What's new

Fantasy Football 2004 Discussion and Advice (1 Viewer)

BryanZ

Screenwriter

McCardell is a holdout for more money. Likely he will not play this season. Even if he does it may not be until week 10. Put in Jimmy Smith in his stead. Perhaps even trade McCardell for a lesser known receiver. Right now he is worth nothing more than occupying a roster spot, much like a player on IR.

Frank Grimes

Second Unit
I can't get into the room. I've been trying for 15 minutes and it says I'm not in the league, and I can't edit my rankings now.

Brad Porter

Screenwriter
The rest of this season's fantasy disappointments for me will come from these two leagues (an 8-teamer and a 12-teamer (HTF II):

The 8-Teamer (1 QB, 2 RB, 3 WR, 1 TE, 1 K, 1 D, 6 bench)

QB: Trent Green, Marc Bulger
RB: Ahman Green, Domanick Davis, Duce Staley, Kevin Jones
WR: Torry Holt, Chad Johnson, Charles Rogers, Santana Moss, Deion Branch, Anquan Boldin (just in case he gets back in October)
TE: Antonio Gates
K: Adam Vinatieri
D: Indianapolis

My only comments are that I love the kind of powerhouse teams you can get in an eight team league - it's frankly too easy. And when you're the last person to draft a D, it really doesn't matter who you take.

The 12-teamer (same roster settings as above)

QB: Peyton Manning, Jake Plummer
RB: Fred Taylor, Chris Brown, Michael Bennett, Julius Jones
WR: Darrell Jackson, Jerry Porter, Brandon Lloyd, Rod Gardner, Ashley Lelie, Robert Ferguson
TE: Dallas Clark
K: John Carney
D: Dallas

That leaves me with Taylor, Bennett, Jackson, Lelie, Ferguson, the Cowboys, Branch, and Gates in multiple leagues. Taylor, Jackson, Gates, and the Boys are the only once I'll be leaning on as every week starters - so my hopes for championship contention are a bit clouded right now.

Brad

Philip_T

Supporting Actor
Well, my money league draft is tonight and come to find out, their pt system is based purely on scoring. No yardage, attempts, completion, etc., just TD's. Not sure where I'm slotted to draft yet, but it could have an impact on my RB drafting strategy. If Im after #4 or #5, Im gonna have to look hard at the the top QB or WR. I hate to pick one that quick, but Moss & Culpepper where the 4th and 5th highest scorest last year according to their scoring system.

Philip_T

Supporting Actor
Well, for getting the 6th pick, I can't complain. CP was the last of my stud RB's and he fell right in my lap, otherwise, it was receiver city. Plus, getting Culpepper in the 2nd rnd was a bonus. Heres my picks in their order.
1) C. Portis (RB-WSH)
2) D. Culpepper (QB-MIN) *almost suprised he was still here.
3) T. Jones (RB-CHI) *maybe a little early, but RB were going quick at this time.
4) D. Staley (RB-PIT)
5) C. Rogers (WR-DET)
6) New England (DEF)
7) P. Burress (WR-PIT)
8) D. Stallworth (WR-NO)
9) C. Garner (RB-TB)
10) A. Gates (TE-SD)
11) J. Garcia (QB-CLE)
12) D. Hall(WR-KC)
13) Tennessee (DEF)
14) J. Feely (K-ATL)
15) De. Clark (TE-CHI)
16) D. Brien (K-NYJ)

Well, I'll be the 1st to admit Im a little light on WR, but otherwise, Im pretty satisfied. Plus, I hate how streaky WR's can be, and this is a scoring league only, no pts for yardage.

Chris

Senior HTF Member
SIRIUS runs their NFL hit list every morning, and there are moments, especially for Fantasy wrap up, that I'm glad I listen.

I think McGahee (BUF) may see more runs then you'd think, because in the last week Henry has had a dislocated knee, which as he told them today, still bothers him "some" if he's bothered by it, or is mentally thinking about it, he's not going to be as effective.

There is rumor in the water that McCardell may go to Chicago in a trade for Anthony Thomas.. we'll have to wait and see.

:)

Philip_T

Supporting Actor
Who to start? I need advice on who to start for my 2nd RB spot this week.
D. Staley vs. OAK
T. Jones vs. DET
C. Garner @ WAS
I was leaning towards T. Jones, but both OAK and WAS had pretty bad defenses against the rush last year.

Chris

Senior HTF Member
Brady will face a crappy defense.
Green will face a decent offense.
Green is in an offense that does fling the short pass around, though.

Billy B likes to play it safe with his pats.. play to win (and it works) so I don't see Brady racking up tons of yards. I think KC's defense is also not hot, which means that the Chiefs may have to wing the ball around a good deal to score a good number of points to win.

I'd probably pick Green, but it's close. It's not a bad deal when you've got that kind of choice, I think either way you're going to be OK :)

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield

I would go with Garner, but only because I think that TJones is being way overrated this year. However, if Jones is ever going to have a big week, it will be this one vs. a weak Detroit run defense.

Frank Grimes

Second Unit
Jones is overrated, but I still think he needs to get the play this week against Det.

How about this one in my money league: Henry vs. Jacksonville or Griffin vs. KC?

I'm a big fan of Henry, I've had him the past two years and he always outperforms his draft position (23rd this year), but Jacksonville is beastly on defense. Last year Henry put up 3TD's on them, but only 23 yards, so if he doesn't get many goaline opportunities, it could be nasty. Griffin is unproven, but playing behind a perennialy great O line and against the miserable KC Def. I'm leaning towards Griff.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
That's a tough one, Frank. As you said, Griffin is an unknown, but he's playing a poor defense. He may be worth a gamble. FYI, I have Henry in my starting lineup, but my replacement choices are Deion Branch or Reggie Wayne -- I'm not ready to bench my #2 RB for one of these receivers this early in the season because of a bad matchup.

My lineup this week:

QB: Brady vs. Indy
RB: Alexander @ NO, Henry vs. Jax, Garner @ Wash
WR: CJohnson @ NYJ, RSmith vs. KC
TE: LJSmith vs. NYG

bench options: RWayne @ NE, DBranch vs. Indy, TGlenn @ Minn, RFerguson @ Car

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Also, I'm trying to work a trade with an owner who's in love with Reggie Wayne (he's drafted him every year). My offer was Wayne and Fargas (he has Wheatley) for Koren Robinson. He's seriously considering the trade. Hopefully he will not come to his senses. :)

Philip_T

Supporting Actor

Tough call, but I would lean that way as well.

You guys are probably right about T. Jones being over-rated, but I think I have to try him against the DET def. I'm actively trying to trade him in the meantime while he's still relatively highly ranked.

Now Im torn on my recievers. I hate choosing rosters for the 1st week, hard to get a good read on anyone so early. My receivers:
C. Rogers vs CHI (starting)
D. Hall vs DEN (Hall kills us)
D. Stallworth vs SEA (haven't heard about their D)
P. Burress vs OAK (was kinda leaning this way)

BTW, this is a scoring league only so Im trying to figure out which receivers have the best chances of getting in the end-zone.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Philip,

For your receivers, I would rank them, in order, Rogers, Stallworth, Burress, Hall. I think Donte's due for a breakout season if he can stay healthy. Burress needs to show that last year's bad season will not be repeated.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Also, in case anyone hasn't heard yet, the rumor that Clinton Portis was hurt and would miss 8-12 weeks was an Internet hoax, so don't waste your time picking up Ladell Betts. CBS Sportline was snookered by the false report (nice fact checking, guys). One of our rookie owners was so excited when he grabbed Betts off the waiver wire, since his only starting RB this week is William Green. :laugh:

Chris

Senior HTF Member
Yes, but as a note as to where it started.. NFL Radio (SIRIUS) pointed out that Portis has been suffering "stomach problems" this week, and made some hey of it.. (probably nothing that Pepto Bismal and a day won't cure) but it kind of grew and grew and grew into something else ;)

Jack Fanning

Second Unit
Real Name
Jack Fanning
Opinions....Who should I start this weekend at QB?

Chad Pennington @ home vs the Bengals?

or

Trent Green @ Denver?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation449
Recent bookmarks