Far and Away: how is the DVD?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by JeremySt, Dec 11, 2002.

1. JeremySt

JeremySt Screenwriter

Jeremy
    I saw this movie in the theaters, but dont remember it much. I was considering picking it up. How is the transfer/sound? WSR gave it 5/5 on pic and sound, but that was a few years ago. Is it anamorphic? thanks

2. doug zdanivsky

doug zdanivsky Supporting Actor

doug zdanivsky
    I thought it was pretty good. Excellent sound, extended scenes, bright colors.. A little grainy at times, but would be a nice addition to any collection.

3. GlennH

GlennH Cinematographer

Glenn
    Maybe not quite up to the latest top quality catalog releases, but it's a very nice 2.35:1 anamorphic transfer. If you like the movie don't hesitate to get it. Here is a review:
    http://www.dvdfile.com/software/revi...farandaway.htm
    That review praises the video but also says there is a bad sync problem on audio. I wonder if that was a specific DVD player issue, because I honestly don't remember any audio sync problem when I watched it several months ago.

4. Elyse

Elyse Auditioning

I'm very happy with the dvd. The picture is quite nice, not reference or anything but OAR and anamorphic and the best I've ever seen it. The audio is Dolby Digital 5.1, although the surrounds mainly are used for the soundtrack (which is great).

I also read about the audio synch issues, which worried me, but neither I nor my friend could see them while we were watching the movie. It may be DVD player specific (I have a Toshiba 1700).

I picked up the movie for a very low price, so I was willing to take the risk. YMMV.

5. Haden

Haden Supporting Actor

I wish they'd re-release this as a special edition with the longer cut of the film. There's a version that's 30 minutes-1 hour longer, according to imdb.com.

6. Joe Caps

Joe Caps Screenwriter

I like this film very much and saw it several times in the theater. saw it opening nightin the Cinearama dome. The film was held up and we were all waiting for something. Imagine my surprise when Ron Howard, Tom Cruise, and Nicole Kidman showed up and sat in the seats right behind me!!
    I've had the laserdisc for a long time. Its pretty good - hoping the DVD was but it has a problem - thepicture is transferred too fat, as if everyone has gained twenty pounds. thisis a definite transfer error. I also have a tape off of one of the networks where the film was shown in two parts with an extra forty minutes added - all of the "new" scenes were pretty good - wish they would do a special edition of this film

7. GlennH

GlennH Cinematographer

Glenn
    Given the current state of affairs I would guess that any hope for a joint Cruise/Kidman audio commentary on a SE are pretty slim.

8. Mike_Richardson

Mike_Richardson Supporting Actor

The TV version on USA network (that ran on ABC) has about 45 mins. worth of extra footage... some good scenes, some not, but very interesting if you like the movie (you can tell it's the extended version if it runs in 2 parts over 4 hrs)
    The DVD has no extended scenes on it, but it's passable if you like the movie like I do [​IMG]