Farsacape - What is the "point of no return"?

Discussion in 'TV on DVD and Blu-ray' started by Holadem, Feb 27, 2005.

1. Holadem

Holadem Lead Actor

As in, the episode at which if you're not hooked, you're never gonna be?

Some examples, for Babylon 5, I would say the Chrysalis (S1 finale) and for those who are patient, The Coming of Shadows (S2-9). If you're not fully immersed at that point, might as well give up.

For Buffy, that's Surprise/Innocence, and most definitely Passion

etc...

I watch the disc which contains episodes 5 & 8 (one of which is "That Old Black Magic").

So far, I enjoy the show when I watch it, but haven't been hooked yet. While some might advocate some patience, my main concern comes from the fact that I find the characters very unlikeable, except perhaps (!) John. I don't really care about their fate, am not as curious about their past as I would like to be. The current vilain (Creis) is extremely tedious, his motivations are just plain stupid. I don't find his irrational obsession and desire for vengeance for a death that was clearly an accident one bit compelling, even with the background given in "That Old Black Magic". I certainly hope that the baddies get more interesting that some crazy one dimentional "He killed my brother! Raaaahhhhhh!!!!" loon with zero screen presence.

Characters I care about (or that are even interesting!) are vital for my enjoyement of any show.

So, does it get better? When?

--
    H

2. Jason_V

Jason_V Producer

Jason
    I think near the end of the first season (two parter). I don't remember the names off hand, but it's some excellent TV. The S1 finale is also quite high on my list. But if you can wait until S2, the two three parters and the last 5 eppys or so are completely kickin'.

3. MichaelGH

MichaelGH Stunt Coordinator

I would say that if you aren't hooked once the Scorpius character is introduced, you probably won't want to stay with the show. His character provides motivation and antagonism for the entire rest of the show. He is also one of the most interesting and complex characters in the show. I would say to really appreciate where Farscape is going you have to watch the entire first season before deciding. The first season finale is one of my favorite bits of tv ever. I was simply amazed that something with such great effects and that exciting could air on tv (even on a cable channel).

I would also hate to see anyone give up before season 3 which is the best season although I love the last four episodes of season 4 just as much.

Hope this helps a little bit, and I do hope you get hooked on the show[​IMG]

Michael

4. Nicodemus

Nicodemus Stunt Coordinator

I agree with previous posters: season 1 finale, Family Ties, it is. That's was the most amazing piece of (sci-fi) tv I'd seen. That is, until I saw season 2 finale, Die Me Dichotomy, which I thought couldn't be beat. And then they beat it with season 3 finale, Dog With Two Bones. And then came season 4 finale. So, keep on watching. If Family Ties don't hit, forget about it.

5. Holadem

Holadem Lead Actor

Is there anything good between the season finales? [​IMG]

--
    H

6. Kevin Hewell

Kevin Hewell Cinematographer

Season One really picks up with the ep "A Human Reaction." It then kicks into high gear with "A Bug's Life" and culminates with the season finale. Season 2 starts off slowly but becomes much better as the season progresses. Season 3 is just fantastic all around. Season 4, like season 2, starts off slowly but then gets really good about a third of the way through.

7. Daniel Kikin

Daniel Kikin Screenwriter

I'd also say it's at "Nerve"-"The Hidden Memory", the two-parter towards the end of Season One.

8. Mikah Cerucco

Mikah Cerucco Cinematographer

I was hooked from the first episode. I can't imagine watching a whole year of something that I don't like. No need to force yourself. Some things certain folks like that others don't. I say if the initial episode doesn't grab you, the chances are small that you're going to wake up at the end of S1 and say "Hey, this is a really good show!" There's plenty of entertainment out there. If it hasn't grabbed you, move on to something more to your taste.

I'm from a generation where Star Trek and Star Wars defined Science Fiction. I never watched a single broadcast episode of Farscape (or B5, or Andromeda, or...). I watched a DVD rental on a lark and ended up watching every single episode of the series, including The Peacekeeper Wars miniseries. It sucked me in from the first episode. I like the characters, I like the stories, I like the acting, and I like the universe the story exists in. I truly miss that the show isn't there (though we do get the two main leads on Stargate this coming season).

On the other hand, there are those out there trying to save Enterprise. I have absolutely no qualms about that show dying. I tape it, but only because I can't be bothered to watch it when it is broadcast. I half-watch many episodes because I want to make sure I know what's going on, but I'm not really interested. I don't like the characters, I don't like the acting, and I'm not terribly impressed with the universe it has created. I don't even like the choice of opening theme song. If you feel anything like that about Farscape, I wouldn't bother to invest in it if it costs you.

9. Holadem

Holadem Lead Actor

Well, it's not really a whole year, it's more like a couple of days [​IMG]. I do want to give it a fair chance. You can't expect every show to grab you from the get go, some works require a certain amount of investment from the viewer in order to get rewards. My concern steams from the fact that I didn't (and still don't) think that Farscape would be one of those shows, I thought it's appeal would be immediate.

B5 and Buffy grabbed me right off the bat. I had to invest a whole bloody season into Angel before it became addictive , but boy, was it worth it. I am hoping Farscape turns out to be worth it, is all.

--

10. JohnAP

JohnAP Second Unit

I say try and watch the whole of the first season. It staggers at the beginning, but the latter part of the season really picks up and the show finds itself. If you really don't want to watch all the early episodes, try skipping to volume 8 Durka Returns/ AHuman Reaction. Some of the characters do bad things in this series and at first many come off ass aggressive and selfish, except John and Pilot/Moya, but they grow, become better people, and the episodes get more entertaining and surprising.

While I enjoyed the show at the beginning, it wasn't like Buffy where I was immediately hooked from the night the pilot aired, few shows do that. Farscape grew on me and now I count it as one of my all-time favorite shows.

11. elizaVeta

elizaVeta Extra

You know, the first few episodes I was really skeptical. I thought it was off-the-wall and I've never been much of a sci-fi girl myself, besides having a bit of a liking to Star Trek when I was around eleven or twelve. I think I gradually got involved and ended up liking it. My husband loved it from the get-go which made me hang in longer. But now I'm at the end of Season Two and don't know how I could of ever doubted loving it. One of the things that put me off at first was the whole Aeryn and Dargo attitude, they both acted annoying. And I found it typical and annoying that they had to make Aeryn a hardass. But both of their characters develop so much and end up being fairly loveable. [​IMG]

12. Alex Spindler

Alex Spindler Producer

I'd echo what's said here. When the sci-fi marathon was running eight episodes a day, I was thinking of dropping out after a while. But when I caught A Human Reaction, I realized I'd sort of grown a liking to the characters. Once Nerve showed up, I was well and truly hooked. But the first two days (around 10 episodes) were hit or miss and almost better glanced over as the series finding it's stride. After Nerve, it was rare for one in four episodes to be anything short of impressive (for me, anyway).

13. Simon Massey

Simon Massey Cinematographer

Simon Massey
    The show that grabbed me first was DNA Mad Scientist, largely because a certain plot element took me by surprise. I agree with most here that Durkha Returns and A Human Reaction are where the show really starts to pick up and if you hate Scorpius when he turns up (in an episode called "Nerve") forget it!

And if you want to avoid an episode, miss "Jeremiah Crichton".

14. Burn Rourk

Burn Rourk Agent

I actually had a situation like this. My wife was uninterested in "Farscape" and gave me one night to gain her interest. I showed her the season 2 episodes leading to the stunning season finale. She sat there on the couch, actually left speechless by the cliffhanger, with no idea how Crichton could get out of that one. She pleaded for me to put in the next episode, but I told her she had to start over from the beginning, frustrating her to no end. Needless to say I got what I wanted; I made her a fan. We watched a Farscape marathon for the next few weeks, leading to the series finale (the s.4 finale; PKWars wasn't out yet) that left her crying.

15. Kevin Hewell

Kevin Hewell Cinematographer

I really want to hear the commentary on the new Starburst Edition DVDs.

16. Greg S

Greg S Supporting Actor

Stay with it, it will pay off.

I got hooked at DNA Mad Scientist as that is the point at which I knew this show would not pull any punches and I actually got into the characters a lot.

Out of their Minds is great too as its just too funny.

The other eps folks mentioned are also good but yeah you can skip Jeremiah Chrichton. I would watch it to stay with the show but overall don't focus on it (ie work on something when its on so you feel like you didn't waste your time).

One thing is for sure when Scorpius shows up the show goes to a whole new level. Season 2 is great but Season 3 REALLY hit me hard. Season 4 was good as well but has a different feel to it. Overall I just loved this show and I TOTALLY miss it.

Greg

17. Greg S

Greg S Supporting Actor

It great as they just rip the ep apart and really just tell you how bad it is and why. Very good stuff.

Also any commentary with Ben and Claudia is good to as they get along so well and it really shows!

Greg

18. Holadem

Holadem Lead Actor

Well, it did get dramatically better towards the end of the season, with Nerve and The Hidden Memory. That was one hell of a two parter. Better than the S1 finale, which was good in it's own right. But yeah, the 2 parter is it.

I do still some issues that I will get into later.

I am 2 eps into S2, I hope hope I don't have to wait till the end of the season for the show to get good again [​IMG].

At this point, I will say that I am committed to S2. But I am not enamored enough with the characters yet to sit through too many stand alone eps like Vitas Mortis (S2.2) on a regular basis, and if it does on for long, the show will go back on the backburner (I am watching it exclusively for now). So here is hoping that Creis, Scorpius or just a PK vessel shows up soon... basically, I want to get back to the doggone arc!

In any case, I am glad I stuck to it, it's starting to payoff.

--
    H

19. JohnAP

JohnAP Second Unit

So the starburst editions have new commentaries? I'd like to hear that Jeremiah Critchon commentary, but I already shelled out for the episodes once.

20. Simon Massey

Simon Massey Cinematographer

Simon Massey
    Holadem

Its a while since I've seen it but Season 2 does start off slow barring the odd great episode. Things really pick up with the "Look At The Princess" Trilogy.

And Season 3 just hits the ground running and never lets up.