What's new

Fare thee well Nighthawk, we hardly knew ye (1 Viewer)

Philip Hamm

Senior HTF Member
I thought this thread was going to be about the Honda Nighthawk motorcycle! I never knew that the F117 was named "Nighthawk".

Joseph DeMartino

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joseph DeMartino

I don't know. It was a proof of concept and helped work the bugs out for succeeding generations of low-visibility aircraft, and it proved invaluable in the first Gulf War. Hard to put a price tag on all the aircraft and air crew we didn't lose because the Nighthawks flew so many sorties without the loss of a single plane, softened up (or totally elimnated) the air defenses for more conventional planes coming behind them and pretty much wiped out the opposing airforce. (Scaring what it didn't destroy into internment and inaction in a neighboring country.) Not bad, all things considered, and the B-2, F-22 Raptor and other planes owe a lot to the Nighthawk.

Regards,

Joe

Chuck Mayer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chuck Mayer
I recognize that it was a proof of concept. I also know a B-2 is half the cost of a nuclear powered attack submarine, which has a much longer loiter time, much greater weapon capacity, a broader sensor suite, and lasts a lot longer. And it actually can't be found :)

And trust me...the Pentagon can absolutely put a price tag on aircrews :) They do it all the time.

I was expecting more years out of the 117. That's not a long lifespan for that kind of dough. That's my point.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks