What's new

Fantastic Four: Rise of the Silver Surfer (2007) (1 Viewer)

JoSAN

Second Unit
Real Name
Home Theater Forum
A couple of new interviews with Michael Chiklis...

Regarding his relationship with Alicia Masters, he states that: "There's a little bit more of the continuation of that. But in the following one, in the third one, there's really quite a substantial thing coming between them."

Read more here: http://movies.ign.com/articles/758/758258p1.html

In another interview he talks about how the new Thing suit is healthier for him to wear, being that he can take it off between each take. Of the movie he also says that it "adheres to the point where any hardcore FOUR fan is going to be satisfied and SILVER SURFER fans are going to be psyched out of their minds."

More here: http://www.ifmagazine.com/feature.asp?article=1866

JoSAN

Second Unit
Real Name
Home Theater Forum
Two pieces of bad news for this movie (for me anyway):

1) Lawrence Fishburne has been signed to provide the voice of the Silver Surfer. I think he is a terribly wooden actor, and his voice-over as the narrator of the TMNT movie was a mumbled monotone. He is totally unsuitable for the part of the Silver Surfer.

2) Galactus will be represented in the movie as a "storm cloud", according to AICN.

I've been a big supporter of the first movie and I've been hopeful for the second, but news like this is not good in my books.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
I can't say that I think it's the best idea but I can see why they did that- it's nearly impossible to visualize Galactus for a movie. If he looks like he does in the comics, he'd be a giant guy with a pointy purple hat and it would get laughed off the screen. Galactus as a giant works in comics but I think it would be a tough thing to sell on screen.

John Doran

Screenwriter
i don't know about that - the CGI cutscene in the recent 360/PS3 game Marvel: Ultimate Alliance, of Galactus striding through the ruins of a planet he has consumed, is awesome and chilling...

i assume that the choice to omit him is focused more on limitations with regard to narrative length - trying to to tell a credible story about a humanoid planet-devourer would simply require far too much additional length for the movie.

Abe D

Agent
Real Name
Abe D
The giant Galactus is iconic and I would rather they had tried and failed rather than cop out like they've done. However, it could still work if they made Galactus appear ethereal like Zeus in the animated series, Ulysses 31...

(link to zeus at 1:11 min mark)

Andy Sheets

Senior HTF Member
My feeling is that if you're not prepared to try and do the classic "funny hat" Galactus on-screen, you probably shouldn't be making Fantastic Four movies because the whole series is defined by that Krazy Kirby imagery.

JoSAN

Second Unit
Real Name
Home Theater Forum
Exactly. Look, it's not as if they are springing something that is completely radical and unproven onto audiences. Galactus, visually and conceptually, has been an accepted and beloved classic for forty years as is. But even if it wasn't, Darth Vader had a "funny hat" back in 1977 but people very quickly accepted that as part of the way that universe is. It's basically what any audience has to do in any movie.

AICN has its reason for thinking Fox is against the classic look of the character: http://www.aintitcool.com/node/32330
I think it has more to do with money than anything else. A giant swirly thing in space is cheaper for Fox to do than create another detailed CGI model and cast another famous actor to voice him.

Speaking of which, I wonder if casting Fishburne as a poor man's James Earl Jones is a effort to make this space epic storyline seem more "Star Warsy"? Not that Jones would make a suitable Silver Surfer either -- maybe Galactus. But casting Fishburne to voice Silver Surfer sort of screws up actually showing us Norin Radd in a prequel.

I have only two things to say and I can only hope that Tim Story or Fox is listening:

1) The Silver Surfer should have a soft, reflective and poetic kind of voice, not a deep, resonant one that you hear on movie trailer adds. It's part of his character.

2) A humanoid, albeit gigantic, Galactus is essential because it's the thematic point of the character. He considers himself of more importance, on a greater scale, than the life forms on the planets he consumes, JUST AS human beings consider themselves of supreme importance to all life on Earth -- eating whatever living creatures they want to and changing the climate to suit their needs. To turn Galactus into some vague, cloudlike alien will take away the relatability and the parallel of this message.

Norm

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Norm

Even though I hate the Ultimate Universe. Those clips are great. I would rather watch a cgi movie closer to the CB rather than a live action scared of the true look of the characters hack job. Marvel shouldn't let directors direct their movies if they are going to shy away from what they are.

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg

That report is wrong. It's not a storm cloud. Galactus is a brain cloud, and the only way it can be defeated is for Reed to jump into an active volcano on the island of Waiponi Wu.

Jerome Grate

Senior HTF Member

Off topic a little bit, is this really going to be a movie. It says movie clip and if this was going to be a movie, I'd get this or see it in a heart beat.

JonZ

Senior HTF Member
Thats from the game Ultimate Alliance. It had CGI scenes throughout - telling part of the story, giving in you info need for future battles, consequences of your actions,etc.
Very cool game. That Galactus fight took awhile to figure out how to beat him :) (When Watcher said we have to beat Galactus, my brother said "god no, please not galactus")

My brother and I play these Marvel role play games together when they come out. It gives us a excuse to be lazy for a week or so.We were able to complete this as well as the 2 previous Xmen Legend games. Theyre alot of fun to play, its fun being these characters and using their powers.

A note for old timers is theres a board where you have to fight Arcade and you actually have to walk up to a video game machine and play Pitfall to get a key with Capt American going through the board. I nearly fell off my chair laughing at this. You can see Pitfall at the end of this clip...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xpf9K...elated&search=

X-Men Legend and Ultimate Alliance are highly recommended. Theyre both Role Playing Games with a team of 4 you can interchange from many characters. Theyre alot of fun to play.You can find clips on youtube.

Norm

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Norm

I noticed that some of the hero's like Capt. America & Thor looked like Ultimate versions. But I did notice there seemed to be regular 616 heroes there. Anyway I'm not up to date on everything going on CB wise anymore. All I know is from what I've learned from the Ultimate Universe I hated. I'm surprise they called a 616 Universe game Ultimate. The Ultimate line IMO has taken the stance that the movies have taken the everything has to fit perfectly & lets tone down the looks of the heroes when possible.

Andy Sheets

Senior HTF Member

The Legends games aren't quite fish or fowl. For the most part they're based on the classic comics, but the developers will randomly toss in elements from the Ultimate continuity at times; e.g., the X-Men Legends games are much closer to 616, but in X-Men Legends 2 there's a stage in which you meet Nick Fury...and he turns out the be the "Samuel Jackson" Fury from The Ultimates. But they do offer numerous costume options so you can usually switch the characters you control to their various classic looks.

Ron C

Stunt Coordinator
That ultimate alliance clip has a great feel, felt like you were watching the cartoon. I'd much rather have a cgi version than a live action version; you can't really capture that same essence with live action. Too bad they made the TMNT geared to 5 year olds with all the dumb jokes, although then again that is what the TMNT cartoon series had. The marvel series generally had more "mature" feel. I would so watch an ultimate alliance if they took the clips from the game and made it a movie.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SaladinNagasawa
Recent bookmarks