What's new

Fantasy Island - First Season (1 Viewer)

Jeff Willis

Senior HTF Member
"Chalk up 1 response" :)

I've only viewed 4 eps in this set (I have many TV/DVD sets "in progress"). There are 2 Extras but I haven't viewed them yet:

1) Featurette: "Creating the Fantasy"
2) " "Spending the Day at Fantasy Island"

Xfrs: Strange about this set, the 1st pilot ep, "Fantasy Island" (1977) is crystal-clear and top-notch but the 2nd pilot "Return to Fantasy Island" is poor. I don't know if Sony didn't have access to, or if the original print/elements are no longer in existance, but I'd grade the 2nd pilot xfr as at C- or D+ . It's watchable but a big difference between the 1st pilot quality. The other 2 series eps that I've viewed are B+ to A- , comparable to other TV/DVD sets of the same time period.

As for a real Fantasy Island, how's this? Travel to an island where you can order ANY TV/DVD complete series, or individual season's set (complete/uncut, of course) from the studio and leave the island the next day with your purchase
htf_images_smilies_dance.gif
And, that's why it's a fantasy :laugh:

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
I'm hoping the same; I just bought Season 1 this week.. of course, it came to mind, and was a good deal. But I'd love to see other seasons on DVD also.. here's keeping my fingers crossed.

Scamp

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jason
Yep, I'm definitely hoping we see Sony continue this series. I devoured the first season and its bonus features and am eagerly awaiting to see the rest released.

Sometimes I wish studios would just release complete series sets from the get-go so we wouldn't have to wait and worry if we'll see the entire show released or not. If it sells well, then they can go back and release the seasons individually for those that wish to break up the cost or only own certain seasons.

younger1968

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
paul young
i love fantasy island and have the first season on dvd and hoped that we would see more of this released. However, i believe it is stall series now, especially with the track record of Sony. It would be nice is Sony would just outource and/or sign a deal with shout factory to produce shows for them. It may be also something the moderator of this site could do around schedule webinar with Sony around the future plans.

bretmaverick2

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Tom Hunter
I remember watching and liking Fantasy Island a lot more than I liked Love Boat growing up.

I further remember that the first pilot film for FI seemed to be a lot darker in tone than the series turned out to be. But I still liked the show.

I think the darker, edgier style was a reason that I really enjoyed the FI revival a few years ago. Now THAT is a DVD set I would pick up....

The Obsolete Man

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Originally Posted by bretmaverick2

I remember watching and liking Fantasy Island a lot more than I liked Love Boat growing up.

I further remember that the first pilot film for FI seemed to be a lot darker in tone than the series turned out to be. But I still liked the show.

I think the darker, edgier style was a reason that I really enjoyed the FI revival a few years ago. Now THAT is a DVD set I would pick up....
Same here. The '98 Malcolm McDowell Fantasy Island is the one I'd like to see before anything else. That was a show that didn't get a fair enough shake, IMO. IIRC, it was stuck on Saturday night, which was the worst place for it. The audience that the '98 FI was going for probably wouldn't have been home from 8-10 on a Saturday.

younger1968

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
paul young
I think i read some where that S1 of Fantasy Island had poor sales. So, i am hoping that maybe too the discussions to re-start again around pushing for S2 season released.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks