Fantastically Ignorant Question About Speaker Wire

Discussion in 'Speakers & Subwoofers' started by BarryR, Mar 10, 2005.

1. BarryR

BarryR Supporting Actor

BARRY RIVADUE
    I'm embarrassed to ask such a basic question, but I plead total ignorance. Upon recommendation, I'm upgrading my speaker wire to Monster XP Compact. The original, very thin wire I'm replacing is color coded for positive and negative connections. With the Monster wire it's all one color (actually clear colored; two wires initially grouped together). How does this now serve the positive/negative connections in the back of the speaker? Do I just split those initially joined lengths and connect them in the back of the speaker even without any equivalent of color coding? Sorry to be so blissfully clueless!

:b

2. James Phung

James Phung Second Unit

It doesn't matter if its color coded or not. Just make sure the same end that is connected to positive on the receiver is also connected to positive on the speaker for the other end and vice verse. Speaker wire usually have some sort of way to distinguish one side from the other, if its not color coded, usually there is some marking that is on one of the sides.

You can save yourself some money by buying 14awg or 12awg speaker cables from Home Depot and Radio Shack that will work just as well as the Monster.

3. BarryR

BarryR Supporting Actor

BARRY RIVADUE
    Great--thanks for the tip.

4. Ted Lee

Ted Lee Lead Actor

in the case of monster cable, it's usually the writing -- which is on one side of the wire only.

other wires often have a "ridge" or some sort of "texture" on one side of the wire...

5. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    Yep, XP has writing on one wire, and nothing on the other. As long as you are consistent about which is which for all of your speakers, you will be fine.

I use the XP-HT for my surrounds because it's white, paintable, and it's very flexible.