What's new

"Farscape" - a question (1 Viewer)

Joey Gunz

Second Unit
This question is for the people who own the Farscape DVDs.

I'm thinking about buying a set or 2. I have family members who are hard of hearing. Do the DVDs have English subtitles. None of the online sites I visited even mentions what types of language subtitles the DVDs include. They do mention that the DVDs do "not" have CC (Closed Captioning). Thanks for any help you can give me.

TheLongshot

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
I think they were inconsistant with that. The first disc of season 1 did, but the second one didn't. I know this because I had the subtitles on when I was listening to the commentaries, and the second disc didn't have subtitles.

Jason

Joey Gunz

Second Unit
That's pretty odd. Maybe the subtitles are still there but your DVD player, for some strange reason, is having trouble reading it?

Kai Zas

Second Unit
Well... The R2 dvd's don't have any subtitles at all. Shame, realy. I prefer to watch with subtitles first time through just to get the names and alien words right. Somehow I remember more of it after a viewing with the subtitles. Considering English isn't my native language, subs would realy help.

TheLongshot

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason

It probably helps that the R1s were done by an anime company. They are probably used to it. :D

Jason

Kevin Hewell

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Hewell
I own all the Farscape discs and the only one with subtitles is the first disc of Season 1. All the other discs have English closed-captions, though.

Max Leung

Senior HTF Member
Do the region 2 farscapes have closed captioning?

Hmmm, I'm not even sure if my projector supports closed captions (Benq 8700+). Damn. Might have to use my HTPC with a special closed caption filter instead.

Eric F

Screenwriter
Can someone tell me how the volumes are set up? I want to pick up season 3 and noticed that you can purchase them individually off eBay for less than the boxed set will cost.

Some guy is selling S3 v1-8 for $60 shipped. There are 10 vols in S3, right?

TheLongshot

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason

Five, actually.

I'd be wary of buying off of EBay. Bootlegs have a tendency to run amok, especially at that price.

Jason

GarySchrock

Second Unit

I think season three is actually kinda strange. I've seen packaging through online retailers that seem to be 2 episodes a disc, and also the regular packaging that had 5 sets for the season. Take a look through deep discount dvd's listings to see what I mean. That said, I only see 6 of those smaller sets, which clearly doesn't cover the whole season.

Kevin Hewell

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Hewell
As far as I know, the R1 Season 3 DVDs come in 5 sets. Each set contains two discs and each disc contains two (sometimes three) episodes, plus extras. I heard ADV Films is coming out with a box set of the whole season but I'm not sure of the release date.

ETA: I just checked Amazon and it seems that Gary is correct. Season 3 was also released as single discs.

Daniel Kikin

Screenwriter
ADV simultaneously released two disc and single disc sets for Season 3 but the single disc sets were not selling well so they stopped those about halfway through the season and continued with the two disc sets only.

Blu

Screenwriter
I wonder when the price point is going to drop below a hundred bucks.

ChrisBEA

Screenwriter
I picked them up as they were released, so now I have 11 keepcases for season 1 and 15 dbles for seasons 2-4.
Had to get them ASAP. I loved this series.
Cannot wait for the mini in October.

Andres Munoz

Senior HTF Member
I'm starting to rent the first season from Netflix and I have to say, I do not like the way they packaged Season 1.

I mean, only 2 episodes per disc? And they're not even in order? WTF?
The first disc contains episodes 1 and 7, the second disc episodes 2 and 4, and so on, so you're pretty much screwed if you want to watch the season in order.

Star Trek: TNG is the way to package a season!

BTW, I never watched Farscape on TV but since I kept hearing so many good things about it from sci-fi fans, I figured I'd give it a try before the mini in October. After the first 2 episodes, I'd have to say I like it a lot. Gorgeous show to look at and the characters keep getting more interesting and from what I've heard, it will get a whole lot better.

ChrisBEA

Screenwriter
Granted two eps a disk is a bit of a rip, but it looks better than the 4 per disk crammed on some shows. Weird how your disks are out of order, I have all of them and there are only 2-3 instances of being out of order and it was done to keep 2 parters on the same disk.

On the disk 1 you got what episodes are on the disk? The first 2 eps were The Premiere and I, ET.

Andres Munoz

Senior HTF Member
According to Netflix, Season 1 - Disc 1 contains episode 1 (the premiere) and episode 7 (I, ET).
Season 1 - Disc 2 contains episode 2 (Exodus from Genesis) and episode 4 (Throne for a Loss).

Those are the only two I've watched so far.

But it goes on and on like that for season 1. Just to name a few...

Disc 3 contains Episodes 3 & 6: Back and Back / Thank God It's Friday Again
Disc 4 contains Episodes 5 & 8: PK Tech Girl / That Old Black Magic

I find that very annoying!

Edit: It looks like Netflix has the episodes mixed up? I did a search on the net for a Farscape episode guide and I, ET seems to be episode 2, not 7. Throne for a Loss is episode 3, not 4, and so on.

Why would they mess this up like that?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vasyear
Recent bookmarks