Fargo: Season Four (FX)

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
I am shocked -- unless I totally missed it -- that there is no dedicated thread to Season Four of this fantastic show.

Watched the first two episodes that premiered this week.

Everything you love about Fargo is still here: unique, stylish storytelling and quirky characters

The only thing I am having a hard time with is Chris Rock. Just seems like the wrong person to be playing the role. It was as if he was brought on for star sake. Maybe it's just a matter of giving his character more time to resonate better with me.

Steve Armbrust

Second Unit
I loved all the seasons of Fargo, and I like this one too. I think we ought to give Chris Rock more time. I think he's doing a good job and we're just having a hard time separating him from his other characters because he still looks so much like Chris Rock.

However, what bothered me about the second episode was the historical inaccuracy of using Roger Miller's "You Can't Roller Skate in a Buffalo Herd." This wasn't just background music, where anything goes. They way they staged it, it was as if it were being performed live in this honky-tonk with Roger actually singing the song. The show is set in 1950, and the song was from the '60s. Is there some sort of metaphor or theme with this usage that I just don't get, or that went over my head? If so, I'll admit to being stupid. Otherwise, it just bothers me. If a show is set in the past, I always notice cars and product brands and music, etc. to make sure they're appropriate for the era. This was something that was really, really obvious.

Clinton McClure

Rocket Science Department
Premium
Real Name
Clint
I loved all the seasons of Fargo, and I like this one too. I think we ought to give Chris Rock more time. I think he's doing a good job and we're just having a hard time separating him from his other characters because he still looks so much like Chris Rock.

However, what bothered me about the second episode was the historical inaccuracy of using Roger Miller's "You Can't Roller Skate in a Buffalo Herd." This wasn't just background music, where anything goes. They way they staged it, it was as if it were being performed live in this honky-tonk with Roger actually singing the song. The show is set in 1950, and the song was from the '60s. Is there some sort of metaphor or theme with this usage that I just don't get, or that went over my head? If so, I'll admit to being stupid. Otherwise, it just bothers me. If a show is set in the past, I always notice cars and product brands and music, etc. to make sure they're appropriate for the era. This was something that was really, really obvious.
It might have been a careless oversight like how in the movie Kelly’s Heroes, the Hank Williams Jr song “All for the Love of Sunshine” is played over the P.A. system of a tank in 1944... a good 26 years before the song was written and recorded.

Steve Armbrust

Second Unit
It might have been a careless oversight like how in the movie Kelly’s Heroes, the Hank Williams Jr song “All for the Love of Sunshine” is played over the P.A. system of a tank in 1944... a good 26 years before the song was written and recorded.
A careless oversight, inattention to detail, or hoping we won't notice? It just bothered me.

JohnMor

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Moreland
Only watched the first ep so far, but I’m tremendously disappointed. It’s lethally lethargic and pretentious in equal measure. And it seemed like it was 8 hours long. It was GORGEOUS to look at, though. The production design, costumes and cinematography are some of the best I’ve seen in years. But, lord, that dialogue. I fear Noah Hawley has possibly fallen a little too in love with himself. Trying to decide if I’m going to watch ep 2 now or rewatch ep 1 first and see if I have a different reaction. I can’t get excited about either option right now.

ScottH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Hanson
I enjoyed both episodes a lot. That nurse is super creepy and I have no idea what she's up to. Hawley has done such a great job of capturing the essence of the original Fargo movie. I know the Coen's are producers but not sure how involved they are. Was that Timothy Olyphant at the end?

The post-date music didn't bother me as I've never heard that song before but in general stuff like that doesn't bother me if it fits and I thought it did. Out of date visuals would bother me but music not so much unless it was out of place.

Hollywoodaholic

Edge of Glory?
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
There is enough going on here to keep me interested; it's still more diverting this most shows on. The only remote connection to the original Fargo, though, besides the tone, is the accent of the 'angel of mercy' nurse.

Regarding music used out of timeframe, get used to it. The trend in many shows is to use whatever feels right for the scene, time accuracy be damned. Don't watch Lovecraft Country if this bothers you because they are using contemporary pieces as well as period pieces and everything in between for a 50s-set series.

John Lee_275604

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
John Lee
The anachronism of the Roger Miller song didn't bother me so much as the memory of Johnny Knoxville testing the hypothesis.

Hollywoodaholic

Edge of Glory?
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
who thought making each episode 90 minutes was a good idea?
If you fast forward through the commercials the show comes out to almost exactly an hour, which I believe was the intended target time. FX wants to be like the series on premium channels such as HBO, where their series are a solid hour. At least that's my take.

Clinton McClure

Premium
Real Name
Clint
If you fast forward through the commercials the show comes out to almost exactly an hour, which I believe was the intended target time. FX wants to be like the series on premium channels such as HBO, where their series are a solid hour. At least that's my take.
Yeah, each episode is designed to be one hour. That’s what they all clock in at on Hulu.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Yeah, each episode is designed to be one hour. That’s what they all clock in at on Hulu.
Do they run 59 to 60 minutes or is it more like 53 or 55 minutes? Maybe it's just me but after the first two episodes, it seems like the commercials come very frequently and are very long. With the usual 15-ish minute opening which eats up alot of the real run time of the episode, it seems like some acts are under 5 minutes. Honestly, the commercials were so frequent for this week's episode that I was wondering if the episode was around 50 minutes but in a 85 minute time slot. Even if it was, I'm not really complaining because I'm good with whatever FX needs to do to turn a profit with their shows.

Clinton McClure

Premium
Real Name
Clint
They crammed a lot into it. I read where this season was supposed to have 10 episodes and some of the middle ones ended up running too long and the writers were afraid people would get bored with them so they re-edited the episodes and extended the season to 11 episodes, keeping the runtime for all of them at about an hour.

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ab1979