1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Fantastic Beasts 3 (2021)

Discussion in 'Movies' started by Malcolm R, Nov 4, 2019.

1. Malcolm R

Malcolm R Executive Producer

Malcolm
    [​IMG]
    Title: Fantastic Beasts 3

Genre: Fantasy, Adventure, Family

Director: David Yates

Cast: Eddie Redmayne, Johnny Depp

Release Date:

Runtime: 0

Plot: The adventures of writer Newt Scamander in New York's secret community of witches and wizards seventy years before Harry Potter reads his book in school.

Filming begins in February. The setting will reportedly shift to Brazil.

https://ew.com/movies/2019/11/04/fantastic-beasts-3-2/

2. Jake Lipson

Jake Lipson Lead Actor

Jake Lipson
    It is shocking to me how little I care about this. I'm sure I'll end up seeing it, but I read this this morning and just rolled my eyes, instead of feeling excited.

Brazil? So all of these characters who live in New York, who the script jumped through hoops to bring to Paris in the last movie, are all going to have to find some convenient reason to all wind up in Brazil at the same time too? Really?

Oy.

3. Josh Steinberg

Josh Steinberg Executive Producer
    Reviewer

Josh Steinberg
    Why Oy?

It’s called storytelling. They’re wizards who can blink an eye and materialize anywhere in the world, who are in the midst of a world war. I don’t see the problem here.

That’s part of my issue with how every little plot point must now be revealed and dissected in advance and preapproved or preagonized by franchise fans. Why not just watch the movie and see where the story goes? Either people will like it or they won’t, but I don’t see how parsing shooting locations two years in advance of the film’s release accomplishes anything.

I also don’t understand having faith in and enjoying a writer’s work for decades, and then deciding that because of one recent movie or piece that didn’t meet some people’s expectations, now means that this person must never be given the benefit of the doubt ever again.

I am going to assume that based on my nearly 20 years of following and loving Rowling’s work that I will be more likely than not to enjoy this, and will proceed accordingly.

DavidJ and Neil Middlemiss like this.
  4. Adam Lenhardt

Adam Lenhardt Director

It feels like franchise inertia is the only reason this is getting made.

Jake Lipson likes this.
  5. Malcolm R

Malcolm R Executive Producer

Malcolm
    The second film was still a big hit, earning over $650 million worldwide. If the third one continues to diminish by a large percentage, then they may re-evaluate.

6. Darby67

Darby67 Screenwriter

Sean
    I am huge fan of the Potter books and films, but I always felt that trying to get 5 films out of Fantastic Beasts was a bit much and a naked attempt to squeeze every last cent of Potter fans worldwide (which is, of course, the motivation for every studio's film franchises). I hate to say it and I hope I'm wrong but this franchise is starting to smell a bit musty...like the Pirates of the Caribbean....

dpippel likes this.
  7. Jake Lipson

Jake Lipson Lead Actor

Jake Lipson
    Because the plot mechanics used to bring everyone to Paris in the last one were ridiculous.

Enjoying her work for decades is exactly why I will give this movie the benefit of the doubt by purchasing a ticket to see it. However, both The Crimes of Grindelwald and Harry Potter and the Cursed Child are terrible, so Rowling's expansion of this universe after the end of her initial book series has been extremely problematic. The reason I liked the first Fantastic Beasts so much was because it went out of its way to not be a Harry Potter prequel, establishing new characters and stories in a different corner of this universe. The Crimes of Grindelwald bent over backwards to suddenly include all this iconography from Harry Potter at the utter expense of its own individuality and was too busy, too cluttered and not fun to watch, besides the fact that it broke franchise canon. So I think expressing some skepticism over the next one is warranted.

However, Steve Kloves (who wrote all but Order of the Phoenix in the original Harry Potter film series) is co-writing this one with Rowling, which is a good sign. My main problem with Crimes of Grindelwald is that she tried to write enough plot to fill one of her 800-page monsters into a movie that didn't have enough time for it all, which left everything in it underdeveloped. I hope that Kloves can come in and help Rowling distill her ideas and bring some shape and form to them that will work better for cinema.

8. Josh Steinberg

Josh Steinberg Executive Producer
    Reviewer

Josh Steinberg
    A) That’s an opinion, not an objective fact.
    B) With Cursed Child sold out on Broadway and London years in advance, there is clearly an audience that is enjoying that work. (Which Rowling didn’t actually write.) There is a difference between “this didn’t work for me” and “no one should enjoy this” and to my reading, your comments are starting to veer from the former to the latter.

I’m sorry, I don’t mean to come off as cranky, but I’ve enjoyed this series and am looking forward to this film, and it’s gonna be a long two years if every single development is going to be trashed without context or sense of proportion for that entire time.

It’s 2019 and the movie comes out in 2021. I’d rather look forward to the film than parse every utterance by every actor to read into how this movie is doomed to be terrible before a single frame has even been shot. I didn’t dislike the second film and I think it will likely play better in hindsight when it becomes more clear where all of it is going. You don’t feel that way and that’s fine, but man, it’s gonna be a long two years if one supporting actor making an offhand comment on where they might shoot part of the movie is the smoking gun proof that everything is doomed to be awful.

9. Jeff Cooper

Jeff Cooper Cinematographer

I'm fine if they don't go the whole 5 movie route and end it early, but they need to actually end it properly. If they just decide to stop making the films because they tank, and leave it open on cliffhangers and unresolved story threads, then I'll be pissed.

10. Jake Lipson

Jake Lipson Lead Actor

Jake Lipson
    I don't think that's possible. JKR said that the end of the series is in 1945, which we know from the Sorcerer's Stone novel is the year of the big duel between Dumbledore and Grindelwald. The second film took place, what, in 1927? I think it was like six months after the first one. Even if there is a massive time jump between the end of #2 and the start of #3, I don't see it being possible to adequately cover that much narrative ground in one film. Besides, if they were going to stop making them, they would just stop making them. They must believe that there is money to be made with the third. It wouldn't make any sense to spend the kind of money these films require just to wrap up something they aren't committed to.

I get what you're saying, but I'm not sure what other option they have. They need to make a really good movie that satisfies people who did like the second one and also wins back people who were alienated by it, like myself. The Crimes of Grindelwald grossed approximately $150 million less worldwide than the first film did, even though it had a higher budget. That's not the direction they want to be heading in. I'm pretty sure that Crimes of Grindelwald was still profitable, but if the third movie were to fall off significantly again, the they'd have to reevaluate how to proceed after that.

Making a really good movie is step one. If they do that, hopefully people will respond to it and success will come.

11. Ethan Riley

Ethan Riley Producer

I think after this they should do a prequel with Lily and James at school.

12. Jeff Cooper

Jeff Cooper Cinematographer

How about a SPEW spin-off mini-series?

13. Chris Will

Chris Will Screenwriter

Chris WIlliams
    Or turn the Fantastic Beast series into a TV show exclusive to HBO Max to try and pull in subs.

14. Ethan Riley

Ethan Riley Producer

There's already a SPEW animated series. I don't know what you're talking about.