What's new

Farscape box set question (1 Viewer)

Does anyone know whether the Farscape Season 1 box set contains the same DVDs as the individually-sold episodes (with different packaging, of course), or whether the box set has added or removed content?

Keith Helms

Stunt Coordinator
They are not the same DVDs. The season box set has 6 discs with 3 or 4 episodes on each, while the 11 individual releases each had 2 episodes on the disc.

Brian E

Screenwriter
They are not the same DVDs. The season box set has 6 discs with 3 or 4 episodes on each, while the 11 individual releases each had 2 episodes on the disc.
Well according to ADV they're the same 2 episode discs. There are 6 cases in the set, but they hold two discs each (except for the last one I believe).

Daniel Kikin

Screenwriter
This should clear everything up since I have the set. It is the same 11 DVD's with the same content, slightly altered disc art, in 6 regular size keepcases. Like Brian said, the last case has only one disc.

Wayne Bundrick

Senior HTF Member
What Brian and Daniel are saying. Six keepcases, five having two discs and one having one disc, eleven discs total, two episodes per disc, 22 episodes.

And the double keepcases are the world's worst IMHO. My set had four floaters, including one case where both discs were floating. Numerous broken teeth on the hubs, if that's what you can call those goofy flower looking things. One of them has three out of five teeth broken, all adjacent so it can't grip the disc at all.

Brian_Linnen

Stunt Coordinator
my cousin asked me about this set because although he doesn't have a dvd player, he wanted to invest in it so he would have it when he makes the plunge.

they really didn't make it very affordable, did they?
the buffy set has about the same number of hour long episodes and it's half the price! this show isn't good enough to charge over $100.00, imho.

why the heavy price tag?

Daniel Kikin

Screenwriter
I also thought the keepcases were a little lame. I was expecting a case like the Gladiator/Star Wars Episode I one but instead we get this. And what's up with the inserts practically floating in between the two discs?!

Brian E

Screenwriter
they really didn't make it very affordable, did they?
the buffy set has about the same number of hour long episodes and it's half the price! this show isn't good enough to charge over $100.00, imho.

why the heavy price tag?
Well for one thing about 5 groups have their hands in the pot on Farscape. Also as popular as it might be it's nowhere near as popular as a show like Buffy. It's no more expensive than X-Files.

Rick Guynn

Second Unit
This is the same (or primarily anyway) reason that the show was cancelled. The company that owns the show wants too much money for it. As much as I like Farscape, I will not pay that much for it. A good comparison is B5. Same number of episodes and yet it can be had for $70 give or take a few dollars. Too bad, really. :frowning:
RG

Wayne Bundrick

Senior HTF Member
Shop around and you can find the Farscape box set for $90. I think even the higher price is still worth it, we're talking about 18 hours of content, the equivalent of about 9 movies.

Just look at all the logos on the disc. Lots of hands in the pot. I agree that it's one of the reasons the show was cancelled. Vivendi/Universal/Sci-Fi would rather invest in developing shows it can have more of an ownership interest in. Hence we can look forward to Tremors: The Series.

James Reader

Screenwriter
Wow! Tremors: The series? Is Micheal Gross still in it?
[Basks in happy glow] :)
How long has it been running? Will we get 'Tremors: The Series' in season sets soon?

Michael Sliger

Second Unit
Any word on whether ADV fixed the audio pitch on the early episodes for this boxset? The first few single disk releases reportedly had the audio played slower without a "pitch up" when the PAL masters were converted to NTSC (25 fps converted to 24 fps). Do the voices sound too deep and does the theme song play at the wrong key on the first disk?

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
There is no "pitch up" done, just 5 new frames per second are interpolated from the 25fps. So far as I know no tinkering was done for these sets. I am very sensative to PAL speedup and A/Bing disc 1 and disc 5 I didn't detect any appreciable differnce. I'd chalk it up more to just stylistic changes, but I could be wrong

FYI for those not in the know, Farscape is shot on film at a native PAL 25fps

Frank Anderson

Senior HTF Member
Consider me as being totally confused. I have not seen the set yet other than a picture.
Are these packaged in Slim double cases or the ones like season two releases?
The reference to regular size could mean regular in width as a single case or since we are talking double cases some (like me) may consider the wider ones as regular. Same goes for 3-disc case. The Gladiator style and M*A*S*H style are referred to as slim 2 and 3 disc cases.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks