What's new

Fantastic Columbia House deal from "Deals Page" (1 Viewer)

Rick J

Stunt Coordinator
a ch ordering question:

i'm trying to fulfill my membership requirements on my cvx order. when i go the ch/webdvd site to do so, i can't get it to let me change the number of dvds that count toward toward my membership. it says to to select how many dvds i'd like to count toward my membership from the drop-down menu, but i can't change the 1 to a 2 in that drop-down menu. what am i doing wrong? thanks, rick

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Rick,

first, you probably need to make sure you have selected regular price for as many DVDs as you want to apply to your requirement. If one of the DVDs is on sale for $10.98 or something, it can't apply to your requirement until you select to buy it at regular price.

It could also be a glitch with your browser. The CH site often doesn't work right with Internet Explorer. Try Netscape instead. I don't know what else could be the problem. I will probably be making a purchase from them soon, so I'll see if anything else comes to mind when I do that.

Rick J

Stunt Coordinator
john

at the risk of sounding like a doofus, what do you mean when you say make sure i've selected "regular price"? when i log into the site and make my selections, the site automatically puts them in my cart at the price of the current deal. right now, it's buy one at regular price and the rest are 50% off. i'm trying to get that second selection to be regular price instead of the sale price. my understanding from the site is i should be able to easily go to membership status in the lower right hand corner of the shopping cart page and bring up the drop-down window and change the number of selections i'd like to count toward my membership fulfillment. that's the point where i'm trying to change that "1" in the drop-down window to a "2" and it won't let me. thanks, rick

my understanding from the site is i should be able to easily go to membership status in the lower right hand corner of the shopping cart page and bring up the drop-down window and change the number of selections i'd like to count toward my membership fulfillment. that's the point where i'm trying to change that "1" in the drop-down window to a "2" and it won't let me.
In your cart, lower right hand corner as you stated, do you see a link that says "choose how many"? This is what takes you to the drop down to change the number of DVDs to apply to your commitment.

Rick J

Stunt Coordinator
chris

yes i do see the "choose how many". that's how i'm getting to the drop-down menu. it's when i get there that it won't let me change the number of selections to anything other than "1". if i can't get it to work, do you think ch will let me call in my order and still get the $5 off? has anyone had any success in ch allowing phone orders and still getting the $5 off? rick

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Rick. I'm going by memory, but I seem to remember there being something that lets you change the price of one more selection to regular price. Like I say, as I recall you have to change the price of one more DVD to regular price, and then you can change it to 2 DVDs applying to you commitment. I'll try it myself and see if I can come up with more info.

If you call in an order because of an online problem, my experience is you can't get the $5 off, but they can give you a 10% discount.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
OK Rick, here's the deal. I just placed my completion order and ran into the same problem. I'll tell you how I got around it. I noticed that when you click to change the number of DVDs to count, you can't change the number, but it is highlighted. I typed "2" "Enter" and "recalculate" and it put 2 at regular price. I actually think you don't have to hit "2." I think if you just hit recalculate it automatically increases the number of regular price discs to how many you have left in your requirement. You can then switch individual ones back if you want.

Edit.....When I entered "2" it still stayed "1" in the window, which is why I think you don't have to do that. Just click on the "recalculate" button.

Rick J

Stunt Coordinator
hi john

hey thanks so much for your persistance and help! i finally got tired of trying to get it to work so i called a ch csr and told him what was going on. he was very nice, took my order and gave me the $5 off (w/free s/h). i was surprised he was so willing to do so. anyways he said they'd be sent with the bill and i had fulfilled my membership requirement. done with that cvx. wait for arrival and open another one. thanks again. rick

btw here's the breakdown of cost for my cvx order:

enrollment:6 dvds $17.40
fulfillment:3dvds $43.85
total......9 dvds $61.25; $6.81 each

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Well, Rick, keep that in mind for the future. My total was about $1 more per disc, but I got more expensive ones for the fulfillment. I decided to go with The Good Girl and Moonlight Mile at $21.95 each, but that's about what they cost anyway. I also got Minority Report for $10.98 to get free shipping. My total came to about $7.70 each, but all 9 were over $20 discs, so I'm talking over $180 worth of movies.

Rick J

Stunt Coordinator
john

no matter how you look at it if you're getting the movies you want it's a deal! when you think about getting dvds for $6-8 each compared to $15-20+ in the stores that's unbelieveable. i figure that between the 2 cy#d accts and the 2 current cvx accts, that's 27 dvds for ~$180 compared to the stores at $15 each which would $405! WOW!

i'd like to thank tom rags for beginning this thread and all the great people at this forum for the awesome info. without it, i never would have started any ch accts. i never realized what a deal you could get from ch if you know what you're doing. i used to be one of those ignorant persons that still think of ch as a ripoff. boy with a little time and research on here and at dvdtalk forum, i'm simply amazed at the price you can get dvds for! thanks again to all those that contributed...rick

Holadem

Senior HTF Member
OK so, what is a decent deal right now for someone looking to cash in on the CH craze? Can I still get 9 DVDs at $6.81 each?

--
Holadem

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
You can if you use the "CVX" code and have a previous account number. Otherwise, the deals aren't quite as good. The price of admission is higher, but once you've completed a membership you can dig into the best deals when you return.

Charlie B. Ch.

Stunt Coordinator
I used the CVX code to sign up. I also think it is a good deal regardless.

Sign-up titles:

Die Hard I, II, III
Saving Private Ryan (DTS)
The Sixth Sense (Vista)
Pulp Fiction
Jackie Brown

Total included shipping & tax: $28.58.

I am about put it an order (free shipping) for fulfillment.

Pitch Black ($21.95)
The Signs ($10.98)
Thelma & Louis (2 disc) ($10.98)

I will also get $5 off with the first fulfillment order. Pending the second fulfillment (assume that I will also get the same deal - buy one and the rest is 50% of and free shipping with three DVD - the total should come down to about $104.68 for 13 DVD. $8.05 each for titles that generally sell for more than $16 (excluding shipping) on line, not bad at all.

Samuel_M

Agent
Greetings All!

I just wanted to jump in and say how much I've enjoyed this thread. You guys are awesome!

I know this probably doesn't really matter at this point, but I haven't received the rejection letter that some people reported they are getting concerning those CY_D codes that didn't ask for a credit card...I placed that order back on Feb. 6th and as of today, nothing from CH other than that initial confirmation e-mail...whether I will or not remains to be seem, but it doesn't look promising...

At any rate, I wanna try to get in on this CVX deal which, while not as good as the previous deal, is still a great bargain.

Having said that, I would like to get some clarification as to how this particular deal (CVX) works…

So I get….

5 DVD's for $.49 each
1 DVD @ $14
1 DVD @ $9
Obligations: Purchase 2 more in the next two years

I have to use my PSN # that I got with my previous account (i.e. the one I got when I signed up with CY4D) which I must then enter when I checkout.

If this is correct, then what I would like to know is what are the shipping costs involved? Free shipping on all 9? Or just the first seven?

Also can you select all nine at the same time?

I apologize if this seems all redundant, but after looking back at the previous posts, it was still a bit unclear, so if someone could reply back and confirm or correct anything I've just said that would be most helpful. Thank you for your time. I look forward to hearing from someone soon. ;)

Rob Tomlin

Senior HTF Member
Free shipping would be on just the first seven DVD's. IF you order your two "commitment" purchases at the same time (you should to save on shipping) it would be $2.99 for the first DVD, and $1.99 for the remaining DVD's (as long as it is the same order).

Also, try to find DVD's that you would like to own that have a SRP of $19.95. Make sure that you do NOT put these selections in your initial order....save them for your commitment. It should work out like this:

5 DVDs @ $0.49 each = $2.45
6th Optional @ $14.95 = $14.95
Free Shipping/Handling = $0.00
7th and 8th Fulfillment @ $19.95 each = $39.90
Shipping/Handling ($2.99 + $1.99) = $4.98

Total = $62.28 / 8 = $7.79 per DVD! :emoji_thumbsup:

Note that some states (including California) will have sales tax added to the above.

You are actually better off not purchasing the additional (7th) DVD for $9.95, as it actually raises the average cost per DVD!

Samuel_M

Agent
Rob:

Thanks for your quick reply...quick follow-up though...

CVX is good for eight movies and not nine?

Please let me know! Thanks again! ;)

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Samuel, you can actually get out better than what Rob says.

CVX lets you get 5 at $0.49 each including shipping.

You can get a 6th for $14.95 including shipping to reduce you requirement to 2 more.

You can get a 7th for $9.95 including shipping, but it doesn't reduce your requirement.

Right now, if you order three movies you get free shipping, plus this month they have a 50% off sale, so......

If you want to get out with the minimum total cost, get six movies for $17.50. Buy 2 movies at regular price of $19.95 or more and a third at 1/2 price, so you get free shipping. You are done. I believe the 50% off lasts until 3/28 and I don't know how long the free shipping goes.

Rick J

Stunt Coordinator
basically cvx is 5 for .49 w/free s/h with 3 more to buy in the next 2 years. you have the option to buy a 6th for 14.95 and then buy 2 more in the next 2 years. you can buy a 7th for 9.95 but it doesn't count towards your fulfillment, and unless you really want it, it obviously ups the average cost of each dvd. all these come with free s/h.

if you can quickly get approved, you can also take advantage of their current offer (until 3/24 i believe). that offer is buy 3 and receive free s/h. this is what i did that's why my post said 9 dvds. i did the enrollment order of 6 dvds and then did my fulfillment with the buy 3 with free s/h. keep a couple things in mind. in order to get the free s/h you have to buy 3. next, in order to fulfill your membership requirement, 2 of them need to be 19.95 or higher and then you get the 3rd one for 1/2 price.

along with that, if you go to columbiahouse.com/webdvd you will also get an additional $5 off your initial online order and you get the free s/h.

fyi, here's the breakdown of what i did:

enrollment:
5 for .49 = 2.45
1 for 14.95 =14.95
(free s/h)total=17.40

fulfillment:
2 for 19.95 =39.90
1 for 1/2 price= 9.98
1st online buy =-5.00
(free s/h)total=43.85**

**it's supposed to be 44.88 but the ch csr told me 43.85.
total for entire cvx membership=9 dvds f/$61.25(6.81 each)

btw, initially the csr repeatly tried to tell me the total was supposed to be $48 and some odd cents. i continued to insist that was incorrect and eventually he came up with $43.85, and i didn't argue. he said there's some many codes that sometimes they have difficulties. so if you have to call in an order make sure you know what the total should be ahead of time. good luck on a great deal! rick

Rob Tomlin

Senior HTF Member
I wansn't aware of the deal John is talking about. Haven't done the math, but it does look like you could come out even better (a little) doing it his way.

Yes, Samuel, technically the CVX code is good for a total of nine movies. But the initial sign up gives you the option to purchase a "seventh" DVD for $9.95 and free shipping. Sounds good, right? But, it actually increases the total cost of each DVD.

It would be better to simply purchase the initial six DVD's (including the one for $14.95) buy two more at $19.95 each,(or three using John's recommendation assuming you really get free shipping on all three DVD's) and immediately cancel and rejoin using the same code.

I have done this numerous times without a problem.

You can even have two open accounts at a time, but I'm not sure if that will work if you only have one prior membership number.

Good luck!

Rob

Bo D.

Grip
I have received 38 dvds since the beginning of Feb. using 4 cycd and 2 cvx orders for a grand total of $227.06 an average of $5.98 a disk :D.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks