What's new

Fantastic Four: Rise of the Silver Surfer (2007) (1 Viewer)

Norm

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Norm
I just saw it with Night at The Museum. I was a major Silver Surfer comic book collector in the 70's & early 80s and All I can say WOW!
htf_images_smilies_rock.gif

EricW

Senior HTF Member
i just saw the trailer on apple and i thought it was pretty bad - the actual surfer i mean. it's been more than a decade since T2 and the surfer looks like the T1000 - and just as poorly rendered and animated. T2 was cutting edge back then, FF2 has no excuse. the flying and camera movement was okay
(par for the course, but not as good as superman returns) but the surfer needs work.

some people might say 'well he's supposed to look like that, how would YOU do it?' well, i'm not in the biz so i don't know, but even with the bad texturing aside, the movement looked pretty bad.

Jose Martinez

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jose Martinez
As Neo would put it: WOAH!!!!!

Loved it!!!

Is this teaser playing in the theaters? If so, before which movie? I just have to see it on the big screen.

Jason Harbaugh

Senior HTF Member
It played before Night at the Museum, at least at my screening. Thought FF1 was horrible, and this doesn't look much better. I know nothing about the Silver Surfer, so maybe he is one bad ass villian? That could help, otherwise it isn't look good based on that trailer.

Norm

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Norm
Are you guys kidding me. That trailer was Awesome. I think people just like to nitpick.

EricW

Senior HTF Member
if you want awesome, see the Transformers trailer :)

even Bay Bashers would have to say it rocks (the trailer at least)

Andy Sheets

Senior HTF Member
It looks like they've got a bigger effects budget than the first one, so that's nice. Until they get some better talent on the film, though, I'll still be passing it over.

Jose Martinez

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jose Martinez
There's a big difference between a TEASER and a TRAILER folks. Even the first Transformers teaser had naysayers naysaying.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino

Or maybe they just have a different opinion. Imagine that.;)

Norm

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Norm
How would you not make him look like the T-1000? When they are both Silver, Please Explain?

DavidPla

Senior HTF Member
That's true. If anything the T-1000 LOOKS like the Silver Surfer, not the other way around.

EricW

Senior HTF Member
well, there's many variations of a metallic texture. more reflective, less reflective (as in more reflections of the surroundings vs. less or none). then there's smoothness. and how detailed do you want his body? and like i said, animation. one of the biggest giveaways to ANY "digital dummy" is animation. look at Blade 2. or Matrix Reloaded. it's not just the skin tones or textures, they ~move~ like a cg stick figure. Silver Surfer was the same.

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg

He's actually kind of conflicted. He's a good man doing bad things. In the comics, the Surfer has been one of the noblest of heroes for decades now. He actually seems like an odd choice to appear in the second film--he seems to lack mass appeal--but I enjoyed the trailer. Reed ought to just have all of Johnny's clothes made out of unstable molecules.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino

I agree. I'm actually excited about another FF film, something I thought I never would be after the total disaster that was the first film. The SS does look cool too. Solid trailer.

David Williams

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Williams
I loved the first film... they nailed the feel of the Fantastic Four from my childhood reading of the comics in the 80s. I also loved the trailer for Rise of the Silver Surfer. My only, tiny nitpick is that they seemed to have changed/toned down the color and or prominence of the white hair at Reed's temples. They seemed almost imperceptible to my eye.

If I already had reservations about a live-action movie, this trailer sealed them in. I absolutely hate what they've done to both the vehicle and robot forms. As a child of the '80s, Optimus & Bumblebee just don't look like that! Definitely won't be catching this one on the big screen.

Norm

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Norm
I guess they don't want Reed to be perceived as to old. I also agree Tim Story got the feel right. I just didn't like the changes, the closer to the CB the better. I would prefer a bigger Thing maybe a cgi / suit mix.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
They're probably afraid to do that after the 15-foot CGI Hulk was laughed out of theaters. ;)

JoSAN

Second Unit
Real Name
Home Theater Forum
Glad to see people are pumped for FF after seeing this teaser. :)

I loved the first film and from the looks of this teaser, FF2 will have all the same great character elements as its predecessor only with fancier special FX, which I guess is important to moviegoers these days.

Considering how well the first film did despite all the (mostly exaggerated bandwagon) negative press, any positive press on this movie will no doubt propel FF2's financial success into, well, the stratosphere.

Can't wait for the full trailer (with maybe a glimpse of Galactus?)

JoSAN

Second Unit
Real Name
Home Theater Forum
According to a recent Wizard interview, Screenwriter Don Payne says that movie obviously focuses more on the Silver Surfer than Galactus and that the Big G may not actually be explored as a character, but more as a force.

Payne: “As far as Galactus goes, the essence will be the same,” describing the entity as an amalgam of concepts combined with the original “Coming of Galactus” story from Fantastic Four #48 and “using elements from Fantastic Four #57-60, where the Silver Surfer encounters Dr. Doom."

It sounds to me that they are saving Galactus for an inevitable Silver Surfer spin-off movie. I'm glad Doom and Surfer will clash in the film as they did in the classic comic. I wonder if, like in the comic, Doom will use a device to rob the Surfer of his powers?

Read more of the interview here: http://www.wizarduniverse.com/movies.../003014399.cfm

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SaladinNagasawa
Recent bookmarks