Faroudja question

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by Kevinkall, Jan 24, 2004.

1. Kevinkall

Kevinkall Second Unit

What is Faroudja? I hear it talked about ALOT when it comes to dvd players. Thanks in advance!

2. Mike Veroukis

Mike Veroukis Second Unit

Michael
    It's the DVD decoding chip, and it also performs the all-important scaling function, which turns the typical 480i film sourced DVD into a 480p video source. The 480i means an interlaced display with 480 lines of resolution, while 480p means a progressive display with 480 lines of resolution. Film source is 24fps, while video source is 30fps. The Fardoudja chip is good at performing these two transformations.

- Mike

3. Don_Berg

Don_Berg Supporting Actor

Faroudja (now owned by Genesis Microchip) is one of the top quality makers of a de-interlacing chipset used in high quality progressive DVD players. The Faroudja de-interlacer automatically senses film (24frame/sec) vs video(60field/sec) sources and de-interlaces to 480p appropriately for each. Cheaper de-interlacers do a very poor job with video sources and the many poorly flagged DVD movies out there. So if you see a DVD player with FAroudja(DCDi) it means it has top-quality de-interlacing and is highly recommended!

4. Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben Studio Mogul