Farscape - is there a complete SEASON ONE set coming?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Greg Robinson, Apr 15, 2002.

1. Greg Robinson

Greg Robinson Stunt Coordinator

Greg R
    the subject says it all - does one need to buy all those damned 2-packs or are they releasing a season box set? Thanks! How about season 2?

2. Brian E

Brian E Screenwriter

Season two will be coming soon as 2 disc sets. The only way to get Season 1 (R1 anyway) is to buy the 2 episode single disc releases. I would be surprised to see ADV do a box set of this show unless it cost about as much as buying the single discs. There are a lot of mouths to feed on this show (a lot of people have claims to a cut of the dough).

3. Alan Benson

Alan Benson Stunt Coordinator

There's no indication that they're rethinking their strategy. As far as anyone can tell, they plan to do the whole series as 2-episode discs... [​IMG]
    The good news is that they include lots of extras--including commentary for many episodes, unlike most series. The bad news, of course, is both shelf-space and price.
    Unfortunately, they're cutting off their own nose as far as the pricing is concerned-- right now the series is priced so far above the sweet spot that they're probably making less than they would with the boxsets... I know many, many people who'll never buy it this way...

4. Greg Robinson

Greg Robinson Stunt Coordinator

Greg R
    Alan you said it best - you know a lot of people who will never buy it this way. I'm one of those people. Too bad. They should get with the program and look at other studios and what they're doing. Thanks guys.

5. Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist Executive Producer

I'm working on covers for 6 and 5 disc Amarays. Just buy them and put it in those

I believe some discs will have 3 eps, to make up for the odd releases. (they said 5 releases for Season 2, that's 5,4,4,4,5 or some variation thereof)

As others have reiterated for me. Season sets will not ever happen for Farscape. Given that they're in order, and all of them are there, I really don't see the problem. If space is an issue, just use the boxes I'm designing

6. CaptDS9E

CaptDS9E Cinematographer

Ill be waiting for those 5 disc covers jeff :). These farscape discs are top notch and ill continue buying them

capt

7. Jeff Kleist

Agreed. If there's one thing that these discs CAN'T be faulted on it's the quality of picture and sound. Top-notch!

I should be finished with them in a week or so for season 1

8. Brian E

Brian E Screenwriter

I almost forgot. The last time I was at Best Buy they had these discs for $12.99 each (at least for the later discs)! Best price I've seen.

9. Michael Sliger

Michael Sliger Second Unit

Well, I can fault the sound on these disks. ADV is using the unedited PAL masters for these disks (which is good), but they are converting to NTSC by slowing down the episodes from 25 FPS to 24 FPS. This would be acceptable if they were repitching the sound back to the correct frequencies. ADV is not doing this (or they didn't for the early disks). Everyone's voice is too deep and the theme song is played in the wrong key. I find this so extremely annoying that I can't watch more than a few minutes of these disks. The following link confirms this.
    http://pages.prodigy.net/cailibear/merchandise.htm#DVD

10. CaptDS9E

CaptDS9E Cinematographer

I dont hear any problems with the sound, and thats the first thing i usually do pick up

capt

11. Brian E

Brian E Screenwriter

12. Michael St. Clair

I had heard the pitch problem had been corrected after the first two discs, but I cannot confirm this.

I believe the problem was they actually pitch corrected the spedup PAL versions (I THINK that the series is actually shot 24fps 35mm, not 25fps 35mm), but didn't 'undo' the correction when going to DVD for the first two discs.

13. Jeff Kleist

Farscape is shot in native PAL 25fps on film. There is no speedup or slowdown in PAL-NTSC, only added frames to bring it up to 29.97fps. That means that every 2 or 3 minutes there may be a little hiccup, but it's VERY hard to notice if you're not looking for it

I have this right from people who are in the position to know

Jeff

14. Michael St. Clair

15. Jeff Kleist

SciFi is not their biggest source of cash. Australia/UK is I do believe (Henson has always done better in Europe) and PAL to NTSC is much easier/better than NTSC-PAL

I will ask about the first 2 discs, but it sounds like a master tape problem rather than an PAL problem to me

16. Michael St. Clair

17. Todd Hostettler

Todd Hostettler Second Unit

It appears as if the Blockbuster-exclusive "Best Of Season One" set will be released mass-market in July (at a much more wallet-friendly price!).

What are the odds that they've corrected the audio problem for this collection?

18. Ric Easton

Ric Easton Cinematographer

Jeff,

How are those covers coming? Now that I have the whole first season, I can't wait to see what you,ve come up with.

-Ric

19. Jeff Kleist

I'm looking for a picture of Crichton in a "NASA Astronaut photo op" pose. Then I'm finished with the first volume!

20. Peter O

Peter O Stunt Coordinator

Jeff, did you have any luck finding those images you needed? I've tried searching the web, but there isn't anything in high-res printing quality.