What's new

Fantastic Voyage/Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea - 10/8 (U.S.) (1 Viewer)

lukejosephchung

Screenwriter
Real Name
Luke J. Chung
Johnny Angell said:
I think I was initially wowed by the effects, but in subsequent viewings I've found the effects to be...quaint.
It may be "quaint" compared with today's state-of-the-art CGI opticals, but given the technology of the '60s, "Fantastic Voyage" & "Voyage To The Bottom Of The Sea" were considered cutting edge...it's all about context, my friend!!! :biggrin:

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
vnh7lPF.jpg

lukejosephchung

Screenwriter
Real Name
Luke J. Chung
Persianimmortal said:
Great news, and I too would have loved Andromeda Strain as a companion release to this film. 2013 is shaping up much better than expected!
"Andromeda Strain" is a Universal production...we may be in for a long wait for this unless they license it out to someone like Shout Factory...

Persianimmortal

Screenwriter
Real Name
Koroush Ghazi
Damn, for some reason I assumed it was a Fox movie, I should have checked before commenting. Oh well, Fantastic Voyage on blu is good enough for now.

As for Shout factory, without wanting to cause offense to anyone, I really would much rather they steer clear of any movie I want because they region lock to Region A, and I also have very little faith in the quality of their releases. Universal hasn't been doing too badly of late, I'll hold out in the hope that they decide to give Andromeda Strain a release of their own.

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
"Andromeda Strain" is a Universal production...we may be in for a long wait for this unless they license it out to someone like Shout Factory...
And that title was on the "unofficial list" of coming releases for last year that was posted all over the net, almost all the rest of which did turn up. This one, sadly, was a no-show. What a gorgeous Blu it would make.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Fantastic Voyage now available for Preorder

The link below will take you directly to the product on Amazon. If you are using an adblocker you will not see link.

Last edited by a moderator:

cb1

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Chris
Nice! another favorite from the old New York City area "430 movie" era.

Alan Tully

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
Great stuff! There must have been some changes at 20th Century Fox since they licensed out Journey To The Centre Of The Earth, which is good news. I hope The Lost World 1960 is also on its way, not a very good film but I like it.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Thank you, Luke, and everyone who orders through
our links.

I will be ordering this as well. Have never seen this film.

Charles Smith

Extremely Talented Member
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Charles Smith
Never saw it in a theater, but I remember catching it at drive-ins with my family on at least a couple of double features. Will certainly be ordering both of these.

lukejosephchung

Screenwriter
Real Name
Luke J. Chung
You're in for a treat, Ron...this 1961 film was the basis for the classic ABC-TV series starring Richard Basehart & David Hedison...the original charactors of Adm. Nelson & Capt. Crane were played in the movie by Walter Pidgeon & Robert Sterling and they had a great supporting cast that included Peter Lorre, Barbara Eden & the late Michael Ansara, who passed away last week at the age of 91...

FrancisP

Screenwriter
The effects for Voyage hold up very well for me. Because they were primarily mechanical, they look much better especially when compared to CGI generated effects which look cartoonish. I marvel at the imagination that went into special effects before computers.

Intersting notes. Irwin Allen pretty much recycled everything. In addition to the effects footage, a loose adaptation of the movie was created for a second season episode, "The Sky's On Fire". Also Allen's first choice for Capt Crane was David Hedison. Hedison had a very bad experience with Allen on "The Lost World" and wanted nothing to do with Allen. When Allen was casting for the serieas, again he approached Hedison and Hedison resisted until literally the last minute.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks