Fantastic Planet dvd question

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Grady Reid, Jul 15, 2005.

1. Grady Reid

Grady Reid Stunt Coordinator

Aug 26, 2002
    I remember watching this on Night Flight back in the 80's. Thinking about picking this up from amazon or ebay. Can anyone comment on the quality of the dvd. Anamorphic? Language tracks? Subtitles? How are the extras? Thanks!
  2. Hans M.

Hans M. Stunt Coordinator

Dec 5, 2003

It’s letterbox in 1.66:1 format, not anamorphic (it is an older DVD from 1999).

The audio is available in English or French (unfortunately the English subtitles are not removable). It’s presented in serviceable mono and works fine for the mood of the piece (I love the early ‘70s soundtrack—reminds me of The Man Who Fell To Earth a bit).

The extras are interesting and include three shorts that are not really too short. The audio is in French only with English subtitles. They include:
    Monkey’s Teeth (1960)
    Dead Times (1964)
    The Snails (1965)

There are also some lengthy talent bios included and of course a nice chapter insert with quality full color reproduction of the art work on both sides.

I think it’s available for rather cheap and well-worth the price, if you really wanted to be transported to another world: The Fantastic Planet.
  3. Gordon McMurphy

Gordon McMurphy Producer

Aug 3, 2002

Order it NOW; I have a feeling that it is slowly going out of print, as many etailers no longer stock it and only have it in their Used and New Marketplace.

Buy it NOW; it's an amazing film. Excellent transfer and extras. DVD Pacific are an excellent etailer; very fast and at $9.14 and in stock you can't go wrong. Buy NOW!