What's new

Fantasy Football 2004 Discussion and Advice (1 Viewer)

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield

If Moss, Harrison or Holt were available at my #2 pick, I would jump on them. However, I anticipate that all three will be gone by pick #21. I have the next group of receivers tiered very closely -- Owens, Ward, Chad Johnson, Derrick Mason, Santana Moss and Joe Horn. I can easily live with any of them as my #1 WR, and most of them will be available at #3.28. Hence, my desire to get the best available RB at #2.21, since there are a lot fewer quality RB's than WR's available.

Shane Martin

Senior HTF Member
I drafted twice last week. Both were strange...

Here is how I did:

Work League:
QB: Jake Delhomme, Mark Brunell
RB: Rudi Johnson, Chris Brown, Charlie Garner, Tyrone Wheatley
WR: Torry Holt, Joe Horn, Terry Glenn, Brandon Lloyd
K: Adam Vinatieri
D: Jets

Drafted 13 out of 14 there :thumbsdown:

Other league: (Won it all last year):

QB: Tom Brady, Marc Bulger
RB: S Alexander, Rudi Johnson, Kevin Barlow, Duce Staley
TE: Jason Whitten
WR: D Stallworth, R Moss, P Burress, J Porter, M Muhommed
K: Vanderjagt
D: Philly and Seattle. I took Philly's D because they were there and nobody was left. Plus I tend to take away a highly ranked backup to deny others a decent starting player.

Drafted 7 out of 10 here.

Overall 2 different leagues all together. Payton Manning went #1 on my first league. My 2nd draft is much more typical for a FF league(I think).

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Shane,

I like your 2nd team much better, so I'm not sure why you have the frown face there. You have more depth at WR in the 1st league, but you do have Moss in the 2nd. Your starting QB is better in Brady than Delhomme, and your RB situation is better overall.

Taking Manning #1 overall is insane.

Philip_T

Supporting Actor
Very nice stable of RB's you have there in your 2nd league Shane. In fact, the whole team looks fairly impressive. The 1st league, however, well lets just say its not as impressive. :D

Shane Martin

Senior HTF Member
The first league went odd and I took what I could get. Defenses starting going in the 4th round. The frown face for the 2nd league was a typo.

I do like my 2nd league but I want to be competitive with the first. I don't think that is possible but who knows.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
We mostly finished our 12-team money league draft this evening (still have three rounds to complete tomorrow), but here's my team:

QB: Brady, Leftwich, Gannon, Kerry Collins
RB: Alexander, Henry, Garner, Fargas, Pittman, Maurice Morris
WR: Chad Johnson, Rod Smith, Deion Branch, RWayne, TGlenn
TE: ?
K: Nedney

Moss, Harrison and Holt were all gone by my 2nd pick (Henry). I passed on TO and Marshall Faulk.

I'm happy with my running backs, but wish I had better depth at receiver behind Chad Johnson. I debated Andre Johnson over Rod Smith, but went with the veteran. in a tough decision.

When we finish up tomorrow, I'll end up with either Erron Kinney, Dallas Clark, L.J. Smith or Jasen Whitten at TE, and still will pick one more receiver (either Calico or Reggie Williams are available).

Dave George

Stunt Coordinator
Drafted last night. Just my second year of fantasy football, and I don't really know wht I'm doing My league seems to be set up differently than most, as I start 2 QBs, 2 RBs, 3WRs, TE, K, DEF, as well as a flex RB/WR and WR/TE. Starters in bold. What do you guys think?

RB:Ahman Green, Jamal Lewis, Dominick Davis, Warrick Dunn

QB:Aaron Brooks, Jake Delhomme, Carson Palmer

WR:Darrell Jackson, Peerless Price, Keenan McCardell, Ashlie Lelie, Jimmy Smith, Drew Bennett

TE:Tony Gonzales, Marcus Pollard

Def:Miami

K:Ryan Longwell

9 teams, I picked 5th

Brad Porter

Screenwriter
Here's the final results of my money league draft:

QB: Pennington, Garcia
RB: Deuce McAllister, Fred Taylor, Michael Bennett, Justin Fargas, Richie Anderson
WR: Joe Horn, Darrell Jackson, Reggie Wayne, Deion Branch, Ashley Lelie, Quincy Morgan, Nate Burleson, Robert Ferguson
TE: Antonio Gates
K: Matt Stover
D: Cowboys

It's a 10 team league, with 1 QB, 1 RB, 2 WR, 2 RB/WR, 1 TE, 1 K, 1D, and 18 total roster spots. We get one pt. per reception, hence the last round pickup of Richie Anderson.

I immediately felt dumb after announcing Horn's name when it dawned on me that I already had Deuce, but the damage was done. When Bennett returns I think I'll have one of the strongest RB corps in the league (probably second to the guy who got Holmes, DDavis, SDavis, & CBrown - and more or less even with the guy who got CPortis, JLewis, THenry, and QGriffin.

There was some wacky QB drafting going on. We only start one, but one of our guys drafted Culpepper, Favre, and Bulger in the first seven rounds. It wasn't obviously clear that he was hoarding trade bait, but that is his only reasonable move at this point.

To the point of the thread, here's my first start/bench decision. Deuce and Fred are in - Bennett is out. That leaves me looking at a third wide receiver - Wayne against the Pats or Branch against the Colts? I'm leaning to Wayne because the Pats spread it around too much.

Brad

Chris

Senior HTF Member
God, I may be high (I draft later tonight, 12th in my draft) I am figuring who will be gone, but at that point, I'm seriously thinking about an RB who isn't getting big name run.. Lee Suggs (CLE). I have him 9 on my RB board, and I figure he will probably slip down to me.

Now, am I high to rank him up there? That's what I'm asking myself.

The top will all be gone (LT, Holmes, Green, etc.) so I'm looking for a second tier, under the radar RB that I think will produce. But right now, I'm thinking my choice is going to be between Rudi Johnson and Lee Suggs. I'm just debating it out right now :)

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Chris, that's way too early to take Lee Suggs. He went as the 3rd pick in the 5th round of our draft. You can wait and get him much later -- easily in the 3rd round. Rudi Johnson went at #10 and Fred Taylor at #12 in our draft. Either would be a better choice than Suggs. RBs taken in the 2nd round included DDavis, Barlow, Dillon, Westbrook, Henry (me), Thomas Jones and Faulk. Kevin Jones went in the early 3rd round to one of the Lions slappies in our league (I would have taken Chris Brown instead if looking for a breakout rookie RB).

Brad, I like the receivers on your team. If Bennett's injury lingers (which has happened with him in the past), you'll only have two RBs you can count on, though. Pennington's a solid fantasy QB.

Dave George, nice first effort. Keep in mind, though, that Keenan McCardell is still not in camp at Tampa and may hold out all year. He shouldn't be one of your starters. I cannot believe that Ahman Green fell to you at the 5th spot -- he's been going no later than 3rd in most drafts (including ours).

Chris

Senior HTF Member
Suggs has just climbed my chart because of the way I think Cleaveland has to play. Chris Brown ranks high on my list too.

*laugh* in a league where we value yardage heavily, Rudi Johnson seems to me like a possible great pickup at #12 if I can grab him, but I'm thinking he's off the board.

I think Thomas Jones and Westbrook are disasters for the season, so I don't even have them in my top 20, although I know some will scream heresy. I look at their new styles of play, especially in Philadelphia with TO, and just see production falling.

I think Tiki Barber and Marshall Faulk are -way- low on my pick board because I think the OL's on those teams will cause more runs to be stuffed then any serious yardage gains.

And Kevin Barlow? I don't know why he keeps rising in the drafts I'm in. I just look at that team and see him picking up some yards, but not enough to justify him being picked in the first two rounds (IMHO).

So, I'm at #12, and I'm thinking (our league is 14 deep, so I'll get 3rd pick next round, of course) I may have a shot at Rudi Johnson, but since our system backs running far more then receptions, etc. I need someone that I think can chalk up the run. And I look at my lists and I go this way in RB:

1. Priest Holmes - KC
2. LaDainian Tomlinson - SD
3. Clinton Portis - Was
4. Deuce McAllister - NO
5. Ahman Green - GB
6. Shaun Alexander - Sea
7. Edgerrin James - Ind
8. Jamal Lewis - Bal
9. Fred Taylor - Jax
10. Rudi Johnson - CIN
11. Lee Suggs - CLE
12. Thomas Jones - Chi
13. Brian Westbrook - Phi
14. Travis Henry - Buf
15. Chris Brown - Ten
16. Michael Bennett - Min
17. Marshall Faulk - StL
18. Tiki Barber - NYG
19. Curtis Martin - NYJ
20. Dominick Davis - HOU (I'm expecting injury problems, although he was a good pickup for me in the 6th round last year)

Mark Pfeiffer

Screenwriter
Here's how my team turned out, picking first out of sixteen teams and using the usual snake draft.

QB: Brett Favre, Tim Rattay, Eli Manning
RB: Priest Holmes, Tatum Bell, James Jackson, Mewelde Moore
WR: Chad Johnson, Rod Smith, David Givens, Bryant Johnson
TE: Billy Miller
K: John Carney
Def: Baltimore

Holmes aside, I'm weak at RB unless Bell ends up becoming a starter in Denver or if Jackson gets traded to a team that needs one. I tried to take the best player on the board, at least when it was discernible, because I figured I'd get more out of a stud WR than a marginal RB. (I took Chad Johnson over Travis Minor or Emmitt Smith, who I could have taken because RBs are so highly valued.)

Week 5 is going to kill me with Holmes and C. Johnson on bye that week, but overall I feel pretty good about my team. My top three picks and defense should help me out substantially. Either Rattay needs to last until Favre's bye week or Manning needs to be starting by then. The run on backup QBs caught me unaware--which will happen with 30 picks between yours.

FWIW, I'd favor Rudi Johnson over Lee Suggs, but then I'm a Bengals fan too.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Chris, you have Dominick Davis rated way too low. Considering that every RB is an injury risk, I wouldn't downgrade him any more than the other guys on your list. You may like Suggs, but why waste a 1st round pick on him when you can get him much later. If you do not like any of the RBs in that spot, take the top WR -- I'm sure that either Harrison or Holt will be available there.

Taking CJohnson over Smith or Minor is a no-brainer. Neither of those guys are worth much, and will only start on very poor fantasy teams. Meanwhile, Johnson is rated anywhere from the #4 to #7 WR in fantasy football pre-rankings. Sixteen team leagues make it tough to get decent depth.

Brad Porter

Screenwriter

After grinding through three hours to draft for 10 teams yesterday, I can't imagine how painful a sixteen team draft would be. You are thin at RB behind Holmes, but he's as good as two RBs all by himself. My only suggestion would be to look at some of the fullbacks like Richie Anderson, Mike Alstott or Zack Crockett. They won't bring big stats, but they'll probably be more consistent producers than Bell, Jackson, or Moore at this point.

Brad

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield

We can do the same thing. In fact, last season I was loaded with RBs and weak at WR, so I started 4 RBs many weeks (AGreen, Edge, DDavis and AThomas) and almost finished first. This season I can forsee starting 3 RBs and 2 WRs many weeks -- and maybe 4 RBs if Wheatley can't hold up in Oakland.

Peter Loan

Second Unit
I took part in my very first FF draft yesterday and picked first in a 10 team league. Here's the format of my league (Also have 3 defensive players):

1 QB
3 WR
2 RB
1 TE
2 WR/RB
1 K
1 DEF

My team:

QB - Peyton
WR - L Coles, D Jackson, C Chambers
RB - Holmes, Dillon
TE - Shockey
RB/WR - T Barber, R Wayne
K - R Longwell
D - Jacksonville

Bench - (QB)Bulger, (WR)D Bennett, (RB)D Foster, (WR)R Ferguson, (RB)C Taylor, (TE)D Graham

I think my receivers might be a little weak. Maybe Peyton and Holmes can win it for me?

Chris

Senior HTF Member
Ok, we had a ten team draft, I drafted 9. Here's how it went:

Sixteen round draft. The top is in the order of the draft # picked

9 RB Johnson, Rudi CIN
12 RB Davis, Stephen CAR
29 QB Green, Trent KC
32 TE Gonzalez, Tony KC
49 -TRADE-
52 WR Galloway, Joey TB
69 WR Rogers, Charles DET
72 RB Duckett, T.J. ATL
B. Leftwich Jax
T. Duckett ATL
W. McGahee BUF
R. Dayne NYG
A. Boldin ARI
R. McMichael MIA
A. Vinatieri NE
Philly Def PHI
Dolphins Def MIA
J. McCareins NYJ

Chris

Senior HTF Member
Suggs went 21 in our draft. Too high for me I wasn't willing to let a #12 pick go for that when I had Stephen Davis on the board and pretty much knew I could get him in a trade. Just changed my mind :) S. Davis wasn't even in my list, but he made for good bait later..

I figured to pick him at #29. I don't know what happened to McCariens. I have a feeling he'll click this year with Pennington, but apparently others didn't think so; I need to check the injury wire. Right now I have a trade option out for Suggs, we'll see. I'm somewhat dissapointed with my defence; Philly will do me well, but I valued KC above theirs.. yes, there defense sucks in the real game, but thanks to Dante, they were very good to me fantasy wise last year ;)

A few notable foul ups about our draft.. we used FanBall.Com, as I like the ability to customize, but:

* Still listed Morten Anderson (KC) for (K) instead of Tynes, so in round 15, someone selected Ricky Williams after letting everyone know the pick represented Tynes on mutual agreement of the league.

* As is always, our top RBs went right in order (Holmes, LT, etc.)

In the 20s, we had a run of QB, starting out with Culpepper, leaving me last to grab green. However, looking at the board, I think more then a few made mistakes to make the picks they did, we'll have to see.

In the late rounds, I figured take some chances; so I took Boldin, on the hope that his projections are right and he'll be ready to play at game 5/6. I did trade a pick (Michael Vick) straight up, with incentives, and got Lee Suggs, so I'm happy. I think Vick is going to be terrible this year in the west coast offense.

Doug R

Supporting Actor
Here are some of my teams, first an auction league (and their final prices), just my starters.

Salary Cap = $200

QB - Manning $40, Palmer $5
RB - Holmes $36 (Keeper), Rudi Johnson $24
WR - Steve Smith $28, Joe Horn $16, L Coles $11
TE - Jim Kleinsasser $1
K - John Hall $1
Def - Tampa Bay $1

Notable Backups:

Rattay $1, Chris Brown $10, McCareins $3, Lloyd $2, Jon Kitna (Palmer insurance) $1

Here's my other money league, traditional draft:

QB - Favre, Green (Brad Johnson backup)
RB - McCallister, D Davis (Bennett, Martin, Moe Williams backup)
WR - Steve Smith, Issac Bruce, Jerry Porter (McCareins, Lloyd, Terrell, Ferguson among backups)
TE - Heap (forgot who is the backup heh)
K - Wilkens
Def - Baltimore (Dallas backup)

Both are just 8 team leagues. Everyone's team is fairly even with their own strengths and weaknesses.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks