Far From The Madding Crowd (R2) - wrong aspect ratio

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Bruce Morrison, Sep 12, 2004.

1. Bruce Morrison

Bruce Morrison Supporting Actor

Just a warning to intending purchasers that the R2 UK release of Schlesinger's 'Far From The Madding Crowd' is to be avoided. The opening credits are shown in the correct 2.35 ratio, but the rest of the film is then in a compromised 1.85 ratio. My copy has gone straight back to the retailer for a refund.

Why Warners would want to do this is beyond understanding, but it's just another example of the contempt that some of the major studios have for DVD users in the UK. I guess we'll just have to wait for this film to be given a proper DVD treatment in R1, whenever that might be.

2. Gordon McMurphy

Gordon McMurphy Producer

You have got to be fucking JOKING! No WAY!!!

Ugh. [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

3. Douglas R

Douglas R Cinematographer

Doug
    I got this today and it really is an appalling DVD, although I don't blame Warners because they are simply distributing it on behalf of Canal-Plus - the real culprits. Apart from being in the wrong ratio as Bruce says, it does not contain the original Overture or Intermission, the picture quality is mediocre at best and the soundtrack is mono. I saw this film when it was originally released in 70mm and 6 track stereo sound and it looked and sounded magnificent. This DVD is a travesty and is not worth buying.

4. ArthurMy

ArthurMy Supporting Actor

What a shame. It's such a beautifully filmed movie. But, yes, don't blame Warners. It's surprising, though, given the good track record of Canal, whose transfers are usually impressive.

5. Ken Koc

Ken Koc Screenwriter

I just received my copy of "Far from the Madding Crowd". It is an unmitigated disater!!!!!!!!!!! The wrong aspect ratio is a travesty!!!! Just a beautifully photographed film completely ruined!!!!!
    I hope I can get a refund from Sendit.com.

6. Bruce Morrison

Bruce Morrison Supporting Actor

Ken, I've already sent mine back to Sendit.com for a refund. They have a policy of taking anything back, so I think you'll be OK, especially since the aspect ratio is incorrectly stated to be 2.35 on the box. (Just remember to get a Returns reference number via their site first.)

7. Stephen Lister

Stephen Lister Auditioning

I bought this from Play.com and was horrified when I saw it. It appears to be identical to the TV broadcast version (OAR during credits, cropped after that). Play.com gave me a refund with no qualms. I wouldn't be surprised if they have to deal with quite a few returns on this one.

I think this is the most severe disappointment I've ever experienced with a DVD. The stupid 4:3 R2 EL CID which appeared a few years back ranks a close second.[​IMG]

8. Ken Koc

Ken Koc Screenwriter

I hope that somehow justice is done to this beautiful film and it will be released in its original 70mm 6 track stereo glory. I hope Warners is reading this!