What's new

Fantastic Four (1 Viewer)

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
I wonder if this would be after his commitment to direct a Star Trek film for Paramount or if he has been released from that contract.
Paramount seems to have fumbled that one yet again. Star Trek 4 was to have filmed late this year, but all of the primary cast are on record saying they’ve heard nothing, and Karl Urban said he’s busy with The Boys until the end of the year.

No way Shakman can do both, unless he wraps Star Trek quickly and goes direct into FF, leaving time for ST press/reshoots during FF’s production.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
They’re aiming for a December 2023 release which is certainly still possible - Star Trek Beyond filmed less than a year before release and is arguably the best (and certainly the most fun) of that series of films.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
Karl Urban said he’s busy with The Boys until the end of the year.
Zoe Saldana will also almost certainly be involved with the press tour for Avatar near the end of the year.

My guess is Star Trek wasn't moving forward quickly enough, so Shakman decided to move on. Marvel isn't going to have trouble getting this off the ground, so he'll be making this movie sooner rather than later.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
I wonder if this would be after his commitment to direct a Star Trek film for Paramount or if he has been released from that contract.
The latter. Paramount has confirmed to The Hollywood Reporter that Shakman has left Star Trek due to scheduling issues.

The Hollywood Reporter said:
“Matt Shakman is an incredibly talented filmmaker, and we regret the timing didn’t align for him to direct our upcoming Star Trek film,” Paramount Pictures said in a statement. “We are grateful for his many contributions, are excited about the creative vision of this next chapter and look forward to bringing it to audiences all around world.”

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
My guess is Star Trek wasn't moving forward quickly enough, so Shakman decided to move on. Marvel isn't going to have trouble getting this off the ground, so he'll be making this movie sooner rather than later.
It's also the difference between launching an iconic franchise that is a top priority for the most successful shingle in Hollywood at the moment, or making the fourth movie in a reboot franchise that a long-struggling studio has only showed lukewarm support toward.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
It's also the difference between launching an iconic franchise that is a top priority for the most successful shingle in Hollywood at the moment, or making the fourth movie in a reboot franchise that a long-struggling studio has only showed lukewarm support toward.

I just wish Paramount would start signing people to better contracts - they’ve announced multiple directors and let them go, and that’s a poor way to launch a project. Now I get the opposite, you don’t want to force people to work on projects they’re not interested in, but I think it’s also a mistake to simply allow them to walk when another offer comes through. They should never have announced Tarantino was directing a film for them without actually having signed him to do so.

I don’t think there was anything in WandaVision that made me think “Shakman is a guy I’m keeping an eye on for appointment viewing” and I’m a fan of both the MCU and the Star Trek franchises so this doesn’t really rock my boat in any appreciable way but as a layman with no experience at being able to tell my boss to go shove it because I’m working elsewhere, all of this strikes me as absurd. Us mortals don’t get to choose work like this :)

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
I just wish Paramount would start signing people to better contracts - they’ve announced multiple directors and let them go, and that’s a poor way to launch a project. Now I get the opposite, you don’t want to force people to work on projects they’re not interested in, but I think it’s also a mistake to simply allow them to walk when another offer comes through.
I don't think it's that simple. I think Shakman was interested in this movie. If that were not the case, he wouldn't have signed onto it at all. But as evidenced by the number of personnel who have come and gone from this project, it doesn't seem to be in a state where it is ready to go before cameras. Paramount announced the December 2023 date without notifying the cast first, and some of them are doing other things. Paramount still don't seem have an actual start date for it. Why should Shakman or any director wait around for Paramount to maybe make a movie at some point when he has a concrete offer from Marvel for a movie that will be shooting next year? He wants to work.

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
I hope not C3PO... or (gulp) Jar Jar... ;):laugh::laugh::laugh:

Ok, I couldn't help myself there... but I was definitely a fan of the FF comics (as if I didn't already mention that), especially during John Byrne's run in the 80's...

Frankly, I can't think of any SW actor offhand I'd want to play Reed Richards...

_Man_

jayembee

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jerry
Why not? It narrows the field...a bit.

On the other hand, I've seen far too many instances of click-bait of "a star of such-and-such-a-movie-or-TV-show says or does something outrageous, or maybe even suddenly died of unknown causes" where the "star" in question was someone in a bit part that you've never heard of.

So saying "a Star Wars actor" could suggest Ewan MacGregor or Adam Driver or Oscar Isaac. Or it could mean "random stormtrooper" (which could suggest Daniel Craig ;) ).

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation554
Recent bookmarks