What's new

Faroudja test images (1 Viewer)

Luke_Y

Second Unit
I was just looking at the Kenwood Advertisement/Test DVD that finally came in the mail (link below) and I have a question.
There is no accompanying explanation with the Faroudja test images. If someone has the disc and is familiar with them could you tell me how those specific images are used? What do you look for in each image and such?
Link to info on mentioned disc: http://www.hometheaterforum.com/uub/Forum14/HTML/042698.html
Thanks,
------------------
Luke
[Edited last by Luke_Y on October 23, 2001 at 04:26 AM]

Mark Fontana

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Mark
Was it just me, or do those test images of outdoor scenes look super-saturated and rather unnatural compared to any well-mastered DVD?
I agree that Kenwood should have included some instructions on what to look for with the pendulum tests etc. But since all those tests are related to DCDi and deinterlacing performance, think in terms of what those features do-- i.e. do you jaggy edges on diagonals, or are they smooth?

Luke_Y

Second Unit
confused.gif

------------------
Luke

StaceyS

Stunt Coordinator
The first few tests, which include black and white burst type test, outdoor photos, and cartoon are for the cross-color suppressor. They don't really do a lot for DVD since it is a component format. However, they can be used to test comb filters in TVs and video processors if you use the composite output of your DVD player.
The swinging pendulum is for DCDi. You can turn it on and off in some faroudja products. If you have another DVD player like a Genesis based one it is easy to see.
I think this disc also has one with OK at the bottom of the screen and a rotating logo. The O is in field 1 and the K in field 2. This is a motion-adaptive test. It lets you see how the video mode deinterlacing is. (or what type.) Play this back on a non-motion-adaptive player and you will see some interesting stuff.
Flag is DCDi. You really have to play this on a Genesis based player or turn off DCDi to appreciate.
Was the Hockey player test on this disc? If so, another DCDi test. It is video footage and you can see DCDi really do its thing.
If there is anything I missed, let me know and I will tell you what it does.

Sam S

Auditioning
Stacey,
Can you tell us what the test pattern after the American flag is? Its the one with a horizontal and vertical patterns moving from upper right to lower left across the screen.
This is the only pattern my iScan pro failed. I know the lines are supposed to stay solid as they move, but they flicker on my set. The iScan pro is in "Film" mode, but I'm guessing this is just flagged incorrectly on purpose.
What do you think?

Jeff D

Supporting Actor
That test with the moving lines showed my convergence was off on the right edge of the screen. And the swinging pendulum showed haloing, made me think about felting the inside of the set...
Interesting test patterns, if they only explained what each was for. That was a major flaw, oh well, it was free and cool.

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
i didn't know what to do with the tests either, but one thing for sure - on the flag screen, it really showed some jagged edges on my setup.
eek.gif

one question: when i paused, the jagged edges seemed even more pronounced. does that indicate anything?
time for progressive dvd & hd set!
------------------
"The ship of death has a new captain." - nosferatu (1922)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks