What's new

FAR FROM THE MADDING CROWD Warner or StudioCanal? (1 Viewer)

FAR FROM THE MADDING CROWD Warner Archive or StudioCanal Blu-ray?

• Warner Archive

Votes: 3 33.3%
  • StudioCanal

Votes: 6 66.7%

• Total voters

Hal Masonberg

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Hal Masonberg
I've only been able to find one online comparison between these two very different releases (DVDBeaver). While the Warner sports a DD 5.1 mix and the StudioCanal 2.0 mono, the StudioCanal version was restored in 4K off the original camera negative and overseen by DP Nicolas Roeg. I know the StudioCanal version does not contain the 20 second cock fight sequence and the Warners does include it. Not a make-or-break deal for me either way. I'm interested in the absolute best image quality. And the most accurate.

Is there anyone out there who actually knows this film well enough to make an informed comparison? In my research, I have found people praising both releases and also condemning both releases. This is a favorite film, but I'm really not interested in owning 2 different versions. I lean toward the StudioCanal because it's off the original negative, but I do like the idea of a 5.1 mix since it was in 6-track on all 70mm theatrical blowups.

Can anyone shed some light on this?

lark144

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
mark gross
FAR FROM THE MADDING CROWD is one of my favorite films as well. I saw the film opening day in NYC; I think it was at the Capitol. I own both Blu Rays. While visually the Warner Archive is a lot better & closer to the way it looked in a theater than many posters on the board here claim--still the Studio Canal gets my vote for the visuals. While the first reel or so of the Warner Archive Blu is a little washed out; it's quite good after that; almost on an equal footing with the Studio Canal. Yes, visually the Studio Canal is better, but, in my opinion, not so much better that it renders the Warner Archive unwatchable.

I originally bought the Warner Archive version, then got the Studio Canal but kept the Warner Archive for the overture, which I love and which is not on the Studio Canal Blu-Ray, as well as for the 5.1 track. So for me, I need both discs. In terms of a recommendation, it depends what you're looking for. If it's the score, you should get the Warner Archive. If it's only the cinematography, get the Studio Canal. Hope this helps.

Paul Rossen

Screenwriter
I too saw the film at the Loew's Capitol(what a beautiful theater)in NYC. I own the WB version and based upon Dvdbeaver's comparison I'm confident to say that that is how I recall the visuals of the film. That said I find the score almost unlistenable on the WB disc. It sounds harsh and tinny to my ears. It also sounds mono
as there doesn't seem to be any separation. Unfortunately, I do not have any recollections of the sound at the Capitol screening.

GlennF

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Glenn Frost
I agree with Paul, above. I have the WB blu and I find the music and sound kind of weak and hear little, if any, separation in the music. In the theatre, the storm sequence was incredibly dramatic - doesn't come across that way at all now.
I also find the colour too vivid on the Warner Brothers blu. My memory of seeing it in the cinema is that there was a slightly more washed out/softer look to it - but then the memory can play tricks and of course the colour is much more vivid on a 40 inch plasma rather than on a large theatre screen. However, I have not seen the Studio Canal version - I am stuck in Region A world.

haineshisway

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bruce
There's a thread about this - search function works very well here. Here's what I wrote about it in that thread:

I, of course, got the US Blu-ray from Warners the day it came out. I saw the film five or six times in its 70mm blow up here in Los Angeles at the Wilshire Theater. I loved the movie, the score, the actors - everything, but especially Nicholas Roeg's amazing photography. No home video release has come within a country mile of even hinting at that amazing photography. The Warner Blu, while not exactly terrible, just wasn't very good - nothing was sharp enough, color was a little boosted and the contrast was a little harsh - and it was obvious it was not from any original element, but some kind of IP or whatever.

So, I was looking forward to viewing the UK Blu-ray and it arrived today and I can safely say that it is an incredible transfer, one of the best I've ever seen. Everything looks as it should - detail is superb (lots of soft focus and diffusion on Ms. Christie), and the color is astoundingly perfect. And the sound, which is tinny and ugly on the Warners, is here full-bodied and stunning, making Richard Rodney Bennett's score really sound gorgeous - but the entire mix is much more present and wonderful. This is highly recommended by the likes of me. Finally this lovely film gets the treatment it so deserves - a 4K transfer off the original negative. Much love has gone into this. Yes, it's missing about a minute of violent cock-fighting footage, which is fine by me. Some guy on another forum refuses to purchase it because of those cuts as he doesn't care about the leap in quality only that minute of footage. No overture here either, and I'm fine with that, too, as I can't even listen to the overture on the Warners disc because the sound is so wretchedly awful.

Tom St Jones

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Thomas
If one loves the film enough, but can't make up their mind between the StudioCanal for the 4k transfer and the Warner for overture and deleted scene, then why not (provided you have a multi-region player) just get both discs and be done with it? You can put 'em together in the same case/digipack to create a your own "ultimate edition".

Ray H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
I saw this thread a few weeks ago and learned of the existence of the UK release. I admit I'd never seen the film before, though I had long wanted to. I already owned the Warner Archive release but decided to order the the StudioCanal version from Amazon UK and it came in last week. I watched the SC release over the weekend and was pleased with it, though I admit it was somewhat underwhelming considering it's supposedly from a recent 4K scan. I popped in the US disc and it's far too bright and contrasty and looks like it received some light filtering. The UK release better preserves the film's grain structure and looks much more natural and film-like. Ultimately, I'd go with the UK StudioCanal release.

Still, there are some differences that make the Warner release worth having for fans of the film. It has a wider aspect ratio and includes an Overture and the original MGM logo. And the cock fight is not cut here, which I admit was somewhat jarringly edited in the UK version. Still, I don't think a few seconds of cocks fighting is all that important to the film, though others have the right to disagree.

As for the film, I thought it was quite good and holds up rather well. I'd also recommend the 2015 remake to anyone interested in this story.

usrunnr

Writer
Real Name
usrunnr
There's a thread about this - search function works very well here. Here's what I wrote about it in that thread:

I, of course, got the US Blu-ray from Warners the day it came out. I saw the film five or six times in its 70mm blow up here in Los Angeles at the Wilshire Theater. I loved the movie, the score, the actors - everything, but especially Nicholas Roeg's amazing photography. No home video release has come within a country mile of even hinting at that amazing photography. The Warner Blu, while not exactly terrible, just wasn't very good - nothing was sharp enough, color was a little boosted and the contrast was a little harsh - and it was obvious it was not from any original element, but some kind of IP or whatever.

So, I was looking forward to viewing the UK Blu-ray and it arrived today and I can safely say that it is an incredible transfer, one of the best I've ever seen. Everything looks as it should - detail is superb (lots of soft focus and diffusion on Ms. Christie), and the color is astoundingly perfect. And the sound, which is tinny and ugly on the Warners, is here full-bodied and stunning, making Richard Rodney Bennett's score really sound gorgeous - but the entire mix is much more present and wonderful. This is highly recommended by the likes of me. Finally this lovely film gets the treatment it so deserves - a 4K transfer off the original negative. Much love has gone into this. Yes, it's missing about a minute of violent cock-fighting footage, which is fine by me. Some guy on another forum refuses to purchase it because of those cuts as he doesn't care about the leap in quality only that minute of footage. No overture here either, and I'm fine with that, too, as I can't even listen to the overture on the Warners disc because the sound is so wretchedly awful.
I could do without the violent cock-fighting footage as well. On the Warner's cover it makes a big deal out of that "3 minutes" being present. Looks real to me. Shameful actually to film something like that. Unnecessary.

PaulRossen

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Paul Rossen
The minute or two of the missing cock fight is no big deal. Also, though I enjoy the missing Overture there is no comparison between the two versions on blu ray. When I want to watch this film I pull out the Studio Canal version as I am now all region…

usrunnr

Writer
Real Name
usrunnr
Poor Bathsheba -- took nearly a lifetime to work through the 3 men who loved her. The countryside and way of life is very interesting, hard lives, class system, Julie Christie, always lovely though. Anyone seen "Away From Her" with Christie?

bujaki

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jose Ortiz-Marrero
Poor Bathsheba -- took nearly a lifetime to work through the 3 men who loved her. The countryside and way of life is very interesting, hard lives, class system, Julie Christie, always lovely though. Anyone seen "Away From Her" with Christie?
A master class in acting!

Malcolm Bmoor

Second Unit
Real Name
Malcolm Blackmoor
This being a revived discussion I'll point out that the Studio Canal version that I have is dated 2015 and I've never been impressed. With all respect to hainshisway writing in 2017 I've been disappointed by the disc's pale alternative to green grass, and of course the mono sound.

It's emerged in recent years, and came as news to me, that some 70mm presentations did have mono sound spread across the six tracks and I too was undoubtedly fooled during the 70mm era. It seems that some enterprising budget conscious producers generously gave us six tracks but with the same sound on each of them. I have no idea whether this film was one of those or genuine.

At the time of the film's original release I was taken by pleasant surprise at the now lost Odeon Marble Arch when going to see a small screen B&W film the D150 screen opened up with the FAR FROM ... 70mm trailer. It was magnificent, as was the entire film the following week.

Douglas R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
This being a revived discussion I'll point out that the Studio Canal version that I have is dated 2015 and I've never been impressed. With all respect to hainshisway writing in 2017 I've been disappointed by the disc's pale alternative to green grass, and of course the mono sound.

It's emerged in recent years, and came as news to me, that some 70mm presentations did have mono sound spread across the six tracks and I too was undoubtedly fooled during the 70mm era. It seems that some enterprising budget conscious producers generously gave us six tracks but with the same sound on each of them. I have no idea whether this film was one of those or genuine.

At the time of the film's original release I was taken by pleasant surprise at the now lost Odeon Marble Arch when going to see a small screen B&W film the D150 screen opened up with the FAR FROM ... 70mm trailer. It was magnificent, as was the entire film the following week.
I saw the film on first release in 70mm with overture and intermission and it looked magnificent. I admit I don't recall what the sound was like but I've seen no evidence that it was ever in stereo - even though one does tend to assume that 70mm equates to including a stereo soundtrack.

haineshisway

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bruce
Hawaii, another 70mm film, had mono sound. I'm not sure what I'm remembering here, but I did get a replacement disc for the Studio Canal release, so maybe there was some issue?

PaulRossen

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Paul Rossen
Another Roadshow film that had 70mm blowups and mono sound- Nicholas and Alexandra. I also saw The Lion in Winter Roadshow in mono sound. Don’t know if it was 70mm blow up or not.

Saw Hawaii as a preview 3-4 months prior to its Roadshow engagements in mono sound.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks