What's new

Fargo Season 3 Discussion Thread (renamed) (1 Viewer)

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Excellent episode. Really like the sidetracked story. Very well done. "I Can Help!'

I want one of those hand switch boxes. Can't find it anywhere online.

Hollywoodaholic

Edge of Glory?
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
Excellent episode. Really like the sidetracked story. Very well done. "I Can Help!'

I want one of those hand switch boxes. Can't find it anywhere online.

It reminded me of that electric piggy bank box some of us had when the Adams Family was airing where "Thing" (a disembodied hand), appears from under a lifting lid when you put a penny in the slot and and snatches it away.

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
Brad Pitt in World War Z was older than Wilford Brimley in Cocoon.

I saw a movie from the '50s where the actor said he was 24. I looked it up and he was. He looked like he was in his forties. I guess it's advancements in soaps and shampoos that make us look younger. I'm four years younger than Arch was when AITF started, and I look like a dang kid.

Still, I never would have guessed that about Brimley. Takes a little of the surprise out of him still being alive now that he was only in his fifties then. :)

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member
A few thoughts regarding Wednesday's excellent episode.

Really enjoyed seeing Ray Wise. He was excellent in his brief moments in episode three. Both of his scenes served to underscore or reinforce elements at work in episode three. His observation on the plane about 'swimming, crawling, walking, running and now this' ties into Minsky's long journey through cycles of development and destruction. Later at the bar he describes a situation very much like Schrodinger's Cat (with the dual married divorced status of the woman whose soldier is abroad) that is echoed somewhat by the older Zimmerman's ruminations on quantum fluctuations.

The android's name is clearly an homage to Artificial Intelligence pioneer Marvin Minsky. The animation segments reminded me of Fantastic Planet (from 1973). At least in terms of style and eccentric content.

I'm sure that Ray Wise being present may have had an effect, but I really got a strong David Lynch vibe from this episode; in particular the lighting and set design of room 203. The brown tones and brilliant white lamps really felt like the aesthetic of scenes from Blue Velvet and Lost Highway.

- Walter.

Josh Dial

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Dial
The android's name is clearly an homage to Artificial Intelligence pioneer Marvin Minsky. The animation segments reminded me of Fantastic Planet (from 1973). At least in terms of style and eccentric content.

It was also similar to the animated sequence from Noah Hawley's Legion series earlier this year.

SamT

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
I saw a movie from the '50s where the actor said he was 24. I looked it up and he was. He looked like he was in his forties. I guess it's advancements in soaps and shampoos that make us look younger. I'm four years younger than Arch was when AITF started, and I look like a dang kid.

I recently re-watched one of my childhood movies, The Wild Geese (1978). They recruit some old guys from retirement to do a military operation. They all looked old to me then, they ask their age in the movie and some said 40, 42 which was shocking to me. It's a little younger than me and no way I want to believe I'm the same age or I look like them! :D

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
Gotta love Sy the man-child. Gets Ray fired and waits outside to point. He points even better than he flips the bird. I hope he can figure out who the HR girl is so she can tell him who drives his Hummer.

Ray ate the family dog! Cannibal!

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
I hope Varga dies a horrible death. For those who watch the next on, please don't reveal the ultimate fate of Nikki if it was revealed. I mean, it seems she's you know, but I couldn't be sure.

Tommy R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tommy
I die a little inside whenever Varga appears on screen, and when he opens his mouth and speaks, my soul it taken into the murky depths of hell.

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member
Wednesday's episode kinda put me off of pastrami sandwiches. :)

Maybe I'm reading too much into this, but we had a scene in which the lovely Miss Winstead displays her body for Ray (and the viewers) and later we see some of the damage inflicted by Varga's associates. (The sounds accompanying that scene were pretty visceral, BTW.) Did showing us her unblemished body reinforce the later scene. Maybe. (?)

I've been really impressed with the music selections this season. The various classical pieces have wonderfully underscored the narrative at times. I particularly enjoyed the piano movement when Sy met Miss Goldfarb (nice to see Laura Roslin again). (According to Google: Beethoven's Piano Sonata No 23 in F Minor, Op 57) From that same scene, loved the decor of the Bear's Den restaurant featured in that meeting.

The show continues to excel through the halfway point of season three.

- Walter.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.