What's new

Fargo Season 3 Discussion Thread (renamed) (1 Viewer)

Tommy R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tommy
I liked the ending a lot when I first viewed it, ambiguous or not, but after several days I like it even more, because I've become convinced that no one was coming for Varga. Maybe it's my attempt at being optimistic, but after reading several opinions and articles/interviews, I've come to the conclusion that, at least in reality, Varga was slowly loosing his manipulative touch, shaken by the ambush he walked into and nearly got killed in (he had to shed his coat like a snake to escape), then he slips up somehow and gets himself picked up at an airport. His convo with Gloria, again just in reality, makes him sound a bit like a crazy person. David Thewis said in an interview about his bulimia, and that while in and of itself doesn't suggest a lack of control, him sitting on the toilet bingeing on that carton of Rocky Road certainly is at a point where he's in need of comfort due to his circumstances not going the way he planned. And the final talk between Gloria and Varga mirrors the Stasi officer interrogating poor Jakob Ungerleider, except now the world is changed and the "authority" figure is in the right. And however much awfulness goes on in the Fargo universe, the good guys get their win.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Just catching up on this thread as I have been traveling....

Yeah, that poor guy did nothing and ended up dead.

Yeah, when he 'disappeared' into a silhouette, I took it to mean that he would be released. Right or wrong is meaningless and connections and money rule the world.

She had to kill the Trooper. Emmit told the Trooper she had a gun. He would have investigated, found the gun and arrested her. Her only option was to kill the Trooper if she wanted to remain on the run and alive.

I realize I am beating a dead horse here, but I think this article does a decent job of summing up the major theme of season three and provides an answer as to why the ending is not definitive.

https://www.bustle.com/p/what-does-...g-mean-the-truth-is-what-you-make-of-it-64938

- Walter.

That is an excellent article and I think it explains so much about the ending and its possibilities.

I have no doubt Vargas is lying. Nobody is coming for him. He has done nothing but manipulate and lie time and time again. Telling Emmit that there was a fingerprint scanner on the gun was another huge lie of his that created a distraction. Same thing here with Gloria.

I don't mind the ambiguous ending either. It falls in line with many of the quirks within Fargo.

I also agree this was the best of the three seasons. So well acted and executed.

albert_m2

Second Unit
Real Name
Albert
I have absolutely no problem with the ambiguous ending. I feel like it worked. I do feel like Emmit getting killed 5 years later was unnecessary and forced.

Also, they spent a lot of time in an early episode on the sci fi book and for what? Yeah, it was mentioned again later, but didn't seem worth it.

Overall, good things, but falls well below the first 2 seasons for me.

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
I'll probably give it a longer look, but I guess these days I'm more geared towards crime than fantasy, though Twin Peaks blends them together nicely.

Ellz

Auditioning
Real Name
Ronald
Yeah, talk about late to the party...

I just started watching the show. Binged season one and two. Super hooked.

Anyway, came here to see if anyone mentioned the sci-fi movie image on Ennis's TV before the break-in/murder. I'm pretty sure there was a picture from "The Castle" episode in season 2 of the light from the UFO shining on Lou and Bear in their death struggle.

Hope I'm not too late.

joshEH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh
The Wrap has got a new synopsis for the upcoming Season 4:

In 1950, at the end of two great American migrations — that of Southern Europeans from countries like Italy, who came to the US at the turn of the last century and settled in northern cities like New York, Chicago — and African Americans who left the south in great numbers to escape Jim Crow and moved to those same cities — you saw a collision of outsiders, all fighting for a piece of the American dream. In Kansas City, Missouri, two criminal syndicates have struck an uneasy peace. One Italian, one African American. Together they control an alternate economy — that of exploitation, graft and drugs. This too is the history of America. To cement their peace, the heads of both families have traded their youngest sons.

Chris Rock plays the head of one family, a man who — in order to prosper — has surrendered his youngest boy to his enemy, and who must in turn raise his enemy’s son as his own. It’s an uneasy peace, but profitable. And then the head of the Kansas City mafia goes into the hospital for routine surgery and dies. And everything changes. It’s a story of immigration and assimilation, and the things we do for money. And as always, a story of basically decent people who are probably in over their heads. You know, Fargo.

https://www.thewrap.com/fargo-seaso...ason-schwartzman-ben-whishaw-join-chris-rock/

And twelve more confirmed cast-members:

JACK HUSTON as “Odis Weff”
JASON SCHWARTZMAN as “Josto Fadda”
BEN WHISHAW as “Rabbi Milligan”
JESSIE BUCKLEY as “Oraetta Mayflower”
SALVATORE ESPOSITO as “Gaetano Fadda”
ANDREW BIRD as “Thurman Smutney”
JEREMIE HARRIS as “Leon Bittle”
GAETANO BRUNO as “Constant Calamita”
ANJI WHITE as “Dibrell Smutney”
FRANCESCO ACQUAROLI as “Ebal Violante”
E’MYRI CRUTCHFIELD as “Ethelrida Pearl Smutney”
AMBER MIDTHUNDER (recurring) as “Swanee Capps”
Besides the amazingness of Chris Rock toplining a new Fargo season, Huston, Schwartzman, and Whishaw are a big flex. Grabbing Jessie Buckley right as she's about to have A Moment™ is pretty smart too.

Every name on this show belongs in a Stephen King novel. The name “Thurman Smutney” should win some type of award just all on its own.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread