member
OK ... I have some questions relating to the series (I'm a little late to the Farscape party, having just finished Season 4 the Sunday morning of the Mini-Series!)

*** Spoilers Ahead ***

* Nobody explicitly stated it, but isn't it true that Aeryn's baby is actually "Twin John's" baby? The only time we actively see Aeryn and John "getting it on" is during the latter part of Season 3 when she's with "Twin John" on Talyn. By the beginning of Season 4 Aeryn is pregnant (with the fetus in "stasis".) I don't suppose it makes much difference since the two Johns' were identical, but I just thought it was a little odd that nobody brought that up.

* On the other hand, it seems quite possible that Grayza could be pregnant with the current John's child. She's obviously very pregnant during the mini-series, and she raped John in one of the earlier episodes of Season 4. Is it possible that Grayza's child, if it is John's, could retain some of the Wormhole Knowledge? For that matter, could Aeryn and John's child also retain some of that knowledge? (Don't forget that the twin John that died at the end of "Icarus Abides" knew all about Wormholes: Even how to use them as weapons! He had also been cleansed of Harvey!)

*** Major Spoiler Here ***

* Is D'argo *really* dead? We never actually see him perish, and it's possible that he and the Doctor's Assistant, and perhaps even Sikozu, could have skipped out together on an abandoned ship!

Well ... That's all I have! I *loved* the series and it was a real kick to view the "We're so Screwed Trilogy" on Saturday, "Bad Timing" on Sunday morning, and then the start of the mini-series Sunday evening!!!

Everlasting Gobstopper

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Mark
I'm gonna assume that anyone reading this has seen the miniseries. If not, some spoilers ahead. Be warned.

Count me in as someone who loved the miniseries, and for whom the idea of Sikozu being a Scarran spy doesn't sit well. I mean, they seem to have totally ignored the fact that she was a Bioloid with the specific trait of being able to kill Scarrans in her presence. Not to mention that a lot of her actions are unmotivated, such as her helping everyone escape the Scarran brig at the beginning of PKW: part 2, or helping Chrichton and friends destroy the Matriarch plant in "We're So Screwed" part 3.
I actually would have put money on Braca being the spy, since his loyalty seems based on ambition, rather than belief. If the Scarrans offered him a better deal, such as controlling Peacekeeper space under Scarran occupation, then he would have taken it in a heartbeat. It doesn't seem far-fetched that they would make him such an offer, given his quick rise in the ranks and his proximity to Grayza and Scorpius in the top echelons of PK hierarchy. Anyway, just my opinion, still loved it.
Also loved D'Argo's death scene, it ranks up there with the classic John and D'argo buddy dialogue (paraphrasing):
"Do me one last favour..... Chianna."
"I'll look after her."
"No. Go away. I want to be alone with Chianna."

Rex Bachmann

Screenwriter
Real Name
Rex Bachmann
Patrick_S wrote (post #73):

Quote:

Ok perhaps I should have written that it is safe to say they have a common ancestry.

Not so safe. The identification with Earth is not proven and seems even to be contradicted by the show itself. And, so far as I know, no evidence has been presented to claim that Earthlings were transplanted to Earth from some other place---much less one inhabited in common with Sebacean ancestors---in time immemorial. (Anyone?)

Chuck Anstey wrote (post #60):

Quote:

I love the movie and TV references. There were two direct and great references to Dr. Strangelove, plus 2001, crash test dummies, etc.

(post #62):

Quote:

I still love Scorpius as Einstein / Dr. Strangelove. That was funny.

Quote:

"This looks exactly like Spiderman vs the robbers with its unrealistic physics". I would have prefered they just kicked their asses the old way without the hopped up CGI.

It's another filmic quote from yet another movie. Putting it in CGI lets you people in the audience who go "gah-gah" over these references know: "Hey! We're quoting from Spiderman, CGI and all!"

And there's no end to it. Why would you fans who like this sort of thing ever want them to stop the endless torrent of pop-culture references? If you like 75% of them, why not the other 25%?

I watched this "miniseries" not only (nor primarily) to see the outcome of the story, but to try to grasp the fanatic appeal of the series as a whole---and I was assuming, and still assume, that the "miniseries" is in all significant ways representative of the series itself, since I haven't yet caught up with back viewing of later episodes.

I'm afraid it was all too typical of what I've seen before and come to expect from its producers. For me this "miniseries" recapitulates the hallmarks---no pun intended---, mainly what I see as the weaknesses, of Farcape the regular series: its obsessive jokiness and juvenilism, and---yes, this viewing has decided me that I was right about it all along---its utter creative bankruptcy.

The most irritating aspect of viewing Farscape for me is, hands down, listening to the dialog, which is overloaded with what might be called "anachronisms", except that the term "anachronism", as its etymology (word history) shows, implies a misplacement of something in time. Well, this isn't, for the most part, about time-misplacement. It's about misplacement of something in space, mostly social space. In other words, it is dialog that is socially inappropriate, which is to say, that it is presented not where it can most efficiently facilitate communication, it is presented where it should, by all rights, thoroughly inhibit clear and efficient communication in the given (inappropriate) environment. I've wracked my brain and tried to search for a term for this phenomenon (of something being out of its natural or appropriate place) and have been unable to come up, even after a dictionary search, with a good, usable term. (Well, actually, indecency, literally from the Latin verb meaning 'to fit' (decere), refers to that which is inappropriate (not fit(ting) in(to) a given situation), but this word has all kinds of moralistic baggage attached to it and, consequently, would be---you guessed it---unfit for the use to which I want to put the word. So, "no go".)

That has forced me to coin a term, and the candidate choice has not been good. It winnowed down to "anatopicalism" (topical means, literally, 'of or pertaining to a place or locality'), which would directly parallel to anachronism, and a term "extratopicality" (which can also be concretized into a plural). But the former is hard not so opaque to native speakers and the ana-prefix would be impertinent to its intended meaning, while the latter works (at least for me) as meaning something 'outside of (extra-) its place', so I will use that (but, hopefully, not too much) as a reference point.

These extratopicalities of the discourse (inappropriate references or expressions in the dialog) come from various subject arenas of the source culture (on Earth, of course): tv, theatrical movies, (popular) music, technics (technology-specific), athletics, folklore (e.g., sayings), as well as other out-of-place cultural areas.

As I've said, the dialog of this series is overloaded with these so-called extratopicalities, and that is the one factor that made me stop watching the series after---what?---two seasons. Here is a (no doubt incomplete) list of evidence of these from this "miniseries" alone:
  1. Scorpius has deserted his post to come find Crichton, so his id-codes are no longer valid. Crichton (as he uses the armored Scorpius's body as a shield against marauder fire): "To find li'l ol' me? . . . Funny what a man will do when he's in love." [a riff on Hollywood romance dialog?????]
  2. In the presence chamber, Crichton tells Scorpius that he can "give the Scarrans the middle finger", then goes on to greet the Emperor as "Godzilla". [Nipponese-American film reference]
  3. Crichton in the Arctic-mimicking area of the wormhole realm : "Check it out! I'm Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer." [American literary + television reference]
  4. Crichton to Staleek (frozen): "You mess with the natural order, you mess with multiple timelines." Crichton and "the Man" confer and "the Man" disappears. Crichton, picking up snow from the ground in this artificial arctic environment and then balling it up, offers it in demonstration to Staleek: "This is your universe." (and, crumbling it): "This is your universe on wormholes." (vel sim.) [American "anti-drug use" (public-service) television commercial reference]
  5. By now Yandelar has "worked his mojo" on the Emperor, who says that at the heart of the matter is the widespread "perception" that Crichton can create "wormhole" weapons. He speaks in soothed tones of wanting favorable mining rights and trade balance with the populations in the Peacekeeper territories, but otherwise leaving them in "complete independence".
    Crichton (to this) (in a pleased tone): "We're walkin' in 'Federationville' here." [Star Trek reference???]
  6. As Y. lies dying and the Scarrans withdraw from the chamber, Crichton and the others (Sikozu and Aeryn) force Stark to unmask and face the dying "conciliator": "Astroboy, you can take his power and protect his gift [to sway men to peace]!" [Nipponese-American cartoon figure]
  7. Crichton indirectly to Aeryn: "How am I supposed to protect you from the Peacekeepers, the Scarrans, the Tragans, and the lions, tigers, and bears?!?" [Wizard of Oz reference]
  8. Crichton tries to convince the Hierarch of the urgency of accepting Pikal as trainee for mediation duty, since time is running out and they have to leave. In the course of this dialog Crichton proclaims, "I'm just a guy without a brain," and goes on to identify each of his travelling companions with characters out of the Wizard of Oz ". . . . And Dorothy here . . . ." [Wizard of Oz references]
  9. Crichton to War Minister Ahknar, after he has thwarted her attempt to accompany him in pursuit of the wormhole technology, instead of the Emperor himself: "It's a question of balls. The ball's in his [the Emperor's] court." [American jock-speak and sports reference; punning based on modern English homonymy]
  10. Crichton to Scorpius (when the marauders begin firing at him because of his failed Peacekeeper id-codes): "What did you do when you left [the Peacekeepers]? Steal the goose that laid the golden eggs?" [Anglo-American fairy-tale reference]
  11. Rygel to Aeryn (in retort to her panicky calling-out to make sure he and her fetus are unharmed by marauder fire): "Don't get your knickers in a twist." "knickers"? [Reference to cloth garments specific to a (lapsed) time and place: 19th- and 20th-century Earth, Western Europe/North America]
  12. Crichton to the "aliens": "'Things were looking grim in Muddville'." [American legendry + literature reference ("The Mighty Casey")]
  13. "If there was a li'l passenger before, there ain't noone aboard no more" (the albino alien Grundlich's comment to Aeryn based on his doctor's finding that she is no longer pregnant, not even vestigially) [attempt at humor(?) through English-dependent rhyme scheme]
  14. Einstein sketch intervenes with Scorpius as the old genius. He prefers to be called "Einstein". Crichton: "Invisible sidekicks that only I talk to [like the giant rabbit from the eponymous movie] are called 'Harvey'." [Harvey reference]
  15. Scorpius/Einstein gives the straight-armed salute to the wormhole he's conjured up: ["Mein Führer!"?] at which point Crichton addresses him sarcastically: "Listen, Strangelove . . . ." and again denies the ability to create wormholes. [Dr. Strangelove reference]
  16. Crichton (writing on the blackboard to Scorpius/Einstein) "FUCK OFF" [idiomatic juvenile vulgarity]
  17. In the presence chamber, Crichton tells Scorpius that he can "give the Scarrans the middle finger" because they don't know that he doesn't have the knowledge of "wormhole" technology. [more "cutesy", hip vulgarity]
  18. Crichton to D'Argo: "Hey, the cavalry's here." [Anglo-American saying reïnforced principally by the Hollywood "Western"]
  19. Crichton goes off on his own and opens a wormhole. In the artificial arctic environment set up within the wormhole realm, Crichton confronts "the Man". "Unlock the knowledge. I have to make peace." "The Man" recites and Crichton completes each statement:

"the Man": "Time . . ." Crichton: ". . . flies." [human saying]
    "the Man": "Time . . ." Crichton: ". . . . Bandits." [Hollywood movie reference]
    "the Man": "Time . . ." Crichton: ". . . wounds all heels." [pun c/o Mr. Peabody from Rocky & Bullwinkle]
    "the Man": "Time . . ." Crichton: ". . . rosemary and . . ." [Simon or Garfinkle, please sue!]

"the Man": "Time . . ." (after a significant pause) Crichton: ". . . ends."

Is this supposed to be? Sibylline riddle, farce, or what?
  20. Crichton comes back bloody and dizzy (from receiving the knowledge?): "War and Peace, War and Peace . . . Woody Allen's version is better than Tolstoy's because it's funnier . . . ." [Western literature + Hollywood movie reference]
  21. To Aeryn: "How am I supposed to protect you from the Peackeepers, the Scarrans, the Tragans, and the lions, tigers, and bears?" [Wizard of Oz reference]
  22. As the Scarrans and Peacekeepers battle in space above the planet, some Peacekeepers protect the remaining Eidolons in the ruins of the temple in the levelled city. Crichton and company enter the ruined temple. To Capt. Braka's question: "You're the reïnforcements?"
    Crichton: "No we're the band. Looks like Kiss was your opening act." [American rock-music reference]
  23. Crichton congratulates Stark on successfully imparting the Hierarch's power to the Eidolon high priestess: "That's a fantastic job. You're the Johnny Appleseed of Detente."

Stark: "'Johnny Appleseed'?" [American folk-legend reference]
  24. Crichton's last words to D'Argo: "The first Scarran you see, tell him who his daddy is!", which D'Argo does doing his final scenes (shootouts] "I'm you're DA-ddy!" ["hip" pop-cultural expression, presumably derived from lower-class black urban speech (actually black "pimp-speak"???)]
  25. Crichton explains the exponential growth of the wormhole with a penny analogy and ends with another out-of-place Crichtonism shouted at Scorpius: "[it grows] . . . until you've got the IRS all over your ass!" "IRS"? [reference to an American societal institution]
  26. Crichton reaches his crisis point and apogee of viral episode, which is symbolized by a steal from the "white-room" scenes of 2001, with a "dying" Scorpius in the role of old Bowman bidding farewell to Crichton who is himself attired in black space suit, playing the facing, younger Bowman standing before a smallish black monolith. [not even just a movie reference; an outright demeaning steal (a travesty of the original source)][/list=1]

The sum of items #1 - 26 = creative bankruptcy. (And that last one is a gratuitous sham of the worst kind!)

Now some questions.

---Given their frequency in the discourse, why would the "aliens" not have plenty of occasions to need---nay, demand---from Crichton an explanation of each and every one of these?
    ---To whom are these statements really being addressed, do you think?
    ---Realistically, would "people" (or even wormhole beings dressed up as humanoid) originating and situated thousands (millions?) of light years away benefit in any shape, form, or fashion from being constantly peppered/bombarded with these (for them) irrelevant and non sequitur references or expressions?
    ---Why is there no semblance of dramatic reality---would humans or humanlike beings actually act and reäct this way under the circumstances ("verisimilitude")---in the whole matter, since this kind of dialog takes up so much of the interaction of the characters in this series (and "miniseries")?
    ---So, when is enough enough already? (Writers: "Do we cram 50, 76, or 100 pop-cultural references into this week's script, Joe?")
    ---When do the other characters stand up and tell Crichton that every stupid third utterance he makes is incomprehensible garbage to them, as would happen in a "real-world" scenario where an outsider kept talking casually in an "alien lingo"---and I don't mean language here!!!---about things none of his interlocutors had ever experienced?
    ---Why must the writers/producers of this show beat the audience over the head with these "extratopicalities" week after week after week?
    ---More importantly, why is there no demand from Farscape's adherents for any standards for all this? ("It's all just for laughs"???)

Of lesser, but still significant, distraction for some of us is the science. The attitude of the producers of this program seems to be "science schmience!", and that seems to suit the fan(atic)s just fine. Here is a short list of peeves I have with the miniseries:
    • "Leave no child behind!": Rygel, underwater, swallows up all the crystals pieces of Crichton and Aeryn (crystallized by the wake of the passing ship of the Eidolons on the (unnamed) water planet), and he regurgitates them once he's on a boat on the surface. Upon examination, it is found out that "re-constituted" Aeryn shows no trace of pregnancy at all. In fact, it turns out (rather too conveniently) that all the "baby bits" have been left behind in Rygel, who is now pregnant. [hardy-har-har!]
    • "Out goes the bad air; in comes the good!" Crichton and Aeryn perform the baby transfer from Rygel to her during the firefight that ensues from their break-out of lock-up. She stands there firing while he "pumps her up"! Utterly ridiculous! Oh, yeah, thereafter Rygel suffers weepy postpartem depression. [hardy har-har!]
    • "Open yourself up to the love!": Eidolons are the scarified people whose ancestors (conciliators) had the power to "influence other races to peace". Eidolon Pikal literally opens up (his head) to reveal inner eyes (all blue, naturally) which he calls "antennæ", as does the high priestess in part II, if I recall correctly. I don't know about anyone else, but I'm tired of "humanoids" that aren't really humanoid. This is like having human form, yet an evolutionarily utterly unjustified alien physiology at the same time, just for the sake of the plot. ("Eating one's cake and having it, too.")
    • alien Interaction ("social" and otherwise) Addendum: I overlooked the obvious in my question above about human-Sebacean DNA differences: Emperor Staleek's statement that he finds it "troubling and intriguing" that Sebaceans and humans can propogate together, and proclaims Ae&C's baby an "abomination". But, then too, it is quite easy to overlook something like this, because, in the "science" of the Farscape universe, apparently Scarrans and Sebaceans can "propogate together", too, under some (artificial?) circumstances (whence Scorpius). Also, Sebaceans and Luxans (e.g., Ka D'Argo + [Sebacean woman] ====> Jothee).

In the show's one sop to a serious consideration of the implications of its premises (besides the destructiveness of "wormholes" ("Duh!")), the hybridity potential of these various species is tied in with the race-feelings discussed by Sikozu and Aeryn. Sikozu and Aeryn spend time talking about concepts of racial inferiority. Sikozu [one of the Kalish(?) that have been subordinated to the reptilian Scarrans] is---or claims to be---affianced to Scorpius (half-Scarran, half-Sebacean), while Aeryn, Sebacean, is affianced to the human Crichton. (Scarrans and humans, each in their own way, considered "inferior" to Sebaceans.)

Sikozu wants to know why Aeryn would be willing to bear the child of an inferior being (the human Crichton). She says she has had to reässess herself with regard to Scorpius, whom, as half-Scarran, she had first considered to be her inferior. His abilities have proven him to be otherwise, she states. Naturally, the heroine of the piece talks instead about "equality" in her relationship.

But all this is a bit too little coming a bit too late, in my book.
    • "wormhole" weaponry: Back on Moya, John Crichton finds that the DRD's (robot drones) have built a mechanism, apparently to his precise specifications (i.e., apparently designed uniquely for his genetic code and/or mental imprint), which they all believe is a "wormhole weapon".

Once the device has been activated and starts to take devastating effect, Crichton explains the exponential growth of the destructive phenomenon with a penny analogy and ends with another out-of-place Crichtonism shouted at Scorpius. The "wormhole" will grow to swallow the entire galaxy, he says, leaving only a "headstone" of where they all once lived.

Well, maybe I've been watching too much Star Trek, but I think I've read also independently that "wormholes", if they even exist, do not come "in one-size-fits-all" and don't necessarily grow to gobble up everything in sight or reach, or both. I'm sure no scientist, but "wormholes" aren't (necessarily?) the same as "black holes", which seem to be what the authors/producers of this piece are confounding (and, probably, confusing, as well). In theory, you could have "wormholes" with event horizons about the circumference of a quarter, or a dime, even. If such a thing could be used as a weapon, it needn't be gargantuan. Could be lilliputian, or even microscopic. As far as what little science I know, "black holes" are a whole 'nother matter and that term would better suit what these people really mean. (Physicists in the audience, please speak up on the issue!)
    • survivability in free space or low planetary orbit while naked to space: War Minister Ahknar has her ship fire at and destroy the cloaked shuttle containing Dargo & Chiana. These two survive the explosion but are left floating in planetary orbit. The Luxan supplies her with bits of breathable air---where is he getting it from?---as they float in space, she only half-conscious. He himself can survive thus "a quarter arn". D'Argo and Chiana, adrift in low planetary orbit, are shortly later rescued by a ship piloted by D'Argo's son, Jothee. Okay, I didn't buy it when they used this gimmick the first time. Still don't.
    • Back and Forth---To and Fro': Travelling all over normal space, plus the ease of wormhole travel---telling the emperor that the ride is "bumpy", or whatever, doesn't cut it---reduces space flight to ridiculous normalcy and trivializes the whole experience. I know this is a problem for all space shows, but this miniseries just reduces it ad absurdum to a trifle.[/list=a]

There is no attempt made to justify any of this with anything like plausible expository build-up, as far as I can tell. It's just, "we say it's science, therefore it's science." Voilà!

Some other peeves and points (just for fun!):

(I) "Who died and made you queen?": From where does Grayza, a field commander, get the authority to make a peace accord in the name of the entire Peacekeeper regime, as she does here? Surely, the Vice-Chancellor, sent after Grand Chancellor Marek's "tragic and unexpected" demise, with whom her fleet avoids its appointment to rendezvous, is more likely the person to make such a deal. Why would the "authority" of such a subordinate be recognized by the other side, when the real leadership could, and might well, ignore any such accord made?

(II) The story has a running wedding gag.

first attempt: held right outside of the temple on the water planet, it is presided over by the Eidolon high priestess and is interrupted by the arrival of Scorpius and Sikozu in his Peacekeeper command-carrier.
      second attempt: held on board Moya, Rygel the Dominar presides---is forced to preside---as they traverse to Arknesh. This is interrupted by a marauder vessel in Peacekeeper space.
      third attempt: right before Aeryn gives birth, presided over by Stark while Aeryn sits in a pool of water awaiting the birth of the child. Crichton ([sign], as usual): "We can go to Vegas tomorrow!" Naturally, "honeymoon" jokes and jabs are exchanged after the "ceremony" is performed.

Was this gag supposed to reduce the event to insignificance? If it was, . . . it IT WORKED!

(III) Ahknar is promised a clean slate with Emperor Staleek and the real possibility of being elevated to the position of "Empress", if she, literally, brings back Crichton's head. So, she wanders around the battlefield in her gown and high heels à la Buck Rogers babes or the dainty pretties of Queen of Outer Space (1958). [Bbbbbbbbbbbwaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhha-ha-ha-ha-ha!]

Other general points:

The flashback structure of the narrative of the "miniseries" takes away somewhat from the suspense in that we know---because we are told---from the beginning that the hero has survived and saved the day (no more war).

Lastly, the Scarran make-up and prosthetics are mostly unconvincing. They look phony, like old-fashioned aliens. Since they're the chief villains, that's not good at all for the "realism" of the story. Big demerits for that from me! The villains have to convince for the sake of the dramatic tension of the story!

Note: The only thing I can take truly seriously in the whole production is the music here by Guy Gross. Luckily, it is not the usual ugly-noisy vocalese ("Ooh-ah! Ooh-ah! Ooh-ah! Ooh-ah! Ooh-ah! Ooh-ah!" underneath the opening explanatory narrative spoken by John Crichton, like the introductory theme of Dilbert)) that plagues regular episodes. They even have (psuedo-)Gregorian chant on the soundtrack during the space flotation scenes involving Ka D'Argo and Chiana.

Ric Easton wrote (post #55):

Quote:

You can nit-pick all you want, I think it was just about perfect and worth the year and a half wait . . . . this thing was absolutely epic.

My conclusion, from all that I have seen is that Farscape is pure, unadulterated "science" fantasy, which its adherents "get off on" as just that. No hypothesis defines it. No logic informs it. No coherence constrains it.

I look forward to watching the rest of the series weekly episodes that I have missed, in (vain?) hope that there will be something there to make me understand what the appeal of this is to adults who consider themselves level-headed and of reasonably high standards, 'cause I haven't found it so far, either in any of the episodes or in any of the explanations made by adherents on these boards.

And I could certainly live with Farscape's being pure science fantasy, if not for its smartass dialog and constant referentiality. (Something always seems to have to be about something else that has come not long before. (This is often called epigonality)). That's a killer for me. It's like watching an older Joe Dante movie (even one of his relatively good ones). ("Stop me before I point out yet another useless, unnecessary bit of trivium!")

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
And they have, especially in the early episodes. Later on, they would just look each other and shrug when Crichton said something like that. Then, finally, they more or less just filtered the pop culture references out. I suppose if you were looking to justify it internally, you could say that the translator microbes somehow had the ability to learn or communicate the gist, to the point where Rygel, for instance, was hearing Hinerian pop-culture references despite what Crichton was saying.

There's also the possibility that over the past four years (of which we've seen ninety hours of their lives), Crichton has explained some of his references.

Moe Maishlish

Supporting Actor

Jason, let's not forget the period of time that Moya's crew spent on Earth in the 4th season, once John managed to figure out a way to get home. The entire crew was exposed to earth culture - historical, social, pop, etc. Hell - they even brought a HD-RPTV back with them on Moya, with a VCR & everything (this is featured in the one episode when John is watching the doucumentary made about Moya & her crew by Earth reporters). Given the storyline, I'd say that it's more than likely that the crew understand at least some what what Crichton's saying, even if some of it is a little obscure.

Rex, I'm only assuming that you haven't seen every last episode of Farscape. There are an abundance of episodes in Season 4 that might address some of the consistency or reactionary issues that you have with the show. Then again, you seem to have an issue with the execution & characters as much as you do with the content, so maybe this show just isn't for you.

Moe.

Steven.W.T

Stunt Coordinator
So Rex, you watched seasons 1 and 2 of Farscape?

Farscape is mostly about the characters. If you watch every ep from the beginning up you will probabaly love the show! Its not like Trek where you tune in to see what kinda aliens theywill have or what new ship is gonna pop up. You watch for the characters. You wanna know what will happen to them and what they will do. I know thats why I watch it! Farscape fans usually just gleam over the technical stuff that trekkies and stuff always look at. Instead of analyzing it and asking if this totally makes sense and all most just take it in and enjoy it.

Farscape is weird, you get used to it.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks