Faroudja: what technology are they providing to Sony?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Brian Perry, Aug 16, 2001.

1. Brian Perry

Brian Perry Cinematographer

I happened to notice on the back of my Sony SLV-R1000 VCR and Sony CC-TR67 camcorder a sticker that proclaims "Licensed by FAROUDJA."
    Faroudja is as high-end as it gets, so I'm curious as to what Sony needed to outsource -- I assumed Sony was so large (5,000 engineers) that they did everything in-house.

2. Kevin P

Kevin P Screenwriter

My Sony MiniDV camcorder has that Faroudja sticker on it; I figured that they used a Faroudja chip to do the scaling for the digital zoom feature.
    Not sure what they'd use the technology for in a VCR, though.
    KJP

3. Mark_Wilson

Mark_Wilson Screenwriter

I've got a 4 year old Sony TR96 camcorder and according to the manual (this is from memory) Faroudja provides the technology for the 16x9 anamorphic mode that the camera can shoot it.

4. Michael Knieriemen

It might also be for the real time digital picture effects that the Sony Digital camcorders can do.

5. Phil Nichols

Phil Nichols Second Unit

Brian,
    I have a Sony SLV-R1000 SVHS VCR and am very impressed with the very stable, noise-free images I get from it on my Elite 16X9 RPTV.
    The R1000 has a digital sine filter in it, which I suspect is a Faroudja design.
    In the early 1990's Dr. Faroudja collaborated with Sony on certain consumer products. The R1000 was designed in the early 1990's and the R1000 is most likely one of the outcomes.
    The R1000 may be the only VCR to ever include Faroudja technology and it shows. I returned a new JVC9800 and went to the more expensive R1000 for it's superior image quality. Outside of studio equipment, the R1000 and the Panasonic AG1980 are about the best you can get in prosumer VCR's.