Fantasia 2000 - Surprising!!

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by JohnSC, Feb 2, 2002.

1. JohnSC

JohnSC Stunt Coordinator

I just watched Fantasia 2000. I must admit I was sceptical but I am now a convert. If you want a DVD that will bring out the subtleties of your HT this is it. There are no explosions, gunfire, tornadoes etc. that we all love but it will test your mid to high end sound range as well the odd deep bass sound generated by the orchestra. You will also notice how well matched and balanced your speakers are. Video gets a test too with the huge colour range produced by the animation.
    Maybe not the best DVD to watch with the boys but it has its place!!! [​IMG]

2. RAF

RAF Lead Actor

Fantasia 2000 has been one of my MUST DEMO discs ever since it was released last year. Lots of great sound and visual "events." The Firebird (last segment) for example is tremendous in its ability to show off the dynamic range of your audio system.

Highly recommended.

3. Jeff D.

Jeff D. Supporting Actor

The Winnipeg HT crowd just KNOW I'm gonna pull out the Fantasia 2000 disc when I do a demo.

It has always been one of my favourites, if not THE favourite. Part of it is knowing that not many people use it, but it is also just a great demo.

My favourites are (forgive me for forgetting the names proper) the sequence with the pink flamingos and the yo-yo. It isn't mind-boggling, really, but the colours and the music are nice and its short and sweet - plus it always gets people laughing.

The piece de resistance, however, is the Firebird Suite. Absolutely stunning and in fact it is a true test of your system's dynamic capabilities. It has many quiet, subtle passages, but it also can slam you into your seat at certain points.

An excellent demo disc, and an excellent film as a whole.

/Jeff

4. Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein Founder
    Owner

Ronald Epstein
    I always disliked the original Fantasia.
    Just like "2001: A Space Odyssey", it is one
    of those films that is difficult to watch, but
    I bought it nonetheless for its historical value.
    I am sure you can imagine my hesitance to
    even try to watch Fantasia 2000. But
    like John, I was thoroughly surprised.
    The Gershwin sequence is my favorite.
    It is one of the best demo discs out there.

5. rutger_s

rutger_s Supporting Actor

I love the Fanatasia 2000 disc especially when listening to the Piano Concerto No. 2 sequence and Le Carnaval De Animaux.

By the way, have you guys listened to the audio commentary with the Segment & Art Directors(the second commentary option)?

I suggest you turn it on and pay close attention to the commentaries for The Sorceror's Apprentice & Pomp and Circumstance. Three "friends" from the past drop by for two very entertaining commentaries.

6. Douglas R

Douglas R Cinematographer

Doug
    I also far prefer Fantasia 2000 to the original Fantasia. My favorite sequence is The Pines of Rome with the whales flying through the sky which, for whatever reason, I find incredibly moving and inspiring.

7. Sam Davatchi

Sam Davatchi Producer

You saw Fantasia 2000 for the first time on DVD? That’s a crime! You should have seen it the way it was supposed to be seen. At an IMAX theater and close to the first day of 2000! Of course I met all those requirements and I will never forget that flying whale sequence in IMAX for the rest of my life! Even a real theater doesn’t do justice to that sequence!

8. RAF

RAF Lead Actor

I agree that the Fantasia 2000 IMAX presentation is something that you have to experience (and I usually don't say that about a lot of movies due to the state of many theaters). Well worth the risk of "sticky floors."
    [​IMG]
    And Ron Epstein knows exactly what I'm talking about regarding the wide dynamic range of The Firebird Suite sequence since he was able to experience it first hand in my HT, right Ronbo?
    We all have our favorites in Fastansia 2000. I'm a big Gershin and Hershfeld fan so the Rhapsody in Blue segment is awesome to me. (The pile driver scenes will separate the men from the boys in subwoofer territory). I also can watch the Pomp and Circumstance segment over and over. Interestingly, the Pines of Rome segment isn't one of my favorites compared to most of the others.
    Different strokes and all that, I guess.

9. PhilipG

PhilipG Cinematographer

I love the Shostakovich music in the Steadfast Tin Soldier sequence best, although for demo material, I love the big "jolt" in the middle of the last sequence (you know the one I mean).
    I am certainly glad I followed my whim and saw Fantasia 2000 at the London IMAX cinema. Terrific stuff. [​IMG]

10. Jason Whyte

Jason Whyte Screenwriter

The DVD release of Fantasia 2000 is brilliant, agreed. How the film uses imagery and music to create this perfect balance of artistic quality is admirable.
    In many ways, a good home theater system could even improve on the overall experience. I never saw "Fantasia 2000" at IMAX in Vancouver, unfortunately. I would certainly have went to a 9pm show of it because there's no way I could have gotten through a theater full of screaming children (when I saw the re-release of Fantasia back in 1990, even at 10 years old, I was pissed off at all the people talking through it, crying babies, popcorn rustling and kids running around) through this film. Dead silence is REQUIRED to experience any film, but this one is a must.
    I know Mark McLeod and I agree on this, because even with only 100 people at a morning show of "Beauty and The Beast" two weeks ago, I wanted to leave because kids were kicking seats, saying lines in the film before they were actually said and singing along with the music. (That was BEFORE "Dennis The Operations Manager" shut off the sound to the credits to give free passes because the film started late)
    Ok, enough ranting. Just get the DVD, and TURN IT UP!

11. Brian Kidd

Brian Kidd Cinematographer
    Supporter

FANTASIA 2000 was originally intended to be seen on a regular movie screen. It was animated with that AR in mind. The IMAX thing came at almost the last minute. That being said, the IMAX presentation was spectacular.

12. John_McKittrick

John_McKittrick Stunt Coordinator

Yeah if you haven't seen Fantasia 2000 in IMAX you haven't seen Fantasia 2000.

John

13. Scott-C

Scott-C Supporting Actor

I didn't see Fantasia 2000 at the IMAX (my loss!) but I agree it's pretty amazing on an HT. Just the colors alone are beautiful on a widescreen TV, and then there's the sound - very clear and a great use of all speakers. This one was much more enjoyable than I ever would have imagined.

14. Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden Producer
    Reviewer

Kenneth McAlinden
    The "Showcase Sampler" segment on Fantasia 2000 is probably my most frequently played demo and it removes the need to decide which segment is the best demo by highlighting them all. It is also a completely useless feature except as a demo. [​IMG]
    Regards,

15. Mark Zimmer

Mark Zimmer Producer

I didn't see Fantasia 2000 in an IMAX because Disney and the one IMAX theatre in Wisconsin couldn't agree on terms. [​IMG]: But the disc is definitely wonderful....the Firebird sequence makes me tear up every time!

16. Sam Davatchi

Sam Davatchi Producer

I remember Disney made an IMAX somewhere just for Fantasia 2000!

17. Bob_L

Bob_L Supporting Actor

Bob Lindstrom
    Yes, Disney built an IMAX theater about five miles from my house in Los Angeles. Then tore it down after the Fantasia 2000 run was completed. My wife and I saw Fantasia 2000 there twice. A remarkable experience. This is one of the few "modern" Disney achievements that, I believe, surpasses the so-called classics in every way.

Way to go, Roy.

I worked at Disney (in the interactive division) when F2K was being made and the Disney execs were kind of making fun of Roy behind his back for his "anachronistic" interest in making a new Fantasia. Were they ever wrong.

Disney execs. Wadda buncha jerkz.

18. GlennH

GlennH Cinematographer

Glenn
    Agreed, this is a great disc.
    This should probably go in "coupons and bargains" section, but since it's being discussed here ...
    For those who are interested in picking Fantasia 2000 up you can't beat the deal at overstock.com right now. They have it for only $12.99, with free shipping. And there is a 5% coupon you can use.
    See dvdpricesearch.com for details.
    You can also see various overstock.com coupon offers listed here:
    http://www.jumpondeals.com/bystore.php3?start=K&stop=O

19. Scott D S

Scott D S Supporting Actor

Scott Saslow
    Ah, Fantasia 2000. I love it despite having mixed feelings about the first one. My favorite segment is the Shostakovich/Steadfast Tin Soldier segment. I actually cried after I saw it. (Long story short: I had just been rejected by a girl I really liked so the story of love kinda hit too close to home [​IMG])

20. Rob Tomlin

Rob Tomlin Producer

Great movie. Great video quality. Great audio quality. Great music.
    What else could you want? One of my very favorite DVD's!
    [​IMG]