"Far and Away" - How's the quality?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Nathan*W, Mar 4, 2003.

1. Nathan*W

Nathan*W Screenwriter

Nathan
    Far and Away the 1992 hit from Ron Howard starring Tom Cruise and Nicole Kidman, I did a search but came up empty handed. Is this DVD any good? (qualitywise)

2. Andy_MT

Andy_MT Second Unit

http://www.dvd-basen.dk/uk/home.php3...land=%25&ok=go

... although i'd take anything dvd reviewers say with a pinch of salt ...

personally i thought it was resonably good. quite film like, although i remember something strange about it. some foregrounds looked quite soft while backgrounds looked quite detailed. it's usually the other way around. can't remember the sound, sorry. either way, not bad for a 98/99 release. one of universals better releases during this period. (to be taken with pinch of salt).

but no extras. well, except for scene selections. so you're set then.

you might want to check other regions out before-hand (using the above link).

hope that helps [​IMG]

3. Nathan*W

Nathan*W Screenwriter

Nathan
    Thanks, I'll check those reviews out.

4. Paul E. Fox II

Paul E. Fox II Second Unit

I just bought this DVD a few weeks ago and it seems fine to me. It is kind of a bare-bones disc, like most of the early DVD releases.

One of the things I found was that I've apparently watched some sort of Director's Cut prior to owning this DVD as there were a few subtle changes with things I remember seeing not being on the DVD.

I would recommend buying this DVD if you can find it cheap, but that may be the problem.

5. Lyle_JP

Lyle_JP Screenwriter

I found the 5.1 mix to be poor and a huge step down from the PCM Stereo track on the laserdisc. The bass on the 5.1 track is anemic, particularly in the land-race scene. It even loses some of the directionality in the dialog. This is especially noticeable when Tom Cruise dumps Nicole Kidman into the bathtub. On the laserdisc (and the DVD's French 2.0 track) you can hear them only in the right speaker when they're off screen, then the dialog "pans" to the center as they enter the frame. The 5.1 track anchors all the sound in the center channel. [​IMG]

Also, there's tons of additional footage out there not included, some of which made it to the two-night network premiere of the film.

-Lyle J.P.