Fantasia - Which version to buy?

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Jon_Are, Feb 22, 2003.

1. Jon_Are

Jon_Are Cinematographer

I'll be picking this one up soon, but I'm unclear as to which is more desirable - Fantasia 2000 or Fantasia 60th anniversary.

Thoughts?

Jon

2. ScottR

ScottR Cinematographer

Buy the Fantasia Anthology...you get both films plus an extra disc with hours of features in a cool boxed set. Both films are fantastic!

3. Patrick McCart

Patrick McCart Lead Actor

Patrick McCart
    Buy Fantasia 2000. Fantasia 1940 is the superior movie, but it's censored and dubbed.

4. Brendan Brown

Brendan Brown Stunt Coordinator

I knew they crop-censored it, but what do you mean 'dubbed'?

5. Patrick McCart

Patrick McCart

6. Brendan Brown

Perhaps they were going for consistancy and completeness...

I have Dario Argento's Deep Red, and since only about 70% of the film was dubbed into english, the english track does this incredibly eyebrow-raising mid-sentence transition into Italian and then back to English.

I quite like Fantasia 2000, if you have to get one, get that (the Gershwin / Hirschfield(R.I.P.) sequence is worth it by itself)

7. Jonathan White

Jonathan White Stunt Coordinator

Hi

I've just ordered Fantasia 2000 and wondered what the "star" introductions were like?

If I really like this I will then get the original. I couldn't afford the box set and buying them seperatly would save me £15.

8. Brendan Brown

Depends on your taste in stars. Steve Martin is memorable though

9. Edwin-S

Edwin-S Producer
    Supporter

I've just ordered Fantasia 2000 and wondered what the "star" introductions were like?
    ------------------------------------------------------------
    They're okay but rather bland. The movie is good but nowhere near the same level as the original FANTASIA. The Rhapsody in Blue sequence and the sequence with the flamingoes are two of the more memorable ones.

10. Kevin M

Kevin M Producer

I thought The Firebird Suite was utterly beautiful, really took my breath away.

11. JustinCleveland

JustinCleveland Cinematographer

Justin Cleveland
    I bought the Anthology a year ago, and don't regret it for a moment. It's outstanding. The Rhapsody in Blue segment, as someone here has mentioned, it glorious.

12. Tom Rags

Tom Rags Supporting Actor

The rhapsody in blue sequence is also one of my favorite DTS demo's to show how HT can really make a movie score.

13. Jim Peavy

Jim Peavy Supporting Actor

Are you saying, Patrick, that the original Deems Taylor narration has not survived complete?

14. Patrick McCart

Patrick McCart

15. Jonathan White

Jonathan White Stunt Coordinator

16. Patrick McCart

Patrick McCart

17. Dan Hitchman

Dan Hitchman Cinematographer

Fantasia 2000 has, obviously, a better score recording since it uses today's digital technology.

However, Fantasia is a far, far better film. It's like a lovingly conceived, and painstakingly rendered piece of art where as Fantasia 2000 is more cutsey and "kid friendly" with more of a frentic Saturday Morning cartoon feel with a lot more CGI than cell-drawn hand animation (except at the ending with the FireBird Suite, which was indeed fantastic and much more like the original Fantasia flavor than most of the other pieces). They really butchered the original concept of Fantasia too. 2000 was only 70-some minutes long (even with the rather bland intros.) whereas the original was just over 2 hours. Even taking into account the dialog parts they still cut out quite a bit of music.

The MTV generation with its ever shortening attention span is pretty sad IMHO.

I too am disappointed that Disney didn't just over-dub the cut parts of Fantasia with an impersonator and not the whole thing. As stated above, nearly all of Deems Taylor's dialog was available. Lawrence of Arabia's pseudo-director's cut had about 80-90% of the original dialog stems with the rest provided by impersonators of those cast members who were deceased by the time the restoration was done. The studio didn't say, "well jeez for the sake of continuity, we'll over-dub everyone's dialog with impersonators." Clearly something Disney (in their ever-growing wisdom) did do.

Dan

18. Brian Kidd

Brian Kidd Screenwriter
    Supporter

Yes, Scott MacQueen decided to dub the entire Taylor track for reasons of continuity. Apparently it wasn't just that paragraphs were missing, but that the material was cut in such a way that at times you'd get words cut from sentences and so forth. A back and forth track would be horribly distracting. As for the censorship, it's sad, but hardly worth not buying the dvd of the film. It looks and sounds better than it ever has on home video. Well worth the purchase price. The extras disc in the ANTHOLOGY is fantastic. The ANTHOLOGY as a whole is one of my favorite sets.

19. Brandon Conway

Brandon Conway captveg

Brandon Conway
    Since Walt himself changed the film and zoom-cropped the african american stereotypes on a re-release of the film, it doesn't bother me that it's not there. That was his right as the ultimate author of the piece.

As for the quality of the films - I love them both, and I honestly enjoy 2000 a bit more - the Firebird Suite is just brilliant.

The original is remarkable to me, more from an animation history perspective. I enjoy it greatly, but some of the segments are just too long, IMO. It is understandable that 2000 was seriously reduced in the length when compared with the original.

As for the introductions to the different pieces - I generally skip over them on both.

20. Dan Hitchman

Dan Hitchman Cinematographer

The censorship was originally approved by Walt Disney himself after he woke up and saw that it was demeaning to African Americans.

However, they should have done two things to the Fantasia DVD release to make it definitive:

1.) Include the full road show cut FULLY restored (as a good a quality as Snow White) with the censored bit "unzoomed" with the impersonator track for continuity. They could have even had a small intro by Roy E. Disney talking about why the scene was originally "bleeped" out and why it was included in this set.

2) Added the extended version FULLY restored with ALL of the surviving Deems Taylor dialog preserved without an impersonator and placed it on a second disc. Missing pieces of dialog would be subtitled. This would have at least given film preservationists something for their libraries and we wouldn't have to be bothered by a poorly done over-dub.

I have to disagree with Brandon Conway on one thing, I felt the original Fantasia was of a decent length and Fantasia 2000 was just too darn short.

Dan