Farscape box set question

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Mike McNertney, Nov 4, 2002.

1. Mike McNertney

Does anyone know whether the Farscape Season 1 box set contains the same DVDs as the individually-sold episodes (with different packaging, of course), or whether the box set has added or removed content?

2. Paul McElligott

Paul McElligott Cinematographer

Paul McElligott
    Exactly the same content.

3. Daniel Kikin

Daniel Kikin Screenwriter

Same content, different packaging (six regular size keepcases) and slightly altered disc art.

4. Keith Helms

Keith Helms Stunt Coordinator

They are not the same DVDs. The season box set has 6 discs with 3 or 4 episodes on each, while the 11 individual releases each had 2 episodes on the disc.

5. Andy_Bu

Andy_Bu Supporting Actor

I love HTF sometimes. [​IMG]
    Read the above 3 posts in rapid sucession.
    Andy

6. Paul McElligott

Paul McElligott Cinematographer

Paul McElligott

7. Brian E

Brian E Screenwriter

8. Daniel Kikin

This should clear everything up since I have the set. It is the same 11 DVD's with the same content, slightly altered disc art, in 6 regular size keepcases. Like Brian said, the last case has only one disc.

9. Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist Executive Producer

Yup, season 2 has 2-3 episodes per disc, 2 discs per keepcase at retail

10. Wayne Bundrick

Wayne Bundrick Cinematographer

What Brian and Daniel are saying. Six keepcases, five having two discs and one having one disc, eleven discs total, two episodes per disc, 22 episodes.

And the double keepcases are the world's worst IMHO. My set had four floaters, including one case where both discs were floating. Numerous broken teeth on the hubs, if that's what you can call those goofy flower looking things. One of them has three out of five teeth broken, all adjacent so it can't grip the disc at all.

11. Brian_Linnen

Brian_Linnen Stunt Coordinator

my cousin asked me about this set because although he doesn't have a dvd player, he wanted to invest in it so he would have it when he makes the plunge.

they really didn't make it very affordable, did they?
    the buffy set has about the same number of hour long episodes and it's half the price! this show isn't good enough to charge over $100.00, imho.

why the heavy price tag?

12. Daniel Kikin

I also thought the keepcases were a little lame. I was expecting a case like the Gladiator/Star Wars Episode I one but instead we get this. And what's up with the inserts practically floating in between the two discs?!

13. Brian E

Brian E Screenwriter

14. Rick Guynn

Rick Guynn Second Unit

This is the same (or primarily anyway) reason that the show was cancelled. The company that owns the show wants too much money for it. As much as I like Farscape, I will not pay that much for it. A good comparison is B5. Same number of episodes and yet it can be had for $70 give or take a few dollars. Too bad, really. [​IMG]
    RG

15. Wayne Bundrick

Wayne Bundrick Cinematographer

Shop around and you can find the Farscape box set for $90. I think even the higher price is still worth it, we're talking about 18 hours of content, the equivalent of about 9 movies.

Just look at all the logos on the disc. Lots of hands in the pot. I agree that it's one of the reasons the show was cancelled. Vivendi/Universal/Sci-Fi would rather invest in developing shows it can have more of an ownership interest in. Hence we can look forward to Tremors: The Series.

16. James Reader

James Reader Screenwriter

Wow! Tremors: The series? Is Micheal Gross still in it?
    [Basks in happy glow] [​IMG]
    How long has it been running? Will we get 'Tremors: The Series' in season sets soon?

17. Jeff Kleist

James, Tremors: The Series doesn't start till Spring [​IMG]
    I know the guy who plays Fred is in it

18. Michael Sliger

Michael Sliger Second Unit

Any word on whether ADV fixed the audio pitch on the early episodes for this boxset? The first few single disk releases reportedly had the audio played slower without a "pitch up" when the PAL masters were converted to NTSC (25 fps converted to 24 fps). Do the voices sound too deep and does the theme song play at the wrong key on the first disk?

19. Jeff Kleist

There is no "pitch up" done, just 5 new frames per second are interpolated from the 25fps. So far as I know no tinkering was done for these sets. I am very sensative to PAL speedup and A/Bing disc 1 and disc 5 I didn't detect any appreciable differnce. I'd chalk it up more to just stylistic changes, but I could be wrong

FYI for those not in the know, Farscape is shot on film at a native PAL 25fps

20. Frank Anderson

Frank Anderson Cinematographer

Consider me as being totally confused. I have not seen the set yet other than a picture.
    Are these packaged in Slim double cases or the ones like season two releases?
    The reference to regular size could mean regular in width as a single case or since we are talking double cases some (like me) may consider the wider ones as regular. Same goes for 3-disc case. The Gladiator style and M*A*S*H style are referred to as slim 2 and 3 disc cases.
    [​IMG]