What's new

Fantasy Jazz SACDs (1 Viewer)

Mike Broadman

Senior HTF Member
I just wanted to remind everyone that the Fantasy jazz label has released 10 sweet SACDs.

I'm pretty sure they're all hybrids, but I don't think they're multi-channel.

VINCE GUARALDI TRIO A Charlie Brown Christmas

Yes, it's that famous Charlie Brown tune which I can play each part on the piano, but not both together. This trio is the real deal who happened to get famous with this Charlie Brown stuff.
I used to have the CD, lost it somehow, and this is a great opportunity to have it again.

VG also has an SACD on Analogue Productions of his album based on the music from the film Black Orpheus, which I like more.

GIL EVANS & TEN

Gil Evans was a famous, reknowned band landleader and orchestrator who achieved even greater fame by pairing up with Miles Davis on Birth of the Cool, Sketches of Spain and other projects. This is an album of his own music leading an 11 piece group. I've never heard Gil's own music before, should be interesting.

JOHN COLTRANE Lush Life

Considered the best of 'Trane's early work, he gives some old standards a nice workout. I have the DCC Gold disc which will probably be up for sale now (PM me if interested).

BILL EVANS TRIO Portrait in Jazz

Ah, the one Evans album I have that isn't SACD now is. Sweet.

WES MONTGOMERY Incredible Jazz Guitar

Greatest jazz guitar album ever? Maybe. Phenomenal stuff.

ZOOT SIMS & THE GERSHWIN BROTHERS

I only have one Sims album with him and Al Cohn. The tone is sweet, the swing nice.

THELONIOUS MONK with JOHN COLTRANE

Either a momentous pairing or a dissappointing collaboration, depending on who you ask. If you think of it as another Monk album, then it's damn good.

ALBERT KING with STEVIE RAY VAUGHAN In Session

I don't remember the recording quality to be so good anyway, so I'm curious to see what they did with this for SACD.

CCR- some live album

Too lazy to look up what it's called. I'm lovin' CCR on SACD from AP (enough acronyms for ya?), so we'll see how this one turns out.

Red Trumpet is offering all of these for $169.99 with free shipping (saves you just under $20). I read about the deal on another forum but didn't see it on their web site, so I called and got them to give it to me. I should get them next week.

Lee Scoggins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lee
Considered the best of 'Trane's early work, he gives some old standards a nice workout.
I agree that this is one of the better Coltrane albums. Must purchase for me.

I am thinking about the Wes Montgomery as well. I am only limited by money when it comes to APO issues, as they do such a good job with album selection and sonics.

I was not aware of the Red Trumpet deal and that is tempting...thanks Mike for sharing on this. :)

Mike Broadman

Senior HTF Member
The Montgomery title is actually the one I was looking forward to the most, even though I listen to Monk and 'Trane more.

Now they need to release Full House on SACD.

Mike Broadman

Senior HTF Member
I'm sure it's cool, but with so much other stuff, it'll have to be a low priority.

I pretty much blew my high-res spending for the month (and next, probably) on the Fantasy order. I was going to clean up the Concord catalogue, but oh well.

So this week (hopefully today) I should be getting 9 Dylan SACDs from Red Trumpet and next week 10 jazz titles from them.

If any Red Trumpet employees are reading this and are now sending their kids to college: YOUR WELCOME!

Ron Reda

Senior HTF Member
Oops...I should have checked the other "search result" threads before posting! My bad.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks