Faroudja 3:2 vs Panasonic Plasma 3:2 conversion

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by David>Scott, Sep 30, 2003.

1. David>Scott

David>Scott Auditioning

Hi all,

Had a question regarding where I should have 3:2 pulldown conversion performed.

I recently purchased the Panasonic TH-42PWD6UY Plasma display (Great Tv, I highly recommend), and am looking to buy a DVD player that will complement the TV as much as possible.

The TH-42PWD6UY plasma performs 3:2 conversion for all progressive inputs. However, the more I read about DVD players I keep reading about players such as the Denon 1600 and Panasonic X30 that use the Faroudja chip for 3:2 pulldown conversion.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but if I am to use the TV 3:2 pulldown conversion, i can buy any run of the mill progressive scan dvd player. But if I was to buy a DVD player with the Faroudja chip, i would have to turn off the TV 3:2 pulldown and use the dvd player to do the converting.

I don't know much about the Faroudja chipset, but is it worth it to have a faroudja installed DVD player do the 3:2 conversion or will the TV 3:2 conversion be adequate. I tried to look up the tech specs on how the TH-42PWD6UY plasma performs the conversion but couldn't find anything detailing the technology used.

I'm wondering which method would produce the best video and if its worth it to buy a faroudja equipped DVD player over a normal Progrssive DVD player. Is the Faroudja chip worth the extra $100-200?

Much thanks to all.

-D

2. Don_Berg

Don_Berg Supporting Actor

3:2 pulldown is only part of the story for DVDs. Many DVD titles are incorrectly flagged or have edits where the 3:2 pulldown sequence is broken up. Poorer de-interlacers will screw up with such titles either you get viewable combing or a softer image on such titles. Also for video-mode (30fps, not 24fps film) titles, 3:2 pulldown is not used and the better de-interlacers (Faroudja) have special processing like DCDi for these resulting in a sharper more detailed image. The regular de-interlacer will just throw away half the vertical resolution or filter it excessively, so a good progressive DVD player (with Faroudja chipset) will still be far superior since none of the displays (even the Panasonic plasms) have a high-end Faroudja-type de-interlacer. If you are spending thousands on a plasma, then I would say yes a couple hundred more for a good Faroujda DVD player is worth it - go for a Denon DVD-1600 for example for around $300 at Crutchfield. I myself got a used Panasonic XP30 on EBAY for $250.

3. Steve_L_B

Steve_L_B Stunt Coordinator

Don is correct. However, I now have a Denon 1600 paired with a Panny 42PW5 plasma and I can tell you that the Panny's deinterlacer and 3:2 pull down are very good. Probably not as good as the 1600's, but for film based material the difference is neglibible.

I've only been able to check a few DVDs so far (all film based), but switching the 1600 between interlaced and progressive yields a barely detectible difference on the Panny plasma. If you don't care much about video based DVDs, even a decent interlaced DVD player will look pretty good.

-Steve

4. Don_Berg

Don_Berg Supporting Actor

Thats true for most film-based DVD movies, it will be very close. But there are some improperly encoded DVD movies and the extra features on most DVDs are in video-mode, so for these types the DVD-1600 (or other Faroudja-based player) will shine.