Fantasia 60th Anniversary Edition - DTS

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Ralph Summa, May 27, 2003.

1. Ralph Summa

Ralph Summa Supporting Actor

I picked up the original Fantasia yesterday and I could not seem to get the DTS 5.0 track to play. Each time I selected the DTS track in the menu, it came up 2.0 and the DPL II took over. I thought it could just be the intro, but it never came out. I did not get any of the DTS in the display. The DD 5.0 track played fine when I chose that one. I also picked up Fantasia 2000 too and the DTS track played fine as well.

I searched all morning but could not find anyone else who reported this problem.

Is this a misprint on the DVD packaging?

Ralph

2. Brendon

Brendon Second Unit

Ralph,

Assuming you bought the region 1 version of the film, it does indeed have a DTS soundtrack - the packing is not a misprint. As far as I am aware, the DTS track is half bitrate and is 5.0 rather than 5.1.

Not having heard (obviously!) the film's original Fantasound soundtrack, the 5.0 track sounds wonderful. Never having had the laserdisc, I had only ever heard the Dolby Surround encoded VHS stereo track. Needless to say the 5.0 tracks (esp. the DTS one) is a vast improvement.

Brendon

3. Ralph Summa

Brendon,

Yes, I do have the Region 1 version and I do have the option to chose DTS 5.0 in the Audio Set-Up menu so I guess my question was flawed. Is it possible that the disc is poorly flagged?

I was playing the movie for my three year-old and she was beginning to lose patience with me as I kept flipping back to the menus. She just wanted to see Mickey in the funny hat.

I'll give it another go after everyone's asleep. I've never had any problems with any other DVD's DTS track, but it could be plain old operator error.

Thanks,

Ralph

4. JustinCleveland

JustinCleveland Cinematographer

Justin Cleveland
    Ralph,

I've never tried the DTS track on Fantasia, I'll give it a run tonight and let you know...

But I'm wondering if, because it's not sending out a full 5.1 signal (5.0) , and you've got your receiver set to switch any non 5.1 signal to DPL, that it's seeing a 5.0, thinking "not 5.1" and it's kicking in DPL. Just a theory. I'll try it when I get home!

5. Ralph Summa

I'm an idiot. I threw in another DTS disc today and it read 2.0 as well. I swear that it read 5.1 DTS yesterday, but I must have been looking at DD in my frustration. Anyway, that's when I realized it was a player set-up problem. I bought a new Panasonic CP72 last month and I forgot to switch the DTS signal from PCM to Bitstream. Once I did that Fantasia was 5.0 DTS and Fantasia 2000 was 5.1 DTS. Looking forward to watching them again.

Now I'm trying to think of how many DTS movies I watched in the last month. :b

Ralph

6. JustinCleveland

JustinCleveland Cinematographer

Justin Cleveland
    "Geez, I don't know what this hullabaloo about DTS is, it sounds worse than Dolby Digital! This stuff is crap!"

Tee hee. [​IMG]