What's new

Fantastic news for Steve McQueen fans! (1 Viewer)

Jim_K

Senior HTF Member

I'd also rank it right up with The Wild Bunch & it (RTHC) does seem to be a much overlooked Western.

I would have preferred The Getaway in a Peckinpah Box if it gets released in a few months as it would probably save me a few bucks that way. If the Box has been delayed then I won't complain as I'd rather have The Getaway sooner rather than later.

I'm debating on this McQueen set. Aside from The Getaway & Papillion which are must haves for me, I'm a little iffy on The Cincinnati Kid & Bullitt and I've never seen Never So Few & Tom Horn.

Any opinions on the later two films? I could just go to IMDB but what would be the fun of that? ;)

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert

Jim,
If you think "The Cincinnati Kid" and "Bullitt" are iffy then I don't know if you would like "Never So Few" which was almost a Rat Pack film in the Burmise jungle during WWII. The part McQueen played in the film was originally slated for Sammy Davis Jr. However, Sinatra and Davis had a brief falling out just before filming began and Davis was replaced by McQueen which gave McQueen a boost to his career. At that time, McQueen was still in the television series "Wanted Dead or Alive". So it's definitely a buddy film, but it's not for everybody. As far as "Tom Horn", I like films about real individuals so I probably like the film more than others. I thought he gave a good performance, but it's kind of a downer.

Crawdaddy

John Hodson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
The sight of McQueen already physically struggling with his illness in Tom Horn just depresses the hell out of me. I must try an watch it again without thinking of those awful, awful newspaper pictures of him following his death, but it's tough.

ArthurMy

Supporting Actor
Ride the High Country is also my favorite Peckinpah, and one of my all-time favorite films ever. I'm checking with an acquaintance on the West Coast who knows all about the Peckinpah box - my understanding was that The Getaway will indeed be in both box sets, but I'll double check and report back.

ArthurMy

Supporting Actor
That is the plan as of now - that the Peckinpah box will include The Getaway. Things, of course, could and might change. But, for now, yes.

Real Name
Anthony
No, John - this is what I was talking about, from the thread on THE WILD BUNCH :

" Peckinpah expert Nick Redman is preparing a multi-box DVD set of Peckinpah films to be released later this year. One of the highlights for film music fans will be the DVD of THE GETAWAY, which is expected to feature the film's rejected Jerry Fielding score isolated on a separate audio track, spotted exactly as Fielding intended. The supplementary material will include one sequence from the film with Fielding's music mixed back in, and a documentary on Fielding's collaboration with Peckinpah and the rejection of the Getaway score, featuring interviews with Fielding's wife and daughter "

So this means one of three things . . .

a) this whole idea has fallen through
b) the specs above are incomplete or
c) that there will be two different editions of THE GETAWAY, perhaps a one-disc in the McQueen set and a two-disc in the Peckinpah set !

Jim_K

Senior HTF Member
Thanks for the reply Robert. :)

Just to clarify what I meant with "iffy" in regards to The Cincinnati Kid and Bullitt is that it's been so long since I've seen them I just don't remember much about either except for the car chase in Bullitt.

Here's hoping for the b) scenario.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield

The Cincinnati Kid is one of those films that always forces me to stop and watch if I run across it on TCM. I love the ensemble cast -- McQueen, Edward G. Robinson, Ann-Margret, Karl Malden, Tuesday Weld, Joan Blondell, etc. I'm looking forward to this film most out of the movies in this McQueen set.

Jay E

Senior HTF Member
Speaking of Peckinpah, he was replaced as director on The Cincinnati Kid.

Also saw this over at IMDB:

Director Sam Peckinpah insisted on shooting a nude scene for this film featuring one of the female extras. He claimed that this scene would only be included in the European release of the movie. Producer Martin Ransohoff eventually fired Peckinpah after it was discovered that Peckinpah intended using the nude scene in the US print as well.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
An interesting tidbit about "The Cincinnatti Kid", the original director was Peckinpah, but he was fired and replaced by Jewison. A great film and that line of dialogue spoken by Edward G. Robinson near the end of the film is pure classic.

Crawdaddy

John Hodson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Peckinpah was also going to shoot it in black and white; I'd love to have seen his take on it. The work he did with McQueen in Junior Bonner was fantastic.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks